LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CMC R1 Rebuild
PostPosted: July 7, 2014, 7:46 pm 

2014/07/07 Its a roller again! (small milestone) Drive shaft in place, steering all in place, all four wheels back on.

Tomorrow I'll get the engine and/or fuel cell back in and then its time for a four wheel alignment. A keen eye might notice that I swapped the new tires to the front and the old ones to the back, there's going to be some burnouts and donuts in the near future :D

PostPosted: July 7, 2014, 8:32 pm 

Im not too sure about putting old tires on the back... you should let me drive it first to make sure its safe. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 9, 2014, 10:21 am 

2014/07/08 Engine and fuel cell in. Everything hooked up. Started the engine for the first time since I tore everything down. Lost dylight so no picture.

PostPosted: July 9, 2014, 11:06 pm 

2014/07/09 Radiator and all coolant hoses installed, wiring semi organized, and everything bolted snugly in place. First shakedown run with no bodywork. Its really an eye opener traveling down the road and looking down to see the driveshaft spinning an inch front your feet and legs.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 8:05 am 

biqut2 wrote:
2014/07/09 Radiator and all coolant hoses installed, wiring semi organized, and everything bolted snugly in place. First shakedown run with no bodywork. Its really an eye opener traveling down the road and looking down to see the driveshaft spinning an inch front your feet and legs.

It gets easier after a couple of jaunts.
I'll be buttoning up my tunnel in the next few days

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 8:09 am 

biqut2 wrote:

HA! that's truly old school motoring, like from the 19-teens, when cars often had huge cone clutches spinning away out in the open.

like this 1905 25.4 litre Darraq V-8. it'll do a burnout, I've seen video ;-)

Attachment:
1905 darraq v8.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 9:22 am 

robbovius wrote:
biqut2 wrote:

HA! that's truly old school motoring, like from the 19-teens, when cars often had huge cone clutches spinning away out in the open.

like this 1905 25.4 litre Darraq V-8. it'll do a burnout, I've seen video ;-)

Through the magic of technology, we're now able to see what that driver was thinking at the moment this photograph was taken:

Attachment:
OldCar.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 11:58 am 
We are Slotus!

Holy Bat{guano} Robin! Was that a typo? 25.4 Litres equals about 1550 cubic inches!!! What an engine!!!!
I nominate that driver for the new leader of the "Brass Cojones" squadron! :shock:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 2:20 pm 

Even if that engine has four more cylinders on the other side, that's still three+ liters per cylinder. Pistons slightly smaller than a gallon jug of apple cider. I'm voting for typo.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 2:34 pm 
We are Slotus!

JackMcCornack wrote:
Even if that engine has four more cylinders on the other side, that's still three+ liters per cylinder. Pistons slightly smaller than a gallon jug of apple cider. I'm voting for typo.

Well, turns out we'd be wrong, Jack... Google came up with this: http://www.gizmag.com/go/5804/ Hard to wrap my pointed head around an engine THAT BIG in a car that looks so small! :shock:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 3:11 pm 

Dudes, back in the 19-oughts, if you wanted to go fast, the engines got REAL BIG. what's interesting about that car - besides EVERYTHING - is that it was built by Darracq solely to take the land speed record back to france. prior to 1905, Darracq raced a four banger of about 12 litres, good for 90-100 hp. the designer decided to put two four banger blocks on a common crankcase, using one ofthe four cylinder cranks. the connecting rods big ends are fork-and-blade, so there's no offset to teh cylinder banks. the car was owned from about 1907 on by Alex Guinness (YES that Guinness) but was broken up in the 19teens or so, and only the engine was saved. the car was entirely rebuilt in the early 2000s and started in time for its 100th birthday in 2005. they really didn't ahve to do much to the engine, beyond replacing the origina CAST IRON pistons with custom made alluminum pieces...

Jack, cylinder bore is 170mm - 6.693 inches. interestingly its a very oversquare engine, B&S 170mm X 110mm. there really are no original ideas eh?

go to youtube and seach on darracq V8...VERY entertaining. ;-)

and this nice littel history of teh car...

http://www.villiers.info/Darracq/

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 9:30 pm 

No work on the car today, time for some R&R. By the way thanks for the post on that car, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the history. Been trying to decide on a pain color for the body, I was leaning towards British racing green but the wifey likes this:

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 9:56 pm 
Toyotaphobe

BRIGHT!! That's the best color for these cars!

They need to sear the retina of people around them so they'll see you and not hit you.

Especially in parking lots as they'll back right over you.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 11, 2014, 9:28 am 

Looks like TETANUS :D

My color was Jeep Gecko green

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 11, 2014, 10:06 am 
We are Slotus!

You know what they say...
Attachment:
kermit-it-aint-easy-being-green.gif

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next