LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rob7's 442e 5.0
PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 3:44 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into power-take-off u-joints but couldn't find any in 9/16" ID. Moving the water hose would probably work, but for simplicity I'm going have the input shaft shortened and TIG welded by the guy who's making my new driveshaft. Then, for most of the steering linkage, I'll use 3/4" DD so I can shorten shafts as needed to fit everything. I'll probably have to have a u-joint welded to the upper steering column too, since that's Scion/Toyota and 11/16" diameter.

PostPosted: March 4, 2017, 10:42 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_20170304_170502892_r.jpg

The exhaust is almost finished. I'm painting it with KBS XTC (Xtreme Temperature Coating).

Also, finished welding the spare tire mount. The rear fender brackets are almost mounted to the frame, and next I'll need to decide how to glue the brackets to the fenders themselves. I'm thinking of drilling holes in the brackets and using fiberglass + resin to glue them.

Soon, I'll remove the engine so I can add the fuel and brake lines and mount the steering components

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 17, 2017, 11:05 pm 

Exhaust: I finished painting and mounting the exhaust. I'll watch if the rubber exhaust mounts are going to work themselves off of the frame while driving. If so, I'll modify the mounts.

Rear fenders: Finished cutting the rear fenders, except for the part that rests against the 'trunk' aluminum. I decided to attach metal strips to the fenders with fiberglass. The strips bolt to the frame
Attachment:
IMG_20170408_150805400_TOPr.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3970r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3971r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3974r.JPG

Horn switch connection: I had removed the Scion rotary switch that sits inside the steering wheel, because I couldn't figure out how to solder to the tiny wires-in-paper. Also, I would only have the horn button on the steering wheel, so I didn't need all the connections for cruise and whatnot. I ended up using a paperclip with a copper rivet soldered to one end. The other end is attached to the steering column bracket. The rivet rests against a metal insulated disc that rotates with the steering wheel. When the horn button is pressed, the horn circuit is grounded and .. beep-beep
Attachment:
IMG_3976r.JPG

Wire labeling and detaching: needed to move the fuse box
Attachment:
IMG_3979r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3981r.JPG

Plate light caulking: I ended up just using regular sink caulking for the plastic lens on the license plate light. Otherwise, I know that having it mounted upside-down would allow water to get in easily.
Attachment:
IMG_3984r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3985r.JPG

Moved the fuse box: I needed to relocate it so the connections for the evaporator and heater core could pass through there. I'll make some kind of black cover later.
Attachment:
IMG_3994r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3997r.JPG

Brakes: I figured out the brake master cylinder sizes I would start with. 0.83" front, 0.71 rear. These are made by Howe. I also decided to use a Wilwood adjustable brake pedal, 7:1 ratio.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 17, 2017, 11:27 pm 

Clutch: I was unable to find a good way to use the Fox Mustang clutch cable. So I ended up converting to hydraulic. I stole the idea from a Cobra forum. So I'm using a 1-1/8" bore master cylinder and 7/8" bore push slave cylinder. However! Using a push slave in the conventional way won't fit aft of the clutch fork because of the limited space between the transmission and the driver footwell.

So, I came up with a bracket that would allow the slave cyl to be mounted forward of the clutch fork. I'll take a picture with it mounted. The right side of the bracket mounts behind clutch fork, and the yellow push rod pushes on the bellhousing. So, the bracket and slave cylinder move forward, pulling the clutch fork.

I didn't use a pull slave cylinder after reading that they are very prone to leaking. Also, the stroke is apparently not always long enough to full disengage the clutch on the T5. I didn't use a slave cylinder mounted inside the bellhousing, because fixing a fluid leak or bleeding the fluid would require the engine to be removed.
Attachment:
IMG_4001r.JPG

Steering rack: I got back the modified steering rack input shaft. The shaft clears the frame and lower radiator hose fine now. But, I just noticed the other day that it's not completely straight. It wobbles when turning :( So, I will contact the guy who modified it and see what options there are.
Attachment:
IMG_4021r.JPG

Steering rack inner tie rod extensions: These added 1" each side and will line up the inner pivots with the upper and lower control arm pivot lines. I'm using the inner tie rods that came with the rack (Proheader). Note: the threads on the inner tie rod ends (rack side) are 14mm, not the factory 15/16".

Attachment:
IMG_4006r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4007r.JPG

Outer heim joints: Drilled out the steering arm holes to 5/8" and used heim joints so they can be mounted above the steering arms (high steer?). The threads on the heims are 5/8" left-handed. But I could not find any sleeves to connect these to the inner tie-rods which are 9/16". For now, I cut a 5/8" threaded sleeve down and welded a big 9/16" thread nut onto the end. It's not a perfect job, and I hope to find the proper part before too much on-road driving.
Attachment:
IMG_4009r.JPG

Mounted the rack: will reinforce the brackets later
Attachment:
IMG_4010r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4012r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4015r.JPG

Added the firewall steering shaft bearing: and a short 3/4 DD shaft that connects to a u-joint connected to the Scion steering column shaft
Attachment:
IMG_4016r.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4018r.JPG

PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 11:48 am 

I'll be interested in your photos of the clutch setup mounted in place when you post them.

