LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 23, 2018, 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: March 11, 2018, 11:26 am 

davew wrote:
That is nice work :cheers:
What the wt difference, about half compare to stock?
Dave W

weight difference is unknown. I never really considered using the subaru upright. I had looked at how some others have used the subaru uprights and also how factory five is using them on the 818 and decided to use the Haynes design and adapt it to the subaru bearing. I didn't want the drums plus disk e-brake setup on the subarus. The VW disk is also smaller in diameter than the subaru rear disk.

PostPosted: April 13, 2018, 9:36 am 

Weight of rear upright plus bearing is 14.4lbs (will post stock weight soon)

A couple updates but not too much progress as I spent a good bit of time getting most of the subaru junk that I've collected over 10+ years of racing packed it up and sold it along with the rally car. Kinda bitter sweet but I've been thinking about not racing for a little while. Big reason is not having to take time away from the house. So now I'm back in build and parts collect mode. Picked up some pretty good looking 2005 Legacy axles off ebay for $35 each, the paint is still nice and green so I don't think they are the original to the car they came off. Also confirmed that the axle boots clear the uprights which I only knew by measurement before. Steering rack extensions have been shortened and rack placement is looking good enough to tack it in and move on to getting the diff and suspension in.

Attachments:
IMG_20180412_194950165.jpg
IMG_20180412_194950165.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 315 times ]
PostPosted: April 19, 2018, 7:59 am 

got my rear suspension all tacked in and mocked up. went way faster since the rear is all square. Axles I am using are from a 2005 Outback and look like they are going to work out. If I end up needing to reduce the rear track I can always swap them for 2001 outback axles which are about .5" shorter. I would have bought the 2001's in the first place but it was missed on my axle search, oh well. Tire in the pict is a 205/50r15 for reference. also looks like I need to use a 15/10" rear shock. need to take the seats out and get the pinion angle set before making up the mounts.

Attachments:
roadster_diff_placement.jpg
roadster_diff_placement.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 259 times ]
PostPosted: May 13, 2018, 6:56 pm 

Rear diff mount together and tacked in. made some spacers to center the bushings and added a couple small tubes to support the mounting brackets. brackets and bushings are the same 14mm through bolt wrx bushing that I used everywhere else on the suspension. front mount for the diff is going to utilize the stock mount cut down and hung off some threaded inserts and something else I haven't quite come up with to put them in double shear. Never mind the square tube on the diff bolts, I didn't have any hardware short enough to get everything tight.

plan once the diff mount is in is to finish up the boot area and then move on to getting the engine and trans in. atm i'm thinking about making my own fuel tank with a yet to be build diy metal brake and maybe an AL setup for the trusty Miller 130xp that has put a lot of time in on this build.

Attachments:
diff rear mount 1.jpg
diff rear mount 1.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 152 times ]
diff rear mount 2.jpg
diff rear mount 2.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 152 times ]
PostPosted: May 18, 2018, 7:57 am 

Diff front mount made up with that single shear I was talking about. Everything is where is should be but the mount didn't come out as straight and square as I would have liked. You can sort of see the part that is mounted to the diff is turned a bit. Oh well, once it's in you can't see it.

Attachments:
diff front mount.jpg
diff front mount.jpg [ 606.29 KiB | Viewed 63 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6