LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: September 19, 2016, 11:44 am 

Gotta love that high pitched "WooHoo"

You may want to check your steering layout. In that LH turn facing the camera, the outer wheel appears a lot more turned in than the inner wheel turned out. Wrong way around IMO.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 19, 2016, 12:00 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Gotta love that high pitched "WooHoo"

You may want to check your steering layout. In that LH turn facing the camera, the outer wheel appears a lot more turned in than the inner wheel turned out. Wrong way around IMO.

Yeah I saw that too, but like I said this was with out any kind of alignment at all including adjusting for ackerman pr bumpsteer.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

Last edited by FieroReinke on September 19, 2016, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 19, 2016, 12:04 pm 

Way cool Chris! Congrats!

PostPosted: September 20, 2016, 8:26 am 

So an interesting thing happened last night...my wife discovered my build log. I guess I just never told her about it. I wasn't trying to hide it from her, but looking back I never clearly told her about it. She spent most of the evening in front of the computer reading through my build log start to finish. She said it was great way to reminisce about the last three years and get a better understanding of all the work that has gone into the car.

Chris

PostPosted: September 20, 2016, 5:20 pm 

Good thing you deleted those posts about... well, you know the ones. BTW, congrats on the first drive.

PostPosted: September 21, 2016, 3:49 pm 
We are Slotus!

nick47 wrote:
Good thing you deleted those posts about... well, you know the ones.
Yeah, not to mention the videos. I still wonder how you got the pantyhose on that chicken, though... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 21, 2016, 11:01 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Good thing you deleted those posts about... well, you know the ones. Yeah, not to mention the videos. I still wonder how you got the pantyhose on that chicken, though...

What worries me is not how but where did you learn to do that, and why?

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 22, 2016, 7:44 am 

FieroReinke wrote:
So an interesting thing happened last night...my wife discovered my build log. I guess I just never told her about it. I wasn't trying to hide it from her, but looking back I never clearly told her about it. She spent most of the evening in front of the computer reading through my build log start to finish. She said it was great way to reminisce about the last three years and get a better understanding of all the work that has gone into the car.

Well, at least she knew about the car....
I'm having a ball waiting for mine to figure out just what is on the build table...

PostPosted: October 3, 2016, 8:55 am 

bad news. Looks like I have some engine trouble. I noticed a lot of smoke out the exhaust and lots of moisture. Pulled the dipstick and chocolate milk. Pulled the oil fill cap and chocolate milk. Great. I guess I either cracked a head or blew a head gasket. I did a compression test last night. The engine was cold and I forgot to open the throttle but will redo it tonight after I change the oil and warm the engine.

Dry and cold

1 - 190
2 - 110
3 - 115
4 - 140

wet and cold

1 - 190
2 - 110
3 - 130
4 - 180

When I was having issues getting the engine to first run I did a compression test the same way, cold engine closed throttle, dry

1 - 170
2 - 110
3 - 140
4 - 160

I hope it is just a head gasket, but I will pull the head and have it checked before I do anything else. Fortunately the weather is starting to cool off and I won't be wanting to drive the car much anyways. This will make a good winter project.

Chris

PostPosted: October 3, 2016, 12:36 pm 

# 2 and #3 both being low would suggest possible head gasket. +1 and #4 look real good. Might try a leak down test and listen to where the air comes out. But as you suggest, the head must come off whether a head gasket or valves.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 3, 2016, 3:22 pm 

Typical head gasket. Make sure to use a straightedge (a good carpenter's square will do) to check for a low spot on the block between the cylinders, and on the head.

Use a gasket scraper. *Don't* use the Scotchbrite cookies. They're fast and convenient and sold for that purpose, and they'll hose your mating surfaces in minutes. Gasket designers hate those things.

PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 8:39 am 

I pulled the head this weekend after everyone left from the unofficial Missouri gathering. Couple of issues. First I couldn't see anything wrong with the gasket. It is a multi layered steel gasket but no problems that I can see. Second the head will need to be shaved, if it can be once the machine shop checks it out. I can see daylight under my straight edge between cylinders 2 and 3. Everywhere else looks ok. Third, it looks like a electrode broke off a spark plug on #1 cylinder at some point in this engines life. There are a large number of divots in the flat part of the combustion chamber and part of the piston. The cylinder walls look fine as does the rest of the combustion chamber. Hopefully when the machine shop shaves the head they take care of the divots on the head. I went ahead and sanded down the divots on the piston. I guess a full rebuild or new engine is in my future.

Head Cylinders 1 and 2
Attachment:
20161015_181519.jpg

Head Cylinder 3 and 4
Attachment:
20161015_181526.jpg

Block Cylinder 1 and 2
Attachment:
20161015_182022.jpg

Block Cylinder 3 and 4
Attachment:
20161015_182025.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris

PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 10:38 am 

Quote:
First I couldn't see anything wrong with the gasket. It is a multi layered steel gasket but no problems that I can see.

Oh looky, looky! I see what appears to be evidence of failed head gasket at the head side (not block side), at 2 o'clock on cyl#2 and at 11 0'clock on cyl #3. Block appears to be just fine. Might be a stressed bolt that didn't hold pressure. I'd replace them all when reassembling.

PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 11:44 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Might be a stressed bolt that didn't hold pressure. I'd replace them all when reassembling.

Is this where I ask about replacing my torque to yield head bolts (which in theory need to be replaced every tear down) with the ARP head studs I see on those Saturday morning shows?

(stud jokes here)

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 12:23 pm 

May have been somebody was in there b4 and simply did not replace head bolts. ARP website is down right now. I've never used ARP and just use new replacement trq to yield bolts when working with this type fastener. I have had studs stretch too (MG engines)

New generic bolt kit for Miata is 30-40 bucks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next