LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 3:07 pm 

Hello Group -

A little background....

I am a A&P IA aircraft mechanic by trade... The Diva belongs to my good friend Duncan...

Duncan bought the Diva kit around 2000 and started the assembly... Built a small block Chevy... Put some of the frame together... Collected some parts... You know, little things... Around 2003-04 he got involved in buying a small model company that makes scale buildings, people and animals for model railroad dioramas... Getting that company relocated to his "barn" put the Diva on hold for a little while... And then the worst happened, his wife was diagnosed with brain cancer and died in 2005... I have known Duncan and his wife since 1990 and it was devastating to him... Life got put on hold for a long time after that and the Diva was shoved to the side and buried, literally....

Duncan turned 70 seven years Ago... He decided then that it was time to get unfinished projects and bucket list items done... One of those projects was getting his Stinson 108-2 airplane back in the air... Did I mention that I work on airplanes.. :-) .. After a 5 year screw up with import requirements (the airplane was registered in Canada) We finally got the Stinson a much deserved engine conversion and back to flying status... One night I was at his house with my kid getting some math tutoring and listening to stories (Duncan is a retired electrical engineer, math wiz, holds over 40 patents... Just a fascinating man but a story for another time) I was able to talk him into showing me his Diva project that has now sat for over 15 years... After looking at the car I offered him my help to get the car on the road just for the opportunity to drive it once.. Well, he made an offer I could not refuse... Part ownership for my work.. Cant beat that..

So now some pictures...

This is the body of the Diva after I got it out of the weeds and cleaned off with the hose... Its still if pretty good shape for sitting outside in the weather and the Glass is still good...

The frame and engine... Buried under years of stuff from the model business.. Don't worry, its not like this anymore...

350 Small block Chevy... Bored .040.. Forged crank, rods pistons... Race Cam... Nitro injection... Built professionally and Dino checked at 500 HP with over 600 ft lb or torque... Should be fun... :twisted:

The engine is backed by a Richmond Overdrive 6 Speed manual trans...

Front end suspension with Corvette brakes..

So after a major shop cleanup with got the frame uncovered, a door installed into the building and started to work on the frame...

My oldest son (middle child) helping with cleaning off the dust...

Put the seat in for pedal placement and to check for shifter clearance and mods to the tunnel framework to clear the shifter..

Assembling the front suspension...

Both sides assembled..

Checking for wheel clearance..

Moved the frame back to get ready to fit the engine and trans..

Engine on the hoist...

Had to take off the electric water pump motor to clear the frame... Youngest giving me his thoughts...

And its in...

Its a tight fit...

Well, that's it for now... I work on it about every other Saturday so it will be a while before we get it done...

Brian.

Last edited by Brian - Diva Builder on January 4, 2018, 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 4:45 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

In several of the pictures it looks as if the right-side A-arms are several inches longer. Is that just camera angle?

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 4:54 pm 

KB58 wrote:
In several of the pictures it looks as if the right-side A-arms are several inches longer. Is that just camera angle?

Probably just camera angle... They can be swapped to either side... The ball joint is screwed in...

All my pictures are also taken with my IPhone.. So that can explained any weirdness also..

Brian

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 7:03 pm 

Looks like a wonderful project for you and your kids! And it seems that you're teaching them a great lesson about doing for others. The Diva definitely shows a lot of Locost influence in the design. Good luck with the build, and keep the pics coming!

PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 2:56 pm 

Brian,

Welcome to the forums! Great project, and a wonderful story. I would suggest hosting your pictures directly to our site though if possible. it means they won't eventually disappear, and that everyone can view them regardless of network restrictions.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: August 2, 2016, 8:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Great back story to the project! Love it! It's really cool that you're involving the kids. Lots of good life lessons as well as "mechanic school" for them. And I wanna meet Duncan...

Good luck with the build, keep us posted (and pictured!)

And, just this once, I'm not gonna accuse Perry of not being able to read... :shock:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 2, 2016, 9:40 am 

Awesome story and fun looking project. Good for you!

PostPosted: August 2, 2016, 7:13 pm 

Neat! I hate the Diva name - a bit too Palm Beach for me. But I've always admired the lines. One of the best-looking Sevenesques IMO.

Best wishes!

PostPosted: August 7, 2016, 2:57 pm 

Did some work on Saturday... Finalized the engine and trans installation and bolted in tight.. Realized we had the front and rear springs swapped so got that corrected... And installed the shifter and all the linkages for the Richmond Overdrive...

Brian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Brian - Diva Builder on January 4, 2018, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 7, 2016, 6:09 pm 

Going to have to figure out attachments through my phone at a later date... Meanwhile, I'll post pics individually..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 13, 2016, 9:46 pm 

Not much happening... It has been way too hot with no AC in the shop, so progress is slow... Plus, I have been busy trying to get an apartment set up for my Mother In-Law who is coming in September from Alaska... She will be here for several months...

My oldest son and I set the body onto the frame today... The build manual is very vague on where and how to run the electrical, brake lines and fuel system.. So I wanted to set the body on to get an idea of clearances for those systems...

My son is 13... The body is so light that he easily was able to carry the front of it up and over the frame and set it down...

I put the hood on to see how much clearance there is for the air cleaner....

Turns out that there is not much space there... In fact, I know the current air cleaner we have will not fit unless I can lower the engine by several inches... More than likely we will find an alternative..

And just for grins... This Jag was parked at a store near where I work... Beautiful car...

Brian

Last edited by Brian - Diva Builder on January 4, 2018, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 11, 2016, 1:12 am 

Just to catch you guys up on our build.... My partner in crime on this has been away on two separate vacations for the last month and a half.... He is finally back and will not be going anywhere until next year...

Meanwhile, while he was gone I took the body back off and started fitting the interior fiberglass panels... They need a lot of trimming, especially the center console in order to fit around the transmission and shifter... I had to cut out most of the tunnel side to get around the shifter... I will either have to re-glass it or make an aluminum cover to fit... Probably aluminum since I know how to work it, not much of a glass man as far as fabbing up new stuff, can fix cracks and minor damage, but building entirely new is beyond me at the moment...

Have not taken any pictures due to not much to show..

Brian

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 11:57 pm 

Well... just checking progress here and decided to look at my old post I started.. of course the photoshop hosting snafu and now some my pictures are gone.. will have to fix that someday..

Just to catch up...

Absolutely no progress has been made to the Diva for several reasons..
First, I moved to a bigger house..
Second, sister in law (wife’s sis) died of Colon/Rectal cancer in August..
Third, took sis in laws 4 YO daughter into my home as per her wishes..
Fourth, mother in law is also living with us...
I can go on, but that is more than enough of my woes...

Things have started to calm down though so I have been thinking about getting back on the project hopefully soon.. Untill then, I’ll have to figure out a diffferent picture hosting and get the photos back up...

Brian

Last edited by Brian - Diva Builder on January 4, 2018, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 8:24 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Brian-
Sorry to hear about the sadness in your life. But, good on ya for taking the little girl in. Our world needs more family members like you.

Pictures- Try uploading them right in here. Just go down the page a little, "Browse" to the picture file you want to post and hit the button. Done... You can hit "Preview" and look at what the finished post will look like, and then you'll have the option to put the picture inline with the text, so they're not all at the bottom of the post.
Attachment:
calvin-and-hobbes.jpg
Like that! Try it sometime... Works pretty well, and your pics won't disappear on ya!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 11, 2018, 3:33 pm 

Hi Brian, recently finished my Diva Roadster, will post pics soon. 340 HP 350 with turbo 350 trans.