LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CMC R1 Rebuild
PostPosted: July 12, 2014, 8:26 pm 

2014/07/12 Bled the brakes this morning, put the nose back on, and that's about it. It a hot day here and I didn't feel like doing much else. I did decide I hate the drivers seat in this car and I'm either tossing it or putting it in the passenger side for now. The passenger side had a Kirkley 08400 20 deg lay back seat and I like it much better. I cut some tubes to weld in place on the drivers side and mount it there. Its a better fit anyway. I've got 16 7/8" on the drivers side and 17 3/4" on the passenger side. I'm currently deliberating on whether to buy another Kirkley to match and get matching covers for them or try my hand at making a set of seats. One possibility is just use the existing Kirkley seat as a template and make one just like it and then by new covers but I currently don't have a good way of bending .125" aluminum.

PostPosted: July 15, 2014, 6:18 pm 

204/07/15 Fabbed up some seat rails and welded in place to move the Kirkley seat to the drivers side of the car. Move the seat about 2 inched forward to give a more comfortable driving position(I'm 5'11"). Seat is held in place with 4 grade 8 1/2" bolts, Feels a lot more secure than it was previously. May or may not go install the dash after dinner.

PostPosted: July 15, 2014, 9:39 pm 

This one shows how far forward I moved the seat.

Overall look. Still have to do some bodywork on the fiberglass before its ready for paint. I'm still deliberating whether or not to paint the aluminum or just make new panels and polish and clear them.

PostPosted: July 16, 2014, 8:40 am 

Are the current panels in rough shape? You can wet sand them and get a really nice finish without having to make all new.

I'm going to sand my R1 project, then decide whether or not to paint. Right now I'm leaning toward painted, but I change my mind about every other day.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 16, 2014, 10:28 am 

It could use a new hood and dash. The side panels are good except for by the exhaust and front wheel. I might just trim it back and make another piece to cover up the suspension area all the way to the nose.

PostPosted: July 19, 2014, 3:40 pm 

Well I went out to set the toe and get the alignment in check. It wasn't too far out. Two turns has it set to .3438 degrees of toe in. One more turn would have it going in the other direction. I would be curious to hear what kind of alignment everyone runs on their 7 whether it be on the street or track. Also got my speedometer in the mail today courtesy of toobusy, big thanks. I'll be installing it and doing the calibration as soon as I figure out how I want to mount the sensor.

PostPosted: July 25, 2014, 9:57 pm 

2014/07/25 Got tired of trying to source some vacuum fittings so i just made some on the lathe. Hooked up my homemade manometer and started balancing the carbs.

Here's the link for the only place i found where you can purchase them http://www.mcmaster.com/#2684k27/=sztkn0. I refuse to pay that price though.

PostPosted: September 5, 2014, 1:24 am 

biqut2 wrote:
2014/07/09 Radiator and all coolant hoses installed, wiring semi organized, and everything bolted snugly in place. First shakedown run with no bodywork. Its really an eye opener traveling down the road and looking down to see the driveshaft spinning an inch front your feet and legs.

I auto crossed mine for the first summer that it was running with no bodywork. Only ever had two people touch their arms to the rear tire but luckily no fingers in the driveshaft.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 5, 2014, 6:31 am 

Things are a bit further along now. Pretty much just waiting on paint and then I'm applying for a Vin. Kids are back in school now so I don't even remember the last day I had to work on the car.

PostPosted: September 5, 2014, 9:40 am 
The voice of reason

Sounds like victory is in sight! What state are you in? Information on the VIN/inspection/registration process is always helpful to other people in your state. I suppose it's obvious some places that you can do it but still that's good to know - maybe more people will move there...
:cheers:

PostPosted: January 23, 2015, 1:20 pm 

Well the kids are back in school after the holidays and I've managed to squeeze in a little locost time. Over the past few days I skinned the rear bulk head and the majority of the trans tunnel. Installed a second kirkley seat for my passengers. I let my 5 yo pick out the paint an he chose red. I'm thinking of hydro dipping the fiberglass partsbif I can find a pattern I like just to have something out of the ordinary.

PostPosted: February 21, 2015, 11:10 pm 

Slow progress, getting ready for solo season.

PostPosted: February 22, 2015, 9:43 am 

How is your club going to class your car? Lots of confusion here with 2015 rules

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: February 22, 2015, 10:22 am 

Looks much better now. Almost bought this car back before doing my build. But came to the conclusion that i would tear this thing down to get rid of the yellow as well.

PostPosted: February 22, 2015, 10:45 pm 

I talked to the scca guys organizing the events and they told me to run in D prepared. Ill know for sure Sunday at the test n tune, I suspect I'll get lumped into super street prepared with all the vettes just due to attendance at the events. It does look much better without the yellow. As a side note I took the time tonight to remove the carbs and thoroughly clean them and did a balance, boy does it make a difference in throttle response.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next