LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: July 8, 2017, 11:46 pm 

Well, I had to take a break from retirement to get up to date on my build log. Had I known I would be this busy post retirement I might have stayed working!
About a month ago I told Lonnie I would post some pics of my OEM instrument cluster that I married to the dash panel. Instead of high jacking his build log I will post it here on mine.
So the problem was how to fit a concave instrument cluster to a flat panel and make it look like it's Locost build OEM fitment.
Attachment:
IMG_2001.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2002.JPG

Many here have done it, amazing workmanship, this is just the way I've done it in the past 2 builds and on this one, it's not perfect but it does the job, and it saves incredible time using the OEM wiring harness.
I use 1/4" aircraft grade ply for my dash panels. I cut a construction paper template of the instrument cluster to decide fitment on the panel. Once decided I cut the hole and using spruce blocks epoxyed to the ply and filed to shape I fit the cluster to the panel. I then put weather strip on the panel to fill in the concave space to the flat dash. I also use balsa stick to fill any gaps around the instrument cluster to the dash.
Attachment:
IMG_2003.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2004.JPG

These are pics of the cluster screwed down to the panel. I'm sure that if you use an aluminum panel you can epoxy wood filler to the aluminum in the same manner.
Attachment:
IMG_2005.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2006.JPG

This is the front view of the cluster. There is weather strip and balsa wood filler. Blends in fairly well.
Attachment:
IMG_2007.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2008.JPG

Here's a pic of the rest of the controls. From left to right - heater switch, choke, lighter, power point, power point. You will also notice that because this is a new vehicle that I zero'd the odometer, I've put on 14 klicks dicking around in it. Once I keyed the ignition the tach went from infinity to zero.
Attachment:
IMG_2011.JPG

Some pics of the dash panel installed in 7. I used the OEM light switch and dimmer switch.
Attachment:
IMG_2013.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2014.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2015.JPG

Now try videoing, steering, shifting, and braking. Of course to evade harassment on this site, :lol:, here's the video of the instrument cluster at work.
https://youtu.be/Eu8uotrswfM

These cars are just plain fun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 9, 2017, 11:17 am 

Thanks for the photos and explanation, Perry. I have decided to use the OEM instrument panel, so this is going to help me. I see your comment about the epoxy adhesive working with wood attached to aluminum as well. That is probably the way I'll go as I already have some aluminum in a size and thickness that should work for the dashboard itself.

Thanks so much,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 14, 2017, 10:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Of course to evade harassment on this site, :lol:, here's the video of the instrument cluster at work.
Attachment:
WAIT WHAT.jpg
You mean it's possible to avoid harassment on this site??? Nahhhh, ain't so... :rofl:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 1:12 am 

Just cruising the site tonight and a thought occurred in my brain. We acquire tools, lots of tools, from $1 to $xxxxx.

No use starting another thread on this, there are many that touch on this subject.

So here's my thought----I've been addicted to buying tools since I was a teenager. Lets say I spend a $20/week on tools average. That would be $1040/year. Since I was 17 years old til now that would be 41 years, that would be $42,640 spent on tools to date. Of course there have been some big purchases that I haven't put into this equation, but I think you get the drift. It takes years of collecting.

What I admire on this site is the respect we give the person that is proud of their $20 tool purchase just as much as we respect the person that has made a $xxxxx tool purchase.

It's all about the drive in the 7 you build in the end.

PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 3:47 pm 

I maybe only average $10 a week on tools, but I also lose them at a rate of about $5 a week, it seems.

PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 4:27 pm 

Perry,

A few years ago, I read a piece (only partly humorous) by a female financial planner who sat down and figured out how much money she spent dying her hair before she gave up and let it go gray as she approached 50. I do remember the amount she spent was around $44K and some change.

She then figured out how much money that $44K+ would have returned to her had she invested it at a relatively low return rate (4% ??), but compounded. It was something like $125K extra that she would have in her portfolio now. The take-away for me was that I shouldn't ever feel guilty about my tools. I have just about everything I ever bought plus some of my grandfather's tools too. They all work, and when I need to do a job, I typically have the right tools on hand to do it. I've spent zero covering up my gray hair!

However, making things worse, I now subscribe to the newsletter at http://www.homemadetools.net, so I now make some of my own tools too as well as buying some periodically. If you don't subscribe, you should. It's a trip.

Cheers,

Lonnie

PostPosted: August 16, 2017, 9:18 pm 

i only seem to loose tape measures and razor blades like i should be knee deep in both.
i have a lot of tools all good quality plus machine tools, thousands of dollars in tools.

my wife said when i wanted to buy a tool for something that i had enough tools WHAT!!!!!!!!! so i took her into the shop to show her my welder i purchased in 1993 and went on around the shop pointing out tools that i had in the sixties and even tools my dad had, she got the message, so i can buy tools if i need them, heck she found my lathe and mill in the local paper and paid for them after i borrowed a lathe to turn some parts and only paid the guy $20.00 for the use because she says she was ashamed if she ever bumped into his wife how tight i was.

the thing is, what does she do with them when i die, my son although quite clever, doesn't really have an interest in that sort of thing and he lives in England.

as a side note;
i am moving to JD land at the end of the year to be closer to the center of the known universe and the logistics of moving two jaguars, two range rovers, a car trailer, a box trailer a boat, a locost and all my tools is a nightmare, and there is no garage where i'm going so it looks like a big box truck is in my future, well i'm going to use it so it is really a tool isn't it.

i'm only taking the flat screen tv from the house but she who must be obeyed has her clothes and at least 50 pairs of shoes but she does clean up well considering she's 64

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: August 20, 2017, 10:34 am 

I know I have the donor for Locost #4, a Slant 6 Super 7, but I may take a break from 7's once I'm finished #3, this build.

Toying with the idea of picking this up and building a sleeper. Leaving for 1 week vacation so I will make my decision when I return.

PostPosted: August 20, 2017, 5:33 pm 

It looks totally weird, which is totally cool. What is it, Perry?

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 11:53 am 

I believe that's a 1950's Fiat 500 Topolino - very cool!!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 12:33 pm 

horchoha wrote:
I know I have the donor for Locost #4, a Slant 6 Super 7, but I may take a break from 7's once I'm finished #3, this build.

Toying with the idea of picking this up and building a sleeper. Leaving for 1 week vacation so I will make my decision when I return.

Looks like you could make a neat 7/8th scale Willys gasser!

PostPosted: August 30, 2017, 4:55 pm 
We are Slotus!

Is this thang workin'???
It's me, posting from the Twilight Zone... Or from HamDip House, kinda the same thing...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 10:49 pm 

Well summer it showing it's hind end here, so the car is back in the shop to complete the body work.

On another note, number 6 future Locost driver arrived Aug 27 - Alley Tabori Dascavich

I'll be honest with everyone here, I think I spoke too soon when I stated that I want to build a 7 for every grandkid (that's when I had 4). I don't think I have the stamina to do 6 builds, we will see.
Once my kids found out the recipe for making babies they don't want to put it away. :D

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 11:09 pm 

Congrats Perry!

My 2nd grandchild was born 3 months ago. She has grown soooo much in the last 3 months. I have never had intentions on building a seven for my 2 sons let alone my 2 granddaughters. My hat's off to you for even trying. :cheers:

Chuck

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 12, 2017, 12:27 am 

Thanks Chuck! Aren't they great?
You get to go to your kids home, turn on all the lights in the house and leave them on, stand up at the toilet or wobble, open the fridge door and stare at the shelves (and scratch), feed the grans candies, let the parents know when there is a smelly diaper, and then go home and sleep till I want.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next