LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tundra 7 442
PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 1:47 am 

Hey Steve,

How's the healing coming along? Ready for rehab yet?

Was thinking about your mount fail. Took another look at it and realized your mounts are solid. Most mounts have a hard rubber buffer in there somewhere. Could the fail have been caused by vibration? I used stock type mounts because of the rocking. So far so good. Her's how mine turned out.

Attachment:
IMG_0191.jpg

The shiny black part is stock Toyota steel. The dull black part is rubber, also a Toyota part (this one is a TRD part. A little stiffer than stock) The rest I fabbed. A nut and washer go on the stud, not there in this view. Something to think about perhaps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 2:28 am 

Well I am off the narcotics until PT starts in a few weeks. Thanks.
I have 3 jag engine mounts. Rigid rubber on the engine and one on the tranny. I have some heavy square stock here I’ll replace the pipe with. They really work nice. I had zero vibration into the car and holds the engine nice and stiff.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 2:40 am 

How I overlooked that 'donut' escapes me. So throw out that theory. You already had it covered.

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 6:24 am 

benny_toe wrote:
How I overlooked that 'donut' escapes me. So throw out that theory. You already had it covered.

No biggie I probably didn’t provide you with a picture of it recently.

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 9:46 am 

Don't discount the base metals either. We tested some students at a VoTech two years ago, and students that clearly should have passed. Failed for what appeared to be lack of fusion. Did some bends on a couple of pieces of virgin material, and what do you know, they cracked. And I had the certs for the material.

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 10:19 am 

Dismantalus wrote:
Don't discount the base metals either. We tested some students at a VoTech two years ago, and students that clearly should have passed. Failed for what appeared to be lack of fusion. Did some bends on a couple of pieces of virgin material, and what do you know, they cracked. And I had the certs for the material.

What cause it to crack at the toe of the weld like this. 309 full pen fillet

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 10:40 am 

We found two separate issues. Inferior material (A36), and with the GMAW wire (ER70s-6), the mfgrs are actually supplying 90,000ksi, de-rating it, and selling it as 70 and 80 ksi wire. With such a large difference, it is causing what look like lack of fusion failures, when in fact it is the stronger weld material is tearing out of the base material. I assume you used GTAW to weld the tube, so the filler issue shouldn't be at play, but inferior tubing certainly could. Just throwing it out as another possibility..

Edit: BTW, we are seeing a LOT of inferior materials during testing these days. So it would follow that it is out in the general suuply..

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 11:17 am 

Dismantalus wrote:
We found two separate issues. Inferior material (A36), and with the GMAW wire (ER70s-6), the mfgrs are actually supplying 90,000ksi, de-rating it, and selling it as 70 and 80 ksi wire. With such a large difference, it is causing what look like lack of fusion failures, when in fact it is the stronger weld material is tearing out of the base material. I assume you used GTAW to weld the tube, so the filler issue shouldn't be at play, but inferior tubing certainly could. Just throwing it out as another possibility..

Edit: BTW, we are seeing a LOT of inferior materials during testing these days. So it would follow that it is out in the general suuply..

That is crazy on the 70s-6. Use it all the time it’s great wire. This was a 304 sch40 to carbon so the stainless I was chalking up to
Just being more brittle than carbon. I’ll be going back to carbon using 1-1/2 x 1/8 square to replace pipe. Thanks for the feedback that’s nuts. I’ve never seen or heard of any of that. Course I am not on your end of it either.

PostPosted: July 8, 2018, 11:45 am 

In all fairness, it probably isn't as bad as it sounds. I don't want to alarm anyone unnecessarily. At least not for what we are doing here. The bend tests are an extreme, and really represent a failure in extreme tension. Anyone approaching those stresses in a LoCost has lots of other things to worry about! I do a lot with the ER70s-6 myself, both in short circuit and spray mode, and have never had a failure.

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 2:01 pm 

Wow I just wanted to say that this is an amazing build and I am happy to see that the registration process wasn't bad. I am currently in the planning stages of a locost build and have been looking into that over the last month. I would love to get a look at your build in person as it looks beautiful.

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 7:03 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Hey Steve,

How's the healing coming along? Ready for rehab yet?

Was thinking about your mount fail. Took another look at it and realized your mounts are solid. Most mounts have a hard rubber buffer in there somewhere. Could the fail have been caused by vibration? I used stock type mounts because of the rocking. So far so good. Her's how mine turned out.

Attachment:
IMG_0191.jpg

The shiny black part is stock Toyota steel. The dull black part is rubber, also a Toyota part (this one is a TRD part. A little stiffer than stock) The rest I fabbed. A nut and washer go on the stud, not there in this view. Something to think about perhaps.

Larry I have in my head a version of this, It did help with ideas thanks. I have the sling off now and started my PT. Its going to be slow going. My weight restriction is a full cup of coffee. I did have to clarify that with my doctor because he said " your restricted to a cup of coffee for weight", "OK", I replied. "Is that full?". I got a "good catch." Maybe by the end of next month I can slither back in the seat of the car again.

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 7:33 pm 

Was at the Midwest Locost Gathering in Arkansas with my cousin. Just recently had the engine installed and barely running. Hadn't hooked up the alternator yet so any run time had to be short and also to conserve battery life we were push starting. Cuz and Graham Earley were giving it a push to show it off a little. Fired off sooner than Cuz figured so he didn't let go quite soon enough. Pulled him down (Graham tried his best to catch him). On the way back to Kansas City Cuz was driving (5 speed Ranger) and got to the point he couldn't shift because of the pain. Torn rotator kind of like yours. He's all healed up now but it was long drawn out healing.

Best of luck with the PT. Should still be good driving weather when you're ready.

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 10:50 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Was at the Midwest Locost Gathering in Arkansas with my cousin. Just recently had the engine installed and barely running. Hadn't hooked up the alternator yet so any run time had to be short and also to conserve battery life we were push starting. Cuz and Graham Earley were giving it a push to show it off a little. Fired off sooner than Cuz figured so he didn't let go quite soon enough. Pulled him down (Graham tried his best to catch him). On the way back to Kansas City Cuz was driving (5 speed Ranger) and got to the point he couldn't shift because of the pain. Torn rotator kind of like yours. He's all healed up now but it was long drawn out healing.

Best of luck with the PT. Should still be good driving weather when you're ready.

Ouch, sounds painful. You know fall can be nice. I am hopeful for some nice fall driving. I’ll push it right to snow darn it!!

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 9:31 am 

Steve, you might try some Glucosamine & Chondroitin to help speed up the healing process. When I was still working full-time as an industrial maintenance mechanic. I took it for the arthritis pain in my hands. Helped a LOT! When I fell and broke my ankle last year, I also tore some cartilage in my knee. Started back on the G&C, and the knee is back to (almost) 100%!

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 9:45 am 

ngpmike wrote:
Steve, you might try some Glucosamine & Chondroitin to help speed up the healing process. When I was still working full-time as an industrial maintenance mechanic. I took it for the arthritis pain in my hands. Helped a LOT! When I fell and broke my ankle last year, I also tore some cartilage in my knee. Started back on the G&C, and the knee is back to (almost) 100%!

You know what that’s a great idea. I have taken that before too. I don’t know why I didnt think of that.
I probably even have some. That would be really dumb wouldn’t it. Thanks man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 63  Next