I've got an SN95 Mustang setup. It uses many of the same components as the Fox Body Mustang. My plan was to just make a new mechanism on the pedal box (yet to be designed and built) for the stock cable clutch using a quadrant from an aftermarket source. That would be more complicated than an extra hydraulic cylinder, but I wanted to avoid changing all the components inside the bell housing. Maybe your solution would be a better one than the one I have in mind?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 1:42 pm 

Hi Lonnie -

I'll get the bracket mounted and take some pictures soon.

I tried for a while to make the clutch cable work. Last iteration, I had tried using a small pulley near the firewall in order to make a 90 deg turn in the cable. This was just to make the cable reach properly while avoiding the exhaust headers. I made the pulley bracket/mount out of thin steel, but still used double shear holding the pulley, and I reinforced it a little. Seemed strong enough.

But, I didn't anticipate how much tension is actually in the clutch cable, and when testing, I bent the pulley bracket. I also messed up the splines in the throttle pedal that I naively thought could work as a clutch cable pedal... :oops: Since the clutch cable pulls directly on the clutch fork, the pedal-side of the cable has to be pulled with something like 300 lbs (IIRC).

Perhaps some kind of linkage would work in order to use a cable, but the whole linkage will need to be pretty strong. And you'll still need good leverage at the pedal - a long clutch pedal. I measured a bit, and it looks like there would be problems trying to fit one. But I'm definitely interested if you come up with something that can use a cable :cheers:

PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 2:02 pm 

OK, Rob, I'll be looking for those photos sometime in the near future. Nice progress on all you've done recently!

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 4:24 pm 

Thanks Lonnie

Ok here's the mounted bracket in action

The slave is facing in so that the bracket won't rub on the bellhousing. Seems to work ok. The clutch does disengage. I should make a better bracket with a longer adjusting bolt on the clutch fork. ALso, a longer hose would be nice. The clutch pedal doesn't feel all that heavy actually - the throw is a decent length though, hmm

Attachment:
clutchAction.gif

edit: added guh-jif

PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 7:56 pm 

Thank you, Rob. And, it's in motion too. Very cool!

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 17, 2018, 5:35 pm 

Rob7 wrote:
Clutch: I was unable to find a good way to use the Fox Mustang clutch cable. So I ended up converting to hydraulic. I stole the idea from a Cobra forum. So I'm using a 1-1/8" bore master cylinder and 7/8" bore push slave cylinder. However! Using a push slave in the conventional way won't fit aft of the clutch fork because of the limited space between the transmission and the driver footwell.

So, I came up with a bracket that would allow the slave cyl to be mounted forward of the clutch fork. I'll take a picture with it mounted. The right side of the bracket mounts behind clutch fork, and the yellow push rod pushes on the bellhousing. So, the bracket and slave cylinder move forward, pulling the clutch fork.

I didn't use a pull slave cylinder after reading that they are very prone to leaking. Also, the stroke is apparently not always long enough to full disengage the clutch on the T5. I didn't use a slave cylinder mounted inside the bellhousing, because fixing a fluid leak or bleeding the fluid would require the engine to be removed.
Attachment:
IMG_4001r.JPG

Hi Rob, I went a slight ly different route, I have a .750" Slave and a .750" Master, I have no information on Travel required @ the Clutch lever, so I may need to get a larger diameter master.
I am using a OBP Pedal box with Compbraco Slaves.
I have not checked for available substitute masters
Do you have info on how much travel is required to disengage clutch?
I have engine and transmission out of the car and no practical way to measure.
Thanks in advance.
AA
PS: At some point in time I´ll upload pictures of my problem solving.

PostPosted: July 17, 2018, 5:55 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The toe adjusters will work fine if you add jam nuts on each end. Otherwise they can rotate on the threads instead of at the balls.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 18, 2018, 8:38 am 

Contact Day Motor Sport in Tyler TX, 800-543-6238 for tie rod sleeves " toe adjusters".
They have LH/RH sleeves in one inch increments, in several thread sizes. Real good prices.
DaveW

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 4:14 pm 

Damn, it has been quite a while since I posted. I've been doing work on my locost here and there. The steering was finished a while back. I ended up getting a different mustang 18:1 rack with a shorter input shaft. I redid the steering rack mounts so it would be adjustable for bump steer. I got rid of the Scion steering column and when with a universal part made by ididit. It has better tilt and decent reach adjustment. It also has canceling turn signals and a hazard switch. I also changed to a nicer looking and smaller steering wheel. Almost everything has been removed from the frame. I turned the frame upside down so I could remove the rust on the bottom. Eventually I'll be able to add the rest of the bulkheads and the floor.

More recently, I finished the dashboard and its wiring:

Next will be the headlight switch:

and the steering column wiring (GM type):

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 6:01 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Hi Rob,

The dash looks great. I like to daisy chain the power and grounds on the instruments by having two wires crimped in each eye for all but the last gauge in the chain. Nice choice on the color and pattern. What pattern is the faux leather? PVC or PU?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 6:45 pm 

Thanks Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F -

I had originally wired the gauge lights/power/ground in series, but the way I did it placed the wires too close to the gauges. The wires would get in the way when mounting the dashboard. So I redid it this way to make it easier to free up slack in the wiring if needed. Probably not ideal but should work ok for now

The dash material is supposed to be recycled leather: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q1 ... UTF8&psc=1 When I was cutting the holes for the gauges, I could see strands of some other non-leather material here and there. But otherwise, the fabric appeared to be mostly leather. So it seems to be actual leather pieces bonded together. But who knows? If I could get real leather from somewhere legitimate, I'd prefer to do that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next