LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SoCal LoCost
PostPosted: July 20, 2017, 2:15 am 

Still working on this project. Week 2. We picked up the plate for our welding table, 4x8 ft 1-in plate at about 1300 lbs. We are using 6x10 I-beam for the legs and C channel for the top frame, coping cross members and planning to install 2-in receivers in the corners to mount tools. Overkill for sure but it looks cool. Moving the plate around is a project in and of itself without a fork lift. We had fun with it. Some of the photos are really us making fun of our unsafe practices. The plate was brought home on a small trailer, set on 4 wheel dollys. We pulled it out of the trailer using the engine lift, jeep for ballast, and a come along. Once out, we lowered it and started cutting legs and frame. Here is this evenings class progress...

Locost Welding Table by Tsilatipac, on Flickr

Locust Welding Table by Tsilatipac, on Flickr

Last edited by GoAdv on July 20, 2017, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 20, 2017, 11:15 am 

Welcome to the Zoo.

I'm in year 6 of my "six month build", and I'm in Carlsbad. I did effectively have two years with very little activity, however. What part of SoCal are you in?

On the other hand, there are a number of builders that have taken longer than me to build their Locosts, and they swear it was worth it. So, I'm staying with it and hope to have a running car by this December 31st. What people have said about the TIG versus MIG and chrome moly versus mild steel are worth taking into consideration. I started out as an amateur welder doing TIG, but MIG proved to be much more practical and forgiving.

I'll be looking forward to your build.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 20, 2017, 11:39 am 

Hi Lonnie,
We are practically neighbors. I am located in Fallbrook, Sleeping Indian area. My buddy Matt (the guy in the photos) is in Valley Center but, we are doing all work at my place. I understand all of the feedback regarding Mig and square tubing. Matt really wants to make it out of round. We are planning to make it all SCCA compliant in case we want to race but,we might change that. Since I plan on building a plane next, if I enjoy this, so I want all of the practice I can get on Tig round 4130. We are not in a huge hurry and as others point out the frame is a small part of the project so I don't mind spending extra time on the frame. We are planning to install a 1JZ-GTE @ 300-400HP and are looking for rigidity above weight. We are working up the cut list now and will have a tubing estimate soon.

PostPosted: July 20, 2017, 1:04 pm 

OK, we definitely have two men with a plan! That's 70% of being successful. I'm staying tuned and looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 20, 2017, 5:27 pm 

Good idea to start with the car. You'll learn a lot about tolerances and quality standards, what works and what doesn't. You're also very lucky to be starting this while you're young. I waited until I was 45 to start the plane, which of course was never completed, and then 55 to start the Locost. Now, looking at what I might build next, I find myself considering vision, movement, and endurance limitations. Not great. It'll always be fun, though.

PostPosted: July 20, 2017, 6:40 pm 

GoAdv wrote:
Hi Lonnie,
We are practically neighbors. I am located in Fallbrook, Sleeping Indian area. My buddy Matt (the guy in the photos) is in Valley Center but, we are doing all work at my place. I understand all of the feedback regarding Mig and square tubing. Matt really wants to make it out of round. We are planning to make it all SCCA compliant in case we want to race but,we might change that. Since I plan on building a plane next, if I enjoy this, so I want all of the practice I can get on Tig round 4130. We are not in a huge hurry and as others point out the frame is a small part of the project so I don't mind spending extra time on the frame. We are planning to install a 1JZ-GTE @ 300-400HP and are looking for rigidity above weight. We are working up the cut list now and will have a tubing estimate soon.

Tig welding 4130 is nice you'll like it. Same as DOM tube. 1/16 wire will be all you need. ER70s6 flows like water on that.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: July 20, 2017, 10:52 pm 

nick47 wrote:
You're also very lucky to be starting this while you're young. I waited until I was 45 to start the plane, which of course was never completed

Well, I haven't been in a photo yet. The guy you are seeing is Matt, highly motivated renaissance man. The other cameo appearance is my 20 rear old son. I'm 49 and have arthritis so I hear you. Alone I would not finish this project. Matt will finish and drag me along.

PostPosted: July 21, 2017, 1:38 am 

GoAdv wrote:
Since I plan on building a plane next, if I enjoy this, so I want all of the practice I can get

Good on you!! I did it the other way around. I built a 62HP 2 person side by side 36' wing span tube and fabric plane, 5 yrs to finish and fly. That build gave me the gumption to build a 7, or 2, or 3 :lol:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 26, 2017, 4:34 pm 

Well, my witness protection has just been blown. I will have to make sure that we get a picture of GoAdv in the next update - maybe standing next to our completed weld table.

What I look forward to with building a LoCost are the many decisions that I will learn to regret. I am, however, not planning on regretting TIG or round chromoly.

Now, the 1JZ-GTE? That has regret written all over it!

PostPosted: July 29, 2017, 9:48 am 

More progress on the locost last night, or at least getting ready to start the locost... The table frame is welded, the plate is on and we can call it substantially complete. The leveling feet will wait for now. Next we'll see what we need to do to improve flatness.

Wow what a night, we even have a frame on the table. That 1JZ is going to be a tight squeeze. We might need to invent some new physics. I think one of our next projects will be to build a bigger mock up to look at custom suspension design.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 29, 2017, 11:35 am 

Looking good. Did you 3D print your model?

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 29, 2017, 12:14 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:

I have a 3D printer but it was a kickstarter prototype and too finicky so I never use it. That frame was made out of wood, glued together.

PostPosted: July 29, 2017, 2:19 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:

Cheers,

The model is a good old fashioned balsa 1/8th scale model. I have had it on my shelf at work for many years.

PostPosted: July 29, 2017, 8:28 pm 

Oh, it's a model!! And here I was, thinking "Man, that is one HUUUUGE build table!!" :mrgreen:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 25, 2017, 12:47 am 

Attachment:
IMG_4313.JPG
Okay, I'll bet that folks were thinking that this was one of those build logs that was just a flash in the pan. Not so. We've been tooling up the shop and it just turns out that I'm a slow learner when it comes to TIG welding. I've been doing little projects trying to get better so my LoCost frame doesn't completely fall apart at a bad moment. We are still planning on round chromoly tubing frame and cramming a 1JZ-GTE into it. It's definitely too big to fit into a book frame. We wanted to do a mock up of some sort. Somewhere along the line the idea to build a pvc mockup with "pinned" joints was hatched. The mockup will just be good enough to get an idea of fit and layout. Pinned joints give us a little bit of an indication of how each member affects frame rigidity. It's no FEA but its useful for us. We used 1.5in PVC pipe and tie-wraps. Our actual frame is looking like 1.25 in chromoly. Renman did some calculations and it looked like 9.5% oversize would fit the JZ engine. And we were off...

It looks like the engine will fit 9.5% oversized frame but it's really tight. We are thinking that 10% with the slightly smaller diameter tubing will be just right.

Oh, we also scored a Bridgeport mill for the shop and are starting to set that up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.