LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tundra 7 442
PostPosted: June 30, 2018, 11:08 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
That's beautiful scenery you guys traveled through. Did you ride that ferry boat in the background of one photo?

Too bad about the motor mount. I'm not an expert welder, so I'll leave commenting about the filler material, etc., to those who are. That said, it looks like a pretty heavy load spread out over a relatively small diameter tube. Could adding gussets between the flat plate and the tube help spread out and stabilize the situation? That one weld is doing a lot of work.

What about a solution like this?
Attachment:
Steve's gussets.jpg

Yup, that is one weird and ugh-O sling. I hope it heals fast as a reward for wearing it.

Cheers,

Lonnie I weld for a living. 309 is the proper procedure. It is 1” sch40 pipe. Being it was a full pen weld surprises me. But it did break on the pipe not the weld. Well ok one little part of it. It’s stout stuff but found out brittle. I am going to 1-1/4 square tube x 3/16” wall. I can fit that in between the bolt pattern. The plates are 1/4”. Staying with all carbon should be much better.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: June 30, 2018, 2:39 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Tundra 7 wrote:
Thursday was surgery day on the ole shoulder. Won’t be driving for a while. It’s a very attractive sling don’t you think

Hope your recovery is short.

Most of the load is vertical so two vertical gussets, 0.100-0.125" thick, as far apart as the pipe OD (to put the tube in shear versus a single in the middle of the tube), that extend down the pipe 3 or 4 inches should prevent future cracking at the new sudden change in cross section.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 30, 2018, 3:34 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:
Thursday was surgery day on the ole shoulder. Won’t be driving for a while. It’s a very attractive sling don’t you think

Hope your recovery is short.

Most of the load is vertical so two vertical gussets, 0.100-0.125" thick, as far apart as the pipe OD (to put the tube in shear versus a single in the middle of the tube), that extend down the pipe 3 or 4 inches should prevent future cracking at the new sudden change in cross section.

It would, but one failed I would just feel better remaking both of them. It won’t take more than a couple hours to remake. Won’t be for about 8 weeks

PostPosted: June 30, 2018, 4:43 pm 

Steve,

Nice photos and good you and Russ could 'blat' together, at least until the mount quit.
The sling looks like it came from Darth Vader's closet.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 1, 2018, 12:40 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Steve,

Nice photos and good you and Russ could 'blat' together, at least until the mount quit.
The sling looks like it came from Darth Vader's closet.

Cheers,

Ya I think Darth was the head designer.
You said you had Megasquirt also. Did you do the afr and Timing generator off the program to come up with your table?

PostPosted: July 1, 2018, 1:48 pm 

I started with tables that I down loaded from Club4AG, a chat forum for Toyota 4AGE engine users. Ran but real crappy. For some reason I was distrustful of the auto tune feature on MS. I had 4 sets of spark plugs that I was rotating in and out between cleanings (burned the soot off with a propane torch). They were fouling at an alarming rate. I was really a novice at this tuning thing. Was at the Arkansas gathering and everybody else went on a blat. My car was running to bad to gamble on getting back without assistance so with my cousin along manning the computer we took off on a short run with the auto tune finally turned on. Stopped at a cafe that was close by the motel, took a look at what the program had to say. There were a ton of changes. Took it back to the car, hooked it up and loaded the changes to the controller and went back on the road. The difference was amazing. Didn't idle and kept dying at stop signs but ran pretty darn good otherwise.

I had been corresponding with JPSEuropa concerning the tuning. He also was using a Toyota 20V engine so he had some useful tips. He had a Bosch idle control valve he wasn't using and donated it. Installed it now it idles too.

Still not ideal but decent and reliable. AFR still a tad rich. I'm still learning Tuner Studio so I'm certain that I'll nail it soon.

Although we are using different engines there are similarities. If you think looking at my MSQ would help I would gladly send the one I'm running now.

As always, Cheers!

PostPosted: July 1, 2018, 2:33 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
I started with tables that I down loaded from Club4AG, a chat forum for Toyota 4AGE engine users. Ran but real crappy. For some reason I was distrustful of the auto tune feature on MS. I had 4 sets of spark plugs that I was rotating in and out between cleanings (burned the soot off with a propane torch). They were fouling at an alarming rate. I was really a novice at this tuning thing. Was at the Arkansas gathering and everybody else went on a blat. My car was running to bad to gamble on getting back without assistance so with my cousin along manning the computer we took off on a short run with the auto tune finally turned on. Stopped at a cafe that was close by the motel, took a look at what the program had to say. There were a ton of changes. Took it back to the car, hooked it up and loaded the changes to the controller and went back on the road. The difference was amazing. Didn't idle and kept dying at stop signs but ran pretty darn good otherwise.

