LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: RX-8 based build
PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 2:01 am 

Is the header in contact with your frame? Looks awfully close if it's not, is it going to be an issue when the engine is running?

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 10:33 am 

Good eye. In one spot it's ~3/8" away. The whole thing shifted after I tacked it together and did the final weld. Pretty sure it's going to hit since the engine torque will move it closer. I haven't convinced myself of the proper way to fix it yet. Only idea I have had beyond A LOT of welding was ratchet straps to try and bend it. One to hold the motor in place an another to try and tug the header forward.

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 7:43 pm 

FYI, The OEM S4/S5 oil cooler has an internal oil bypass to help the engine warm up faster. What you think is the drain is the valve assembly for that bypass. Oil flow should flow into the port opposite that valve ( BTW, you have the oil cooler upside down from the OEM installation IIRC) and flow out the end of the cooler. The cooler may not drain if it is cool and becomes air locked.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 11:32 am 

This is an ebay knock off so no bypass.

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 11:54 am 

Knockoffs vary. I just thought you might want to know what to look for. Sounds like you have it covered. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 12:57 pm 

The early 12A RX7s with the separate cooler also included an internal thermostatic bypass.

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 1:26 pm 

It would be nice if it had the bypass. I'm thinking I can get away with out since this won't be a cold weather car. 50 degrees would be on the extreme low end that I'd drive it. My southern blood isn't cut out for much more than that :D

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 4:55 pm 

On a completely unrelated note to getting the car running I installed the rear tail lights this morning. A friend of mine machined the mounts for me a few months ago. Every time he came by and they were still sitting on the shelf I felt guilty for not having used them yet. I went a little bit off the playlist with these. Since this will be mostly a street car I wanted the lights as visible as possible. For that reason a ending up putting them high up on the roll bar and also put a third brake light in the mix. The lights themselves are meant for emergency vehicles and are VERY bright.

The 3rd brake light mount.The turns are similar.

Lights installed

Brakes

Turn signal

Also on the light front I bought a Moto Gadget M-Unit to simplify my light wiring. They are meant for motorcycles but for a car as simple as this they fit the bill too.

It has electronic fuses, relays, flashers, alarm built in. You only need to run a small wire to your switches to provide a ground when the switch is activated. Then it's just one wire out to each of your lights, blinkers, horn. I've used them on a few bikes and it makes wiring so much easier and reliable. Everything is solid state so almost no electrical loss.

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 6:03 pm 

banzairx7 wrote:
Also on the light front I bought a Moto Gadget M-Unit to simplify my light wiring.

Sounds like a slick unit.

PostPosted: January 8, 2019, 9:54 am 

I'm with you on the strong and visible brake light on the roll bar. These cars are so low that it probably puts the light at a good viewing height for SUVs, which are a large percentage of vehicles now days.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 8, 2019, 8:36 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
I'm with you on the strong and visible brake light on the roll bar. These cars are so low that it probably puts the light at a good viewing height for SUVs, which are a large percentage of vehicles now days.

What happened to those orange flags on the dune buggies?

If the light was effective would you need the roll bar? I'm putting in a rear roll bar more for rear-end crashes than for roll-over crashes. Cause otherwise my head would be the first thing the jacked-up SUV would hit...

Attachment:
fixed_resized_DSC_6554.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: January 15, 2019, 11:18 pm 

Was able to test out the oil drain back and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Was kind of exciting to put oil in the car for the first time and listen to it turn over(even if there was zero chance of it starting). That cooler holds a lot of oil. About 1.5 quarts. Kept cranking and adding oil. Then let it sit for a few hours after the cooler was full and the oil level in the sump didn't change.

PostPosted: January 16, 2019, 9:43 am 

Before I installed a thermos by-pass in the oil cooler line I just made a block off plate to slip in front of the oil cooler. I added a hinge that allow about 40% of the cooler to be exposed, when temps where in the 50 to 60 range, or fully close below 50. Other wise it would some times take 45minutes to get every thing up to temp. The "R" clip could be rotated with a screw driver thru the grill to full close off the cooler. DaveW

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 16, 2019, 11:14 am 

> 45minutes

Some data points:

1990 Corvette, Mobil 1 10w30, 90-ishF ambient, took >20min to bring the oil temp up to 150, watching the Diacom output.

Ford 302, aftermarket sensor in pan, about the same

The Jaguar XJ12 had an oil *warmer* inside the pan, to bring the oil up to operating temp more quickly. Early XJ12s had horrendously bad gas mileage and British gas was expensive, so it was one of several things Jaguar did to make the official test numbers look better.

Lots of 80s/90s GM SUVs had oil "coolers" that I suspect were for the same thing; those were the ones that had tiny heat exchangers inside an oil filter spacer and spliced into a heater hose, not the ones with the heat exchanger up by the radiator.

PostPosted: February 16, 2019, 6:59 pm 

It's alive!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/j4wBQS1wvlg

edit:Was super excited to post that up yesterday. I even drove it the ten feet back into the garage with no brakes or throttle but I drove it! I got it started about two weeks ago but just got it running properly yesterday. The biggest issue I ran into was it would not rev over 2k rpm. Posted on the megasquirt forum and they had the fix for it right away. The crank trigger signal was too strong so I had to add a 10k resistor inline on one of the wires from it and it cleared right up. Still lots of stuff left to do but this a huge step.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next