LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long-term +2 build
PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 4:01 pm 

Zetec7
You have done an outstanding job with this car. My congratulations to you. :cheers:

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 4:18 pm 

Thanks, Phil!

You know, what's funny is that it seems the closer I get to a finished car, the further away the finish line seems to get. The myriad list of details (okay, some of them are rather large items!) I have left to do is daunting, and seems to grow every day. I'm constantly writing things on my to-do white board list, things I'm discovering that still need to be done, and I think I need a larger white board!

Back when I started this adventure, I got the frame done in just a couple of weeks, and thought "Wow, I'm half done!". LOL! How naive I was! This is my first-ever build, and I had no idea of how complex it could be to build an entire car from scratch.

The wonderful people on this board have been a godsend, with knowledgeable advice & helpful ideas, all along the way.

I couldn't have done this without you all!!

Now, it's out to the shop to see if I can fix those floppy front fenders...again...only better, this time...

:cheers:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 5:15 pm 

I may be dating myself saying this, but when I was a young kid and I did good in elementary classes, my teacher used to give me a gold star.

Here's yours for a great job!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 6:31 pm 

Thanks Perry! You guys are awesome, and keep inspiring me to greater heights!

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 8:25 pm 

when i was a kid at school and i did something good i got nothing as i was expected to do good but if i did something bad the cane would descend on my ass, how times have changed but it does prepare you for life, you know what will happen when you start slacking off at your job.

kids have got it good haven't they.

when you have completed your build, thinking you can sit back and enjoy your handicraft, you will be mistaken because that is the time when you will have doubts about some things that you could have done better.

when you have redone all those things better, then the "what can i add to make it even better" starts to creep in, sort of "more better".

some even reach a point when they start another car but it still happens to that build as well.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 9:15 pm 

LOL - so true!! I'm trying to get as many of those "make it even more better" done now, as I really want to drive the car, rather than work on it, once it's complete.

There is NO doubt at all that there will be things I'm not satisfied with - I'm just trying to cut down the number! I guess that's one plus in having taken this long to build the car - I've had lots of time to re-think things I've done.

Strangely, in looking at some of the things I did on the car years ago (before I had the specialty tools etc. that I have now), I have absolutely NO idea how I was able to accomplish them, and I'm not even sure I could recreate them now! In all probability, it was dumb luck, and the fact that I didn't realize they were things I simply wasn't able to do....so, not knowing any better, I did them. Kind of like the old story about how bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly. They don't know that, so fly they do.

With all the better quality tools & experience, I'm doing a better job than I'd ever envisioned. Let's see if I can continue to the end... :roll:

:cheers:

PostPosted: January 25, 2018, 4:32 am 

A few more tidbits out of the way. Got the grill (sourced from a cheap, 2' X 2' square metal fan with plastic grills on either side) made up & mounted, with the 7 emblem proudly sported on the front. I didn't want to drill holes in my freshly-painted nose, so I made aluminum mounting brackets & glued them to the inside of the grill with 3M 4200. Then, I made curved, L-shaped securing brackets using my shrinker/stretcher set (what a great tool!!), and bolted them to the other brackets, trapping & securing the grill in place. There's thin rubber between the plastic grill & fiberglass to keep it in place & cushion it a little. The nose is an original CMC one, and it's not well molded. The grill hole isn't flat across the inside, it's curved from left to right. Happily, forcing the plastic grill into a bit of a curve makes it stay in place very securely. I think it looks good, and compliments the bright yellow paint nicely.

