LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bob's SR20DET build
PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 8:55 am 

Some progress. This motor is blown and 3rd gear in tranny is bad. I am just using it as a mock up, so I don't accidently do something stupid with the good one.

Attachment:
DSC_0167.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0165.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0164.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0162.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0157.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0156.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 9:00 am 

and some more.....

I havent figured out yet how this is going to go in. It is 10 inches above the top of the frame which is high, but the oil pan and tranny is exactly on the bottom of the frame.
If I lower it, will have to cut cross member under the shuttle. I am thinking that is load bearing cross member.

This frame is McSorley 442+E frame.

Attachment:
DSC_0157.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0172.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0174.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0176.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0179.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0183.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 9:02 am 

I can still move the motor back 4-5 inches which will bring the shifter back a bit, but will still have to machine a remote shifter linkage and box.

I have Ricardo copy seats but they are too wide and wont fit.
Need to find smaller seats.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 9:41 pm 

Is there a build log with details on mounting a live axle mustang diff in a McSorley +442E chassis?

Looking for some help in mounting.

Thanks,

Bob

PostPosted: July 11, 2014, 9:50 am 

bevins wrote:
and some more.....

I havent figured out yet how this is going to go in. It is 10 inches above the top of the frame which is high, but the oil pan and tranny is exactly on the bottom of the frame.
If I lower it, will have to cut cross member under the shuttle. I am thinking that is load bearing cross member.

Attachment:
DSC_0157.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0172.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0174.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0176.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0179.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0183.JPG

You should be able to cut that lower cross member. Thats how it is done on the haynes chassis. You cut the center out of the lower, then add uprights to tie into the top cross. Then when you do you tunnel everything is further reinforced. Then you can alway come back a build in a bolt in cross member that goes around the trans. Also keep in mind when you do your motor mounts that is also acting as a sort of brace.

You can kinda see here how it was on my haynes.

This should also allow you to pull the motor back a bit further for the shifter location. Which I have to say looks like its pretty close to where you would want it.

PostPosted: July 13, 2014, 12:10 am 

DaveStruve wrote:
bevins wrote:
and some more.....

Attachment:
DSC_0183.JPG

You should be able to cut that lower cross member. Thats how it is done on the haynes chassis. You cut the center out of the lower, then add uprights to tie into the top cross. Then when you do you tunnel everything is further reinforced. Then you can alway come back a build in a bolt in cross member that goes around the trans. Also keep in mind when you do your motor mounts that is also acting as a sort of brace.

You can kinda see here how it was on my haynes.

This should also allow you to pull the motor back a bit further for the shifter location. Which I have to say looks like its pretty close to where you would want it.

Yeah thanks. I have the Haynes book also. I see what has to be done. Thanks.

My thoughts are I ned to cut that brace so the motor/tranny will go down a bit.
I need to get it off the table and onto some stands so I can see and adjust where everything must go.

I put the diff in but it is resting on the table, so I know what I have to do next.

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG

Attachment:
photo 2.JPG

PostPosted: July 13, 2014, 12:12 am 

Need to mount the diff for the ride height I am going to use, which I dont know what it really should be yet.

Going to order the stuff to fabricate the suspension, a-arms etc....
Any suggestions on what material? Would chrome alloy? or does it really matter jsut steel tubes.

PostPosted: July 14, 2014, 2:32 pm 
Always Moore!

Mild steel is fine. 1020, A513, or similar are easy to weld and pretty forgiving. Plus they're usually pretty affordable.

Good arm design and clean load paths are more important than material.

PostPosted: July 18, 2014, 9:53 am 

Anyone have the wheelbase of a McSorley 442E? I am looking at 98" on mine, which would make sense in that the frame is 4" longer and someone earlier said between 91 and 95 is the norm.

PostPosted: July 18, 2014, 10:24 am 

Hey! it was nice to meet you!! sorry i could not stay and talk longer.. anytime afther the business hours will be a lot of fun!

PostPosted: July 18, 2014, 1:11 pm 

My book frame wheelbase came out to 91-1/4", so I'd think 95"-96" would be about right. That 91-95 figure you mentioned might be the range for all frames from book to 442.

In any case the rear axle should sit pretty much directly under the 4" square shock tower plates. Put 2" blocks between the RU tubes and the bottom of the axle, and that's about your opitmum ride height. Suspension travel with a live axle is limited so you don't have a lot of room to play with.

It's good that you don't have your rear bulkhead tubes welded in yet. With your axle at it's normal height you want probably 2" between the top of the diff and the bottom of O3.

PostPosted: July 19, 2014, 1:45 am 

nick47 wrote:
My book frame wheelbase came out to 91-1/4", so I'd think 95"-96" would be about right. That 91-95 figure you mentioned might be the range for all frames from book to 442.

In any case the rear axle should sit pretty much directly under the 4" square shock tower plates. Put 2" blocks between the RU tubes and the bottom of the axle, and that's about your opitmum ride height. Suspension travel with a live axle is limited so you don't have a lot of room to play with.

It's good that you don't have your rear bulkhead tubes welded in yet. With your axle at it's normal height you want probably 2" between the top of the diff and the bottom of O3.

That would explain it. I am about 4 inches behind th rear bulkhead so that would bring it in tO about 94.

Thanks

PostPosted: July 19, 2014, 1:48 am 

bobbeysr27 wrote:
Hey! it was nice to meet you!! sorry i could not stay and talk longer.. anytime afther the business hours will be a lot of fun!

Yeah it was great to meet you. Well have to ge t together. Your operation looks really cool. You'll have to come see mine. I got a VMC and am looking forward to getting my locost at the same place yours are. Your two seven's ae really cool looking. Thanks for showing me them.

Bob

PostPosted: July 19, 2014, 10:48 pm 

Started welding chassis.

Attachment:
weld2.JPG

Attachment:
weld.JPG

PostPosted: August 12, 2014, 8:49 am 

Finishing up with the chassis. Tranny tunnel and bracing. Working on the brackets and suspension for the diff.

Attachment:
photo 4.JPG

Attachment:
photo 2.JPG

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next