LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: January 21, 2014, 10:43 am 

Ran into another problem with the rear diff. Looks like I read the Vodou prints wrong and put the seat back piece, SB3, approximately 1" too low. This worked out great with my side triangulation, but it puts my diff mount and rear suspension mounts lower than it should be. The nose of the diff is contacting the lower rail, LR12, when the output flange is at 90°. If I try to shift the diff further forward, a rib on the bottom of the diff rubs LR12. I will have to raise RA5, but I am not sure what to do with SB3 as it ties in great with the side traingulation. I do not have pics of these specific points, as I forgot to take my camera out to the shop last night. I will get them tonight and post them tomorrow, maybe under a new thread in the frame section.

PostPosted: January 22, 2014, 10:35 am 

Chris. You did not mention how much contact you have with the lower diff rib. But I would look at grinding the rib down for added clearance if every thing else works out with the diff in it's current position. I ground 3/4" out of my diff rib on one side for clearance. As long as you smooth out the ground down surface (no stress raisers) and do not make the relief radius on the small side, you'll be OK. Dave W

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 12:38 pm 

Its been awhile since I posted any progress, so I thought I might share with everyone. I have been working on adding as many tubes as I can to the frame before I start fully welding any joints that aren't covered up by another tube. This past weekend I think that I have reached the point, where I need to start closing up the joints. The only tubes I am missing are the upper tranny tunnel, floor triangulation, and rear panel support tubes. These will all be added after the frame has been fully welded and cut loose from the table.

I also have been spending some time prepping my original donor to sell. I pulled the 1.6 brakes and swapped them for the 1.8 brakes off my 96 donor. I swapped the oil pressure guage and sensor from the 1.6 donor to the 96 donor as the 96 only had a oil pressure switch and idiot guage. I also pulled a few interior pieces off the 96 for the 92 to make the 92 a little nicer and easier to sell. It all was worth it as I sold it for about a grand more than I had in it. Unfortunately I had to compromise with the wife and use the funds from the sale to buy a new mattress. She puts up with my crazy projects so I need to make her happy everyone once and a while. They always say "Happy wife, happy life."

I did convice her to let me buy one thing from the proceeds and that is a drivers seat for the 7. I settled on the Kirkey 39900, 18" intermediate layback seat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 12:47 pm 

I also borrowed a tubing bender from a friend. Its set up for rigid conduit and not tubing so I may have to play with it some to get smooth straight bends. I tested it on a scrap piece of 1" .065, and it flattened the tube at the bend. I didnt use any lubricant and the tube was a little loose in the die. I have some 1' rigid conduit at the shop that the previous owner left. I may try slidding the 1" .065 tube into the conduit and bending them together with plenty of lube, then just cutting the rigid conduit off the tubing. Doing it this way the tubing should keep a nice smooth bend with out any deformation.

PostPosted: April 11, 2014, 9:18 am 

The frame is fully tacked and ready for final welding. Once that is complete, I will work on engine mounts, tranny tunnel and floor bracing. Then on to supsension. I also purchased a kirkey 39900 18" intermediate layback seat. It fits me and the frame great. WHen test fitting the shifter fell right where I like it. Can wait to have the engine mounted and the seat bolted in so I can really do the vroom vroom.

Attachment:
20140406_141448.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 11, 2014, 12:27 pm 

Come on, in a few evenings you should have it ready for the Gathering!!!! Get Julia (2 1/2 yr old) out there helping. Give her a grinder and some goggles and let her go to town!!!!! HaHa Russ

PostPosted: April 11, 2014, 2:53 pm 

What shape is the filler panel between the tail lights in on your blue donor? It's the same color as the Miata I just got for a daily driver and I wouldn't mind having a spare. Let me know what you want for it when you start parting it out.

PostPosted: April 11, 2014, 9:34 pm 

Cracked in a thousand pieces.

PostPosted: April 11, 2014, 11:45 pm 

Sad trombone

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 11:25 am 

Not much work on the car recently, lots of family time and when I am working on the car it mostly just welding up joints, exciting. I have also been parting out the donor miata. Sold the seats for $250, regulators for $125, Hood and lower arm for $60. Have someone interested in the doors and fender and headlights for another $275. All I need is anther $250 out of it and I will break even. I still have bumpers brake lights, turn signals, power mirrors, dash and the remainder of the tub/title. I think I will easily break even if not make some money on this even after taking the parts I want.

PostPosted: May 2, 2014, 11:27 am 

Chris, what are you using to sell the Miata parts? Craig's List? E-Bay? W.O.M.?

PostPosted: May 2, 2014, 1:04 pm 

Craigslist in St Louis, Springfield and Columbia and Rollanet for right around me.

PostPosted: May 2, 2014, 10:36 pm 

Thanks Chris, I'll keep that in mind when I start parting mine out.

PostPosted: May 19, 2014, 6:08 pm 

Fun with the plasma cutter....

Attachment:
MO03025320090001B_01.jpg

Attachment:
MO03025320090001B_02.jpg

Attachment:
MO03025320090001B_03.jpg

need to do a little more cutting, but there wont be anything left by the time you all come over during the midwest gathering.

PostPosted: May 29, 2014, 1:44 pm 

Well, not much has happened on my build. I took the first couple of pieces of the cut up miata to the scrapper and got $20 bucks for it. Hope to get another 80 out of the rest of it. Still selling parts. Multiple people have asked for parts and said they will take them after negotiating a price, but dont seem anxious to pick them up. I guess part of it is that I live an hour from St Louis, which is where I have them listed. Hopefully they come through. I decided to hold onto the title and dash for now, until after I get the car registered then I will sell them off.

I am really looking forward to the midwest gathering coming up in a week. I still need to do some more cleaning in the shop since there will be an evening at my place during the gathering. Hopefully everyone doesnt nitpick my frame to death.

I purchased a NB speed sensor for $25 so that will help with space around the tranny. This kinda forces which direction I will be going with on gauges as the miata cluster I have is cable driven.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next