Attachment:
grill mount inside.jpg

Attachment:
grill installed, small.jpg

installed the windshield washer bottle, pump, and plumbing (the bracket on the scuttle is for the wiper motor, and the hole in the vertical panel is for the wiper cable tube & grommet):
Attachment:
windshield washer bottle and pump installed.jpg

I made up the mounting brackets for my backup lights, but discovered that if they're mounted on the angled rear bodywork (where I want them), they kind of shine up in the air, rather than at the ground (uh...duh! :BH: )

So, I used some leftover ABS plumbing pipe, ABS 1/2" sheet, my lathe, and the appropriate glue, and came up with angled bosses at exactly the right angle. They work! See, there's method to my scrounging, pack-rat proclivities! (I have to keep convincing my wife of that!). The tab cut on the side of the steel bracket is for attaching the ground wire's spade connector. Only one of the backup lights shown in this pic...
Attachment:
backup lights small.jpg

I got the center console finished, padded with 1/2" foam & covered in vinyl to match the dash. Not shown in the pic is the leather boot I made for the parking brake lever, which matches the shifter boot.

Attachment:
center console small.jpg

Lots of little stuff, but it all needs doing. About 457,956 tabs left to figure out & weld into place before I can blow it all apart & start on frame paint.

I THINK I've found a shop to do my government vehicle inspection!! This might seem a small issue, but here it can be a BIG deal. There's an enormous amount of latitude given to inspection shops & inspectors. Some shops said "Well, maybe we could do that", and one said flat-out "Not a chance! Good luck finding anyone who will inspect a home-built car now that ICBC (our government insurance & vehicle testing authority) is threatening criminal charges against any inspector if a car they've checked is in a crash!" :roll:

Another worry - technically, an inspector can insist on a "structural inspection" prior to the final inspection. This "structural" can range from just checking the wheel alignment, all the way to insisting the car is inspected as a bare frame (no paint). That wouldn't be a problem, as I'm confident in my build quality...BUT...the "structural" inspection triggers a government-mandated 30 day countdown. If this happens, you have a maximum of 30 days from the bare-frame structural inspection to produce a complete, painted, running & driving car. And there are supposedly NO extensions.

Luckily, I found a shop locally who have done full inspections on two Cater***s in the past few months, and are excited & happy to do it!

They said "We do both the structural & the final inspection at the same time. We only want to see the car once - we want a complete, ready-to-drive car, with paint etc., and we want to send you off after the inspection, ready for plates & insurance. That's our goal."

As far as the frame & build history are concerned, they suggested putting a bunch of photos of the car during the build process on a thumb drive, along with a couple of pics of my best welds. They say they'll include the pictures when they send the final inspection results, & their approval, to ICBC.

Woohoo!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 25, 2018, 10:26 am 

Looking good! :thmbsup:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 5:20 am 

I spent the past two days trying to clean up my wheels (well, the first two of them). One of them is more or less okay, and I started on a second one yesterday, then all day today. Whatever they’re coated in, it’s really tough stuff. Aircraft stripper doesn’t do much at all – doesn’t even bubble up. I used furniture stripper today, which sort of works, although the coating re-deposits & turns into sticky stuff that can’t even be sanded. It's like Teflon, only way tougher. I ended up doing the stripper 5 times to get the majority of the coating off.

What is interesting is the wheels were obviously lathe-turned, with a coarse cut, leaving a surface like a record. This gives a kind of prismatic effect which, when new, was probably quite attractive. Not so much anymore, with the clear coat mottled & pitted, with corrosion underneath. What makes it so tough to sand is that the surface was never smooth to start with. The grooves are about .1 mm wide, and .1 mm deep. Run your fingernail across them & it makes a zoomy noise, just like a record (for those of us old enough to remember vinyl!).

Interestingly, the aluminum itself seems to also be hard-anodized under the clear coat. It’s certainly harder than aluminum oxide wet/dry paper which, even when used wet, just wears out without even making a scuff. There are hundreds of little pits and scratches which weren’t visible under the clear coat, so the entire wheel has to be sanded down to the depth of the deepest pits. It’s going to be a loooong process.

I’ve given up trying to find replacement wheels. Mine are Ford 4-bolt pattern (4X108 mm), with a 15 mm offset. The very few that are available have a 30mm offset, which wouldn’t work with my fenders, fender stays, etc. (they’d all have to be re-made from scratch, using a different design). The only option would be to use 15 mm wheel spacers – over ½” – which I’m loathe to do. So, I guess I’m stuck with doing what I can with the ones I have.

