LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 7, 2015, 11:43 pm 

300D50,

First off, I'm assuming from your name and your comments you have some sort of 4G63 Ram D50?

And it is very steep. We only have two reputable engine shops we know of in my area. The farther away one is well priced, but generally only likes to work on American Iron. The closer shop is very good but extremely overpriced. They quoted me $1700 to line-hone, deck, and bore out the block, and buy new 2.4L pistons because it couldn't be made a 2.0L again. And that didn't include the head, or any work on the crank it might need. So...I either need to find another shop, or hope my engine is good.

I'm tackling the engine this weekend, I'll update afterwards with my findings!

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 1:00 am 

The name harkens back to a project to stuff a 3.0 I5 from a Mercedes 300D into a D50 pickup. ;)

I'd shop around for a place that doesn't gouge then...

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 11:45 am 

I would love to see how that project turned out, sounds really cool!

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: October 11, 2015, 4:31 pm 

Took the cylinder head off today. Worse in some ways than I thought, better in others.
This is what it looked like immediately after pulling the head and head gasket:
Attachment:
20151011_123306.jpg

Dirty, but honestly doesn't look too bad at first glance. All the dirt just got vacuumed out right away.
The next two are cylinders 2 and 3 respectively, 2 makes me really nervous.
Attachment:
20151011_123337.jpg

Just ball-hone it and call it good? What do you think?
Attachment:
20151011_123342.jpg

Cylinder 3.
This last one is the underside of the cylinder head. dirty as hell. but I don't really see anything alarming at first glance...
Attachment:
20151011_124227.jpg

What are your opinions? I think it is gonna be a lot of work, but I think it might be saveable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: October 11, 2015, 10:17 pm 
Always Moore!

Its hard to tell how deep the rust is from the pics but I'd probably vote for ball honing it. You're already in there.

PostPosted: October 12, 2015, 1:01 am 

Looks easily salvageable, just be sure to not go any more than absolutely required with the ball hone, or you risk making a coffee table out of it.

06 325xi
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: October 12, 2015, 1:29 pm 

hmm.

that rusty area is concerning, a bit. its quite possible that you could do a simple hone (with a three-stone hone) and have it come out okay. as long as you get a fine-grade finish with about a 40-deg crosshatch, you'll be fine.

in fact, if it was me, I'd chuck up my hone, squirt some cutting oil in there and have a go. piston-to-cylinder clearance is usually on the order of .002, with a outer limit tolerance of somewhere around .0025, before you need to think about boring the jug. it has also been my experience that - if you're using medium grit stones, it takes a whole lot of swiping the hone back and forth to open the cylinder up even .001.

it may be that those rusty areas are deep enough to be outside the bore limit tolerance, and honing the cylinder out with a ball hone (looks like a really aggressive bottle brush with little balls of abrasive on the bristle ends) with the idea of rubbing the rust off those irregular areas, won't really help you out, since even if they're cleaned up, the piston ring will just pass right by that little depression without sealing, and let more blowby through into the crankcase than it otherwise would.

in other words, the ring will seal above the rusty area where the cylinder wall is contiguous, and below it as well, but as it passes over the rust, combustion gasses will sneak right past the ring.

I'd still have a go with a three-stone hone though. it may clean up okay, won't know until you try. ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: October 12, 2015, 9:34 pm 

I've got a three-stone hone that I used to hone the cam journals on my E30's engine, I just hope it is big enough for these cylinders. I'm assuming I have to take the pistons out? If so, should I replace rings and bearings while I am in there? I have the necessary replacements I have just never done any bottom-end work before.

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: October 12, 2015, 9:52 pm 

It's super easy to do bottom end work, as long as the crank isn't damaged.

It's just tedious.

06 325xi

PostPosted: October 12, 2015, 9:57 pm 

Eric,
You may want to measure the depression first. It will give you a feel for how much of a correction is needed.
A ring and a feeler gauge will get you close. A snap gauge will also work.

Walt

PostPosted: October 13, 2015, 2:13 pm 

Walt,

You mean the depression that the rust has caused in the cylinder wall?

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: October 13, 2015, 10:29 pm 

Yes, that was what i was referring to.

PostPosted: November 2, 2015, 10:39 pm 

No progress over Halloween weekend. But in the last couple weeks I got the ball rolling to order the control arm kits from Jack at Kinetic. Decided to go with the unwelded kits to save money, and to just tool around with the setup before I commit to anything. My original goal was to have the front wheels on the car by the end of the year, but with how busy I am I don't think that will happen at this rate.

As for the engine, the oil pan was seriously beat up, and cracked in two places. I pulled it off, straightened it some, welded the cracks, and painted it. Looking at the rotating assemble is the first time I have actually thought the engine might have as few miles as I was told. I will post pictures this weekend but the bottom end looks near factory fresh. I will reserve judgement until I actually pull the pistons out, but I am optimistic for now.

More soon.

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 9:29 pm 

4.5 months later, the Lotus is hanging from the ceiling in my shop. I received my control arm kit from Jack at Kinetic, but they haven't even left my apartment, let alone gone to the shop. My E30 has taken the forefront of projects, and I have big, long term plans for it. On top of that, my work is expanding, and only getting busier and busier. Due to this, I've decided to put the Lotus up for sale. I learned a lot, but the project (aside from the frame on the ceiling) is taking up valuable space. I won't lie and say I'm not disappointed, but I am sure this is the right choice. For the sake of my other projects, life, shared space, and general sanity, I gotta drop a project. I already have a buyer for the RWD 4G63 drivetrain, so I am selling the frame, new control arm kits, miata spindles, steering rack, and steering column, plus any other parts you see you want if you come pick it up.

I'll post a for sale ad on this forum, and link to it here when its done.

I fully intend to stay around the forum with my E30 project, and watch other builds, as well as tackle a Locost build later in life.

Red 1989 BMW 325is