LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 27, 2020, 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 14, 2014, 5:34 pm 

Never been much into blogs or logs. Started and stopped a couple 7 projects since the 90's. Found this project in the local paper about 3 years ago. Went to see it about 25km's from my house quickly recognized it as the original prototype MCC7 that Ken Howatson's used as a demo. Its the same car that gave me the 7 bug way back in the mid 80's. Car had changed hands several times since Kens death and was without steering, brakes, & electrical as each successive owner decided to "fix" its original flaws. The original design was based / borrowed exclusively from the Feejer brothers who were also in Ontario. Advance to yesterday and its now a running driving example of a car. Hood and nose were off to check for smells and leaks. All was good. Toyota 2tg / T50 driveline. Corolla rear end, chevette spindles, offshore copy of an MG rad. No name 12 circuit wiring harness, corvair steering column, mg steering rack. If you need details ask away.

Attachment:
Doubters.jpg
Doubters.jpg [ 161.8 KiB | Viewed 2806 times ]

My wife thinks this is inappropriate
Attachment:
Nose cone.jpg
Nose cone.jpg [ 104.15 KiB | Viewed 2733 times ]

Now on to licensing............

Last edited by alkidd on October 15, 2014, 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 14, 2014, 5:47 pm 

Hey, good find. You're now 90% of the way there. All you need to do now is that remaining 10% that eats up 90% of your project time. :mrgreen:

A good find on an emotional level too - it's the "hair of the dog what bit you" and that kind of thing.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 16, 2014, 6:28 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

That's the way to do it, imho; second hand projects. I like those front fenders much better than the cycle type. If they flop, just bend a .250 x 1" strip to fit underneath and bolt to the side of the car with two bumper bolts. After painting, use double sided foam tape between the fender and the strip so it also cannot flop up.

Nice hood! I considered buying a 70's van with a similar mural to park at work.

Thank you for not telling us what you paid. I'm already jealous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

PostPosted: October 19, 2014, 8:12 pm 

Fenders have two strips already and they still flop a bit. Took it to an autocross today. First trip was really cautious considering the car hadnt moved under its own power for longer than my driveway in the last 10 years. Later runs were like target shooting. Point and go. Throttle steer is insane. We were on a small oval track with banked turns. Couple of the banks had cones in bad place. Twitch the throttle and around youd go. Twitch it too much and go around again. Very cold day (10c/ 50f) made for some slippery runs. Felt incredibly fast but could have just been the feeling of the wind in my face. The good about today: It went, it ran and nothing broke. The bad: 15 year old tires dont work worth a damn. Seats suck. Horrible turning radius and coolant is leaking from somewhere.
Attachment:
File comment: home again.
Lotus 1st auto x.jpg
Lotus 1st auto x.jpg [ 132.56 KiB | Viewed 2617 times ]

PostPosted: October 20, 2014, 8:17 am 

Bet you're still grinning though.
:cheers:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 20, 2014, 7:22 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The strips are probably 1/8 inch thick instead of 1/4. You might try doubling them up.

Looks like that seat has you sitting way too high. I'd make a one piece bench back rest with vinyl around 2 inch foam stapled to 1/8 or 1/4 masonite as a backer board, then make squabs with 3 inch foam for the bottom cushions. Take the seat out to see what it would be like to basically sit on the floor with the back against the firewall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

PostPosted: October 22, 2014, 12:31 pm 

Fender brackets are 1/4" I think its the fact they have so much airflow under them they will flap no matter what I do.

The seat looks high due to the sloped side of the original frame design. Plenty of leg room between steering wheel and my chubby stumps. Seat is 3/8 plywood bolted to tracks 3/4" tall that are bolted direct to floor. 1.5" of foam on top of plywood and then vinyl on top of that. Back of seat is curved plywood that fits well on my back but lack of padding wouldnt make for a great long drive.

Thought about the one piece back but its too far back for me and I prefer to drive sitting more upright than the slope of the rear will allow.