LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: July 31, 2014, 10:53 am 

the moment that you deviate from the original lotus style rear, especially when your critics are lotus/locost lovers, you must expect critisism, even if the particular style adopted is an excellent alternative.

i deviated from the original 442 chassis and my nose and tail are completely different, although i consider it to be an improvement but that is a personal preference, i understand Cheaps point of view with regard to a tried and tested formula in the styling dept.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: July 31, 2014, 12:55 pm 
The voice of reason

Well, I suppose Super 7 clones look like Super 7s... Here's a nice Chevron that is more rounded though… So it's possible. I think.

Since your car is larger, a little more curve in it might actually keep it looking a little more in scale. Fiberglass works very well with curves and I think insisting on truly flat sections may give you trouble in production. Selecting resin for very low shrinkage would be key, I think. Maybe wrong, but I see the nose cones for my race car have issues with that. So curves play to fiberglass's strengths and the cost is amortized over many units.

I understand you need to start somewhere and that means slicing thru a multitude of difficulties and one hopes to choose the right things to do in the right order - so keep going for it and don't look back too much! Many of these issues can be re-visited and upgrades or revisions can be a good way to keep your product in the press every year as you go forward…

edit, forgot picture…

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 31, 2014, 1:50 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Cheapo I think they may be onto something. I mentioned that I thought it looked a little clunky and I think that might be to the much broader expanses of flat surface with very tight radiusessssss on the corners.

Some slight rounding of the surface and increasing the radius of the corners could still give you the Lotus 7 look but tone down the makeshift or clunky aspects.

I like the wide mouth of the radiator opening better than the smaller real 7 look, but possibly a slight downward angling of the front could also soften the lines a little.

It's proportions! when you widened it you need to do something to bring the balance back.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 31, 2014, 11:36 pm 

I think that rear flares, front fenders, headlamps and a windscreen including paint will have a rather large impact on the visuals.

PostPosted: August 19, 2014, 6:36 am 

Cheap,
I can't stand it anymore! I need more pictures! Please update! I can't SLEEP at NIGHT!!!!

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 4:17 am 

People may have noticed me missing recently, no? darn it!

I have been very tied up in some business projects which has taken my time up but worthwhile in the long run as the cars are eventually included and slated to make a few.

I have however found some time to make the rear fender flare extensions, now this may look like a 1940's motorcycle front fender but it is actually mold for the left and right hand rear fender flare extensions in one, just pop a finished piece out of the mold and cut it in half longways and trim it to suit.

I made separate fender flares so people could choose different width of axles and/or tires then trim the rear fenders and add the flares to suit.

Attachment:
flare.jpg

I was hoping to simply trim and reduce the radius of the a finished piece out of the mold and then make a mold from that for the front fenders but didn't work so well so yesterday I got a larger size tire , filled it inside with expanding foam and tomorrow will bondo putty it and make the front fender molds from that.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 30, 2014, 6:33 am 

So from that mold above I pulled a piece and simply split it down the middle giving me left and right hand fender extensions that will be positioned under the rear fenders adding strength as well as looks of course after trimming to desired shape.

PostPosted: August 30, 2014, 8:54 am 

Good idea, that. ^

PostPosted: August 30, 2014, 8:59 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Good idea, that. ^

I forgot to add why, it was done this way to allow for different width axles and tires, just trim to suit.

PostPosted: August 30, 2014, 9:15 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
I forgot to add why, it was done this way to allow for different width axles and tires, just trim to suit.
Great minds think alike! :wink: http://kineticvehicles.com/fenders.html

Not that it matter from where you are, but another advantage of that system is you can nest two fenders together, which cuts UPS shipping about in half (when items get big, they charge dimensional weight instead of weight weight).

PostPosted: October 12, 2014, 4:15 pm 

Cheap- after a blistering paced start, some of us a starting to worry- all OK? Is "Bit of a Bigger One" still moving forward? Will Cheap have another smartass answer for the :lurking: gallery? Or will he wait to be gigged by JD for not posting any more pictures for a while? Enquiring minds (even small ones like mine!) want to know!
Just wanted you to know were watching- some of your "out of the L7 box" solutions are very intriguing; can't wait to hear how the finished car drives/ handles! Chris :mrgreen:
PS: :cheers:

PostPosted: November 12, 2014, 12:16 am 

Bump! Cheapie- are you in there? :?: Haven't heard about this project in a while- U OK? Chris :cheers:

PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 2:06 pm 

one more bump for updates after 3 years!

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 11:50 pm 

I am interrested as well.

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 12:50 pm 

any progress to report?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next