LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
 Post subject: Re: Rod's Locost 5.0
PostPosted: February 17, 2013, 6:23 am 

drivers in the US can't do two things at once like looking whilst stopping.

they clearly don't come to a junction with the intension of leaving

follow too close to other cars

they look in front but only see about the distance of a dipped head light, anything further away is not in their field of vision

cruiser motorcycles with front foot rests always seem to have that foot over the center line

they lean to operate the controls of the vehicle but do not lean road craft

they tend to treat all junctions as four way stops ahd still don't know who has the right of way

periferal vision is of no concern and they can't turn their heads

and yes they brought the left lane when they brought the car

vehicle inspection is non existant in the US, in the UK it is severe and yearly and getting stricter every year, since 1963 rolling road brake testing has been compulsery every year, if you have so much as a split boot on a ball joint then it fails the test, if your energency brake travels more than 5 clicks of the ratchet it fails, if you windshield washer bottle is empty it fails, if the tread depth of your tires is below 3 mm it fails.

at least the cars are road worthy and english drivers are acustomed to narrow roads, the american driving test is a joke, when i took my test in texas, i just sort of drove around a bit and they gave me a license, in england, if your hands are in the wrong place on the steering wheel you will fail the test

to US drivers, driving is something they are doing whilst doing something else like reading a book whilst listening to the radio, they are drinking coffee, using the phone, playing the sterio too loud, looking at their touch screens, holding conversations, fighting with the kids in the back, fixing their makeup etc.

but yes the driver in the vidio was driving too fast for the road conditions but thats o.k. because the speed cameras are everywhere and i don't know how the driver actually found that much road without getting captured by one, unlike phoenix where they had speed cameras banned

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 20, 2013, 4:30 pm 

Rod,

Just wanted to say thank you. This is one of the best individual build threads I have ever seen anywhere on the internet. Going into this thread I was still 50/50 on building a locost but to see the outcome of yours, its just amazing.

I do have a couple questions when you get some time to answer:

What type of garage setup do you have? (i.e. 125v welder, tube bender, notcher, scroll saw, etc.)

Steering:
you said you used the Mustang II rack (i believe) and it was un-shortened. You also at one point asked if you could connect the outer tie rod to the top of the inner, did you ever figure this issue out without having to resort to a stacked tie rod?

I probably overlooked it, but there is YEARS worth of information in here to go through.

Thank you for chronicling your build.

PostPosted: February 26, 2014, 8:15 am 

Rod, so many great ideas and such a detailed build log. Thanks for the inspiration

PostPosted: February 26, 2014, 12:13 pm 

Thanks jydog, I'm glad it's inspiring. It's very satisfying to drive too. Good luck with your build!

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

PostPosted: August 3, 2014, 9:29 pm 

Awesome build thread! Totally inspiring. I have a quick question, did you modify the 442 plans at all to use the larger tube size? Also what rear end did you use?

PostPosted: May 1, 2015, 3:59 pm 

This post is mostly to bump your thread to the front page as many people (especially new) need to see the great work you have done. Your build is still one of if not my favorite and I plan to use some of your ideas.

I am ages behind schedule for my project but every time I read this I am inspired to go home and get to work.

1999 Dajiban build
Autcross car currently 2009 Mazda RX8 R3.

Build is a plus 4" width, 13B Renesis. Wish me luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38