I had been corresponding with JPSEuropa concerning the tuning. He also was using a Toyota 20V engine so he had some useful tips. He had a Bosch idle control valve he wasn't using and donated it. Installed it now it idles too.

Still not ideal but decent and reliable. AFR still a tad rich. I'm still learning Tuner Studio so I'm certain that I'll nail it soon.

Although we are using different engines there are similarities. If you think looking at my MSQ would help I would gladly send the one I'm running now.

As always, Cheers!

I was thinking if we could exchange info. I was going to ask you how you felt comfortable enough to run WOT to tune the top end. My tables are running really nice but how do you know it’s it and a guy can be done.

PostPosted: July 1, 2018, 7:13 pm 

Not too sure I understand the question. WOT is supposed to be the simplest to tune. Assuming you are using Tuner Studios, the MegaLog viewer as well as a wide band O2. At the end of a run I look at the log at WOT and if the O2 is at or close to ideal levels I know it's on target. If not adjust the cells accordingly.

I'm not anywhere close to being an authority but I have gotten it to work. Got a lot of help from Paul Harhen (JPSEuropa) and a guy in Bellingham, WA Scott Thompson) and this site has a Mega Squirt site that can be useful.

Keep smiling!

PostPosted: July 1, 2018, 7:31 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Not too sure I understand the question. WOT is supposed to be the simplest to tune. Assuming you are using Tuner Studios, the MegaLog viewer as well as a wide band O2. At the end of a run I look at the log at WOT and if the O2 is at or close to ideal levels I know it's on target. If not adjust the cells accordingly.

I'm not anywhere close to being an authority but I have gotten it to work. Got a lot of help from Paul Harhen (JPSEuropa) and a guy in Bellingham, WA Scott Thompson) and this site has a Mega Squirt site that can be useful.

Keep smiling!

It might be the meds Larry. You know what I think I’m gonna post my MSQ on the mega squirt tab and see if anybody can look at it just to see if there’s anything alarming on it or not. I guess I didn’t realize the wide open part was the easiest part to do and I really don’t know how to use the megalog viewer I wish I did. I have it.

PostPosted: July 1, 2018, 8:10 pm 

I never could find any info on how to use the viewer. Just played with it for a while. Yoou have to burn a log first and that option is on the main MS screen. It is actually pretty neat to be able to see what all is going on. You can't change anything there but it will point to where need to be.

It's been a couple of years since I did anything with the MS and I have forgotten a lot. I can't even find the MS tab on the forum.

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 11:42 am 

Thinking out loud. What about making aluminum motor mounts. Pros and cons.

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 5:22 pm 

Sorry to see the motor mount failure - I bet it is a blast driving around now though! I can't wait to get to that point. I'm not sure I've ever seen aluminum used - what kind were you thinking? And why?

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 5:46 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
Sorry to see the motor mount failure - I bet it is a blast driving around now though! I can't wait to get to that point. I'm not sure I've ever seen aluminum used - what kind were you thinking? And why?

Ya it’s a blast. You’ll get there soon, you’ve made great progress.
Now you brought up grade(darn it) I didn’t think of that, good question. To answer the others the new ones would have to be real similar to what I have just bigger in size. I’ve seen solid aluminum motor mounts for miatas in the racing scene but that’s it. All they are is a solid chunk of aluminum with a threaded stud on it. The other reason for thinking about aluminum is that it’s different you don’t see it but if it’s going to cause problems down the road it’s not worth it. I’m not worried about the strength properties of aluminum it’s far stronger than carbon but vibration and cracking is what’s coming to mind. I’m always trying to look for something of a cool factor also.

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 6:14 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

A thick chunk of aluminum is heavier than steel tube but definately doable.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 7:18 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
A thick chunk of aluminum is heavier than steel tube but definately doable.

If I read into your comment you would widdle it out of a solid block rather than weld it up the same way I did before? The bracket sits on a 43 degree angle and is bolted to the frame with a rubber mount.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 63  Next