It's going to be a long grind. I looked into having them polished locally, but at $300 per wheel it's not do-able...I could have brand new wheels, custom-drilled, for close to that.

Anyway, I've come up with a couple of options, and I'd like to have the opinions of you good folks here.

The first pic is of the one wheel I've done (mostly...still days of sanding & polishing to do on it), a clean-but-unpolished wheel. The second pic shows a blind artist's vague interpretation of a paint option that would entail a lot less work than my current path. There is also the third option, that of doing a satin finish on the spokes, and just mirror-polishing the rims.

Anyway on to the pics.

You'll have to pardon my artistic...um...er..."skills" - I don't have Photoshop, just an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro, which has none of the former's automated processes.

Still, if you put up the pic, stand back a few feet from your monitor, put on your old glasses from when you were a kid, and squint juuuuust right, I think you'll see where I was going with the pics.

Pic 1 -Comparison of one of the untouched wheels & a partially polished one. Note that both wheels have scrupulously clean finishes, so what you see is the actual finish (not crud). You can see what I'm up against. Every single fleck you see is a pit, scratch, or corroded rough spot, and the whole surface will have to be sanded down to the level of the deepest ones, if I go for a full mirror polish.

Attachment:
wheels 1 small.jpg

Pic 2 -Option 2 (with painting), polished rims & satin, or flat black, spokes:

Attachment:
wheels black option 2 small.jpg

Finally, there's Option 3 (mirror polished rim, satin-buffed spokes):

Attachment:
Wheels buffed option small.jpg

Of course, there's always the option of painting the entire wheels, but I'm determined to have polished rims, at least. It's an old-school look that I love, and it would be more "period correct" than all black, for example.

I asked my wife, but she said "Oh no, you're not getting ME roped into giving an opinion on that!" :roll: :lol:

What say you?

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 8:56 am 

Zetec

I like the looks of #3, gives depth to the wheels. Than again you are the one doing the work.

Red

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 9:09 am 

Oh no, you're not getting ME roped in either!

Maybe

OK, I'll bite.

That is going to take a lot of elbow grease to polish all 4 wheels. Then there is the constant maintenance. What if you two-toned paint? I like the way mine turned out. It may not be your cup of tea if your heart is set on polished wheels
Attachment:
2 tone.JPG

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 12:37 pm 

Have you tried a heavy truck shop for wheel polishing? They might be cheaper. Find out who does the polishing at a local place and see if he wants to do them after hours for beer or something. Failing that, I think the painted centers with polished lips would look pretty good.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 3:15 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I had to blast my rims to get the coating off and then we polished and did a diamond cut on the surfaces to get that look back. Finished off with a clear powder coat.

Once I got a good blaster it went fast and the diamond cut was easy as well.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 4:13 pm 

I've been pondering bead blasting, if it was possible to mask off the outer rim. I just spoke to our local powder coating & bead blasting place (the one all the custom car builders use, and I actually spoke to the blasting guy himself) & explained what I wanted to end up with. He said "No, it's likely to work." He said there's a very good chance the media would work through any masking & destroy the rim area permanently for polishing. Not encouraging. It would work if I could get a diamond cut afterwards, to restore the rim areas, but the cost of doing that locally is huge ($1,200 or more).

I explained my thoughts of 3M buffing the spokes to a satin finish, and he figured that was the best way to end up with the finish I want. Of course, once I've got that far, I can still paint the spokes if I want.

I DO appreciate all your thoughts & ideas! Keep 'em coming!!

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 5:07 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My diamond cutting was super cheap, I mean like under $100 for all 4 rims. The powder coater did it right there in his shop.

He showed me how he did it and the spokes were literally no work for him at all. Now the barrel might be a lot of work, but polishing should work there.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next