LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 28, 2015, 2:42 pm 

Blake17 wrote:
My build began in 2008, so for your sake's I hope nobody else that was working on their build with me then is still working on the same build now.

Yep haha, I think my build log was started in 2008. Although I've been distracted for quite some time... :roll:

PostPosted: May 28, 2015, 3:43 pm 

robbovius, yea I was thinking of going the Shawshank Redemption method too. A few pieces here and there finding their way to the dump, and then I get to keep the VIN plate. I have taken pictures of most steps of the process too, with those and the title I can't imagine any rational DMV employee would have a proble... nevermind I could totally see that haha, everyone loves the DMV. I had planned on saving the pedals and parking break assemblies, we'll see if I can make them fit. Thanks for the advice!

toylocost, that's fine it just means we're veterans around here haha. Looks like you're a bit farther along than I am, lucky you. I have really been putting in some hours over the last few days, and once my donor is all chopped up I'll be hot on your heels.

My Free Android Games! (you're kids will probably enjoy them more...)

PostPosted: May 28, 2015, 4:25 pm 

Blake17 wrote:
toylocost, that's fine it just means we're veterans around here haha. Looks like you're a bit farther along than I am, lucky you. I have really been putting in some hours over the last few days, and once my donor is all chopped up I'll be hot on your heels.

Yep, I don't know if I'll be able to work on it this summer. I finally got into finishing the stereo in my daily and that spurred about 5 people who want stereo installs in their cars... and they pay, so they go to front of the line along with all my spare time :(

PostPosted: May 28, 2015, 10:19 pm 

ANOTHER CT BUILDER!

Keep the title, and the reciepts for the major parts you order. DMV will want to see traceability for the engine, trans, diff, and body (just show reciepts for the fiberglass parts and aluminum skin). I didn't keep the vin tag from my Miata donor, but I'm far away from registering mine. Not even at roller stage yet... :(

I have 4 16" aluminum Camaro wheels I'm going to scrap, if you're interested. I'm near Manchester.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 10:34 am 

ANDY BRO wrote:
ANOTHER CT BUILDER!

Awesome! I never expected to see another on here. I looked around for a build log, have you got one? If not, where are you at in your build? Thanks for the advice on what to keep, sounds like a reasonable list.

Started really cutting into the Camaro yesterday. I laughed as I explained to my friend how when I look at everyone's build log it looks like their donor just falls apart and someone comes and takes it away, when in reality it's a hell of a lot of work. Especially if every nut and bolt on the car is a rusty piece of junk. But I have someone coming to get a few of the parts I didn't need, and with any luck I'll have the floor space cleared for the building portion of the project in a few weeks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 5:23 pm 

Blake17 wrote:
ANDY BRO wrote:
ANOTHER CT BUILDER!

Awesome! I never expected to see another on here. I looked around for a build log, have you got one? If not, where are you at in your build? Thanks for the advice on what to keep, sounds like a reasonable list.

I've been lazy about starting one. I'm wrapping up the suspension now, then I'll be finishing frame. My build is a little unconventional and my OCD keeps my pace glacial. Roller status by the end of June, I hope.

It's funny how long it takes to remove everything you might need without going all "scorched earth" on the donor and all its good bits. Then you have the chore of putting the crap out of the way until you'll need it again.

PostPosted: May 30, 2015, 1:49 pm 

Andy Bro, hurry up and start one! I need inspiration and being local means I can come steal your ideas from time to time. I'm from Hamden, so maybe once we are at roller status we can link up.

Today I had a guy come and take a bunch of the Camaro parts I didn't need, doors, windows, etc, and upon seeing my project he was kind enough to offer me a Ford 8.8 rear axle with disc brakes. I have to check the measurements for my +442 but I think it might be just right. So I'll have to look at the numbers and let him know if I want it. Any opinions on here? He seemed to think the 8.8 was a much better option.

PostPosted: May 30, 2015, 2:22 pm 

I started my build, I think, in 2003, so you're not the only one here taking some time. I had a couple breaks during my build because life happened, so there was 7 or 8 years in that time frame that it sat untouched, but it's pretty well done now. As far as the 8.8 axle, that's definitely overkill for a locost. Mine has a V6 with roughly 200 HP and I've been auto crossing it on R comp tires for a few years with no issues. For this year, I have 10" wide slicks on the back for more traction without any issues so far, and I'm running a tiny Toyota diff from a 1982 corolla. I never did weigh the diff itself, but when I was measuring unsprung weight with wheels, tires, brakes, shocks, and driveshafts, it was 190lbs. Depending on wheels and tires, an 8.8 could easily add 100lbs to that. My wheels and tires are about 30lbs each, so the Toyota diff is pretty light.

JD, you only think my car is nice because you've just seen crappy cell phone pics of it. In the metal it's a lot more rough and tough, definitely not a show car. I guess that describes a lot of racecars though.
Kristian

PostPosted: June 4, 2015, 3:18 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
... As far as the 8.8 axle, that's definitely overkill for a locost.

Well that's good to know, if you're little Corolla axle is holding up fine then I assume my Camaro axle will. I actually grabbed another 96 Camaro axle off craiglist that had disk brakes already set up on it and is far less rusty than mine. Should be a little easier to clean up and add br@|<ets to. (Am I playing this brackets game right?)

Demo has been slow, a few hours a day and it's slowly making it's way out of the garage. Any advice on glass? Tape and cut? I might have to hire a torch for the front end, that should be interesting.
Attachment:
20150604_133423[2].jpg

I'm going to try to source some S10 spindles soon so I can be ready to design the front suspension soon. Have to figure out how to get the Camaro bits off their spindle, should be fun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 7:29 pm 

Have to ask the geniuses here for some sage advice. I got an air compressor a few days ago, it worked great and proved to be a valuable asset. Now when I turn it on, it runs and makes a lot of noise as usual, but the air pressure wont go up. I closed the drainage valve on the bottom, tried with and without a hose hooked up to the outlet, no luck. It just runs and runs, but never gets above 20-30 psi. I can't hear any air leaking when it's off, so I don't know what's going on.

Also, almost hit the artery in my wrist with the angle grinder today while cutting the old brackets off my rear axle. Be careful!

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 8:54 pm 

ouch!! Those angle grinders are reaaally dangerous. I make myself an scratch on my stomach with one some months ago. Luckily it was not deep. Be safe!

PostPosted: June 11, 2015, 12:48 am 

What type of compressor is it? Maybe check the air intake on the compressor to make sure it's not blocked. Is there a regulator on it that might have failed? It also probably has an unloader valve to make it easier on the motor when it starts, that could be stuck open and it won't build pressure either. Good luck with it.
Kristian

PostPosted: December 15, 2015, 6:39 pm 

Finals this week, pretty easy luckily so I've spent some time on the car. Grinding the old nonsense off the rear axle and adding my brackets soon. I was able to get my girlfriend's father to make me some nice rear axle brackets at his shop, definitely going to use him whenever I can.

PostPosted: December 22, 2015, 3:48 pm 

Designing the trailing arms for the rear suspension. This is the initial idea. Looks simple enough, going to run a few tests and make sure it doesn't bind up on me. Running at 5" off the ground to survive the New England roads taking a bite of my car :evil:

PostPosted: December 22, 2015, 4:33 pm 

Alright.. theres now three of us in a 45 minute radius of eachother, two of us may have went to highschool together. and I'm apparently less than 10 minutes from Andy.

This is strange.

I think I need an adult.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod