LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tundra 7 442
PostPosted: September 25, 2016, 11:36 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Steve,

Very clean install. Actually all your work looks real neat.

Good going!

Cheers,

Thanks Larry. A little at a time, you know. I have a goal of 900lbs so minimalist is a big deal right now.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: September 25, 2016, 6:47 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Finished this up this morning. Sad thing is it will never work. Unless this works with the hydrolic pressure of the pedal to move the pads then pull the lever. As of right now I can't pull it. But I need to show it for inspection. We'll see if they check for operation. I don't even want a parking brake but here it is anyway.

I did not actually realize that is how you were going to activate it. I thought it was a long lever. NJ requires that it function, be a ratchet and pawl or other type of self latching mechanism, and that there are at least 1/3 average travel of "Mfgr" design remaining when the parking brake is fully engaged. Other than the knob end, you should be able to keep what you have, and add a cheap ratchet and pawl type lever.

PostPosted: September 25, 2016, 7:18 pm 

Dismantalus wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:
Finished this up this morning. Sad thing is it will never work. Unless this works with the hydrolic pressure of the pedal to move the pads then pull the lever. As of right now I can't pull it. But I need to show it for inspection. We'll see if they check for operation. I don't even want a parking brake but here it is anyway.

I did not actually realize that is how you were going to activate it. I thought it was a long lever. NJ requires that it function, be a ratchet and pawl or other type of self latching mechanism, and that there are at least 1/3 average travel of "Mfgr" design remaining when the parking brake is fully engaged. Other than the knob end, you should be able to keep what you have, and add a cheap ratchet and pawl type lever.

It's one of those old truck brakes. You pull it and 1/4 turn to release it. they use to have a T handle on it. I really hate the big clunky brakes of today. I just want a little knob sticking out of the center. Now I appreciate how much leverage the clunky ones produce. I'll cross my fingers on this. The last couple of guys I talked to that went for registration just sent in pictures with their application and the tags came in the mail with no visual inspection. When I get their we'll see.

PostPosted: September 25, 2016, 7:35 pm 
The voice of reason

Nice to see you have such good help. Working with Dad is priceless.

If they are going to use pictures to approve your car, maybe the clunky handle should be there - it's what they expect. Just sitting there, I mean...

It's really a really nice looking car...

PostPosted: September 26, 2016, 1:15 pm 

Have you got space to flip it around so you pull the "knob" rather than try to push it? You can get better leverage pulling. All it would take is a longer cable and a pulley.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 26, 2016, 7:59 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Have you got space to flip it around so you pull the "knob" rather than try to push it? You can get better leverage pulling. All it would take is a longer cable and a pulley.

I do have the room. I took a look at the lever on the caliper and they only move about 1/8" to 1/4", very stout too. This thing isn't bugging. The mechanical advantage on the lever is nuts. I might shop around for a low profile lever style, i'll have to see what Ebay has for a selection. Its hard to make these things look good.

PostPosted: September 26, 2016, 9:26 pm 

Awesome work so far! I'm not too far down the road in Waukesha. Though my build isn't quite as far along.

Any more detail on the registration process in WI? I'm planning to kick up the speed this winter and hopefully start the registration process this spring. I've had a heck of a time finding any personal experiences online and the state documents don't really give a good feel for the difficulty of the process.

Quick question on the brake pedal. Is there a spherical mount within the pedal or just the rod ends that attach to the pedal? The reason I ask is the master cylinders won't necessarily have the same travel in operation so there needs to be freedom for them to move slightly independently as pedal pressure is applied. I hope that makes sense, not a very good explanation.

Looking forward to seeing this one move along. Very inspiring work.

PostPosted: September 26, 2016, 10:19 pm 

rsmith2786 wrote:
Awesome work so far! I'm not too far down the road in Waukesha. Though my build isn't quite as far along.

Any more detail on the registration process in WI? I'm planning to kick up the speed this winter and hopefully start the registration process this spring. I've had a heck of a time finding any personal experiences online and the state documents don't really give a good feel for the difficulty of the process.

Quick question on the brake pedal. Is there a spherical mount within the pedal or just the rod ends that attach to the pedal? The reason I ask is the master cylinders won't necessarily have the same travel in operation so there needs to be freedom for them to move slightly independently as pedal pressure is applied. I hope that makes sense, not a very good explanation.

Looking forward to seeing this one move along. Very inspiring work.

The registration process from talking to the head trooper that runs the program. It starts with all of your receipt copies for all major parts so they don't suspect stolen parts. Being a replica they look for what the original car had for components. If it was an option you don't have to have it on the car. They will look up the car and find as much info about it as they can. You have to take pictures of front, rear interior. It should be in the packet. They may rule on it just on that alone. They also may look at it in person and from that you'll have to schedule an appointment. I've met the guy that runs it and he's a car builder as well and totally understands the guys that do this. Their looking for a non-stolen product and safe as well as a believable replica. The hot rodder lives up to different criteria. We really have it easier.

The brakes I never thought about the different travel. Their the same size master all three are identical. I figured the throw would be the same. It's bolted hard no spherical with the rear pressure adjustable.

Dude I just went through what you have and where do you get steel so clean. Man it looks like stainless. You have some cool stuff going on looks great. I grew up in Racine and go through the Milwaukee area often. If I have time next time I'd like to look you up.

PostPosted: September 27, 2016, 1:20 pm 

Thanks for the feedback on the registration. For steel I found a local place (Aaronin Steel) that was awesome to work with. It's a cash-only one man show. He gets a truck in from IL each day and can get pretty much anything. Prices are also the lowest I've found. For my first order I just had my debit card and he just said to put a check in the mail....hard to find people like that these days. The 1'' tubing was amazingly clean but the 3/4'' stuff was black like I normally find. Still saved a TON of work.

I appreciate the kind comments on the build. If you're ever headed this way let me know!

PostPosted: September 27, 2016, 5:32 pm 

rsmith2786 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on the registration. For steel I found a local place (Aaronin Steel) that was awesome to work with. It's a cash-only one man show. He gets a truck in from IL each day and can get pretty much anything. Prices are also the lowest I've found. For my first order I just had my debit card and he just said to put a check in the mail....hard to find people like that these days. The 1'' tubing was amazingly clean but the 3/4'' stuff was black like I normally find. Still saved a TON of work.

I appreciate the kind comments on the build. If you're ever headed this way let me know!

I may have to check this out too. The 1" square I bought in Madison has lots of mill scale. They look like they're only about 45min from me so not much further away anyhow. Thanks!

PostPosted: September 27, 2016, 6:04 pm 

Acerguy wrote:
rsmith2786 wrote:

I may have to check this out too. The 1" square I bought in Madison has lots of mill scale. They look like they're only about 45min from me so not much further away anyhow. Thanks!

Keith, did you start on one?!!

PostPosted: September 28, 2016, 8:44 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:

Oh gosh, no. I'm using it for various and sundry projects around the place. Working on a log cart right now! 8)

PostPosted: September 28, 2016, 10:39 am 

Acerguy wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:

Oh gosh, no. I'm using it for various and sundry projects around the place. Working on a log cart right now! 8)

Ok, good. I thought it might be a long shot but had to try.

PostPosted: October 9, 2016, 4:20 pm 

A little windscreen time. Here is a rough idea. Needs to be prettied up. All stainless so it be polished.
I'll have to find some nice wing nuts.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 9, 2016, 5:47 pm 

Ooooh, Stainless..... :cg:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 63  Next