LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 9:12 pm 

Hey Steven
Just watched your latest vid, nice.
Have a question, at 5:24 I see a metal marking pencil that I would like, what kind is it?

Build on!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 10:13 pm 

Car Sick wrote:
This 8' drop cut channel at Alro

I lived for many years in Jackson, MI, home of Alro. And loved their cut-off store.

I got to Louisville and Alro couldn't do enough to drive me away. Sad.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 10:05 am 

geek49203 wrote:
Car Sick wrote:
This 8' drop cut channel at Alro

I lived for many years in Jackson, MI, home of Alro. And loved their cut-off store.

I got to Louisville and Alro couldn't do enough to drive me away. Sad.

The guys here are super helpful and the facility is clean, bright and organized. Very nice.

PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 10:19 am 

horchoha wrote:
Hey Steven
Have a question, at 5:24 I see a metal marking pencil that I would like, what kind is it?

Build on!

It is a round soapstone pencil/holder. I bought it a long time ago and just found it in my toolbox, I don't remember the brand. I most likely bought it at Lowes or Home Depot. I like the round because it's easy to sharpen on the belt sander to get a nice pencil like point. I go back to the shop tomorrow and I may still have the package holding the refills, I'll check the brand.

PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 9:42 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Hey Steven

Build on!

I looked today, it is a Hobart round soapstone holder. I'm pretty sure I go that at Northern Tool.

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 9:17 pm 

It's been 5 days since my last confession.

Check it out. Table is done, table is level, table is now holding crap.

I got the rear box tacked together at least. And the shop now has a horizontal bandsaw!! No Harbor Freight crap here, just Northern Tool crap. My cheap, Taiwanese saw is grey and black, not maroon.

So me and a friend put the stand together and attached all the things that didn't come attached, then when I turn it on, the blade jammed up instantly!
What the heck. So I take it apart and the blade is stuck between the rear and one of the side guide bearings, bent. So much for being setup and test run in the factory like the manual states.

I spent all day today adjusting and "modding" the saw. I also replaced the blade and it cuts nice and straight now. You definitely need some patience when you purchase these HF/NT/Grizzly saws.

I attached casters to the holes in the bottom of the stand, went to upright the saw and it bend a foot under, great. I just kept hitting road blocks every turn today. I couldn't even find nuts for the casters, they were hard to even find at Lowes. I actually had to ask the guy there for help! I know, horrible. They ended up being 1/2"x20 and were in the "specialty" hardware drawer.

So I make little half stands for the casters out of some thick angle. I need to start stocking sticks of useful metal like this in my shop, it will always come in handy. So now, the saw rolls around nicely and my roller stand isn't too tall for the saw deck.

I'm glad I now have a saw that can cut things like this. I couldn't get my wrench between the caster and the saw leg, so I whipped up some spacers out of my 3/4" round tubing. I couldn't do that with a cut off wheel, for sure.

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 12:10 am 

The gearbox on mine was full of swarf. I recommend you open yours up to make sure that it is clean and has oil. I'm running 80w90 hypoid oil in mine.

There's a guy who makes replacement worm gears, but they're quite expensive.

The little saws can be finicky to keep adjusted for a straight cut, but they sure beat a hacksaw!

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 6:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
so I whipped up some spacers out of my 3/4" round tubing.
That's a relief... For a minute there, lookin' at the picture, I thought you wuz buildin' an Audi! :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 7:29 pm 

TRX wrote:
The gearbox on mine was full of swarf. I recommend you open yours up to make sure that it is clean and has oil. I'm running 80w90 hypoid oil in mine.

The little saws can be finicky to keep adjusted for a straight cut, but they sure beat a hacksaw!

I didn't get any footage, but I did open it up and deburred the worm gear and replaced the oil with 80w90. The oil looked ok though.

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 7:29 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
so I whipped up some spacers out of my 3/4" round tubing.
That's a relief... For a minute there, lookin' at the picture, I thought you wuz buildin' an Audi! :rofl:

haha, no way

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 10:17 pm 
Always Moore!

TRX wrote:

I'm 99% sure they're the same for all of the 4x6 saws:
http://www.grizzly.com/parts/p0622191?u ... rizzly.com
http://www.grizzly.com/parts/p0622194?u ... rizzly.com

A few years ago I would have said toss the saw in the trash and get another one for $160. It looks like you really have to try now to get into the low $2xx range - insane. $70 for a new gear set suddenly isn't so bad.

Nice work on the casters BTW. I did something similar on mine - one of the better bandsaw mods so far.

PostPosted: October 22, 2017, 6:04 pm 

a.moore wrote:
Nice work on the casters BTW. I did something similar on mine - one of the better bandsaw mods so far.

Thank you, it really is a necessity for a small shop or garage.

PostPosted: October 30, 2017, 10:23 am 

Leveling the table. I feel like it could use another sheet and the steel stud trick, but meh, I don't feel like doing it. I think this will be close enough. If I build another one, maybe I can improve.

PostPosted: October 30, 2017, 10:50 am 

I got the band saw set up and cutting great. I had to actually re-cut about 5 of the tubes because the angles were a few degrees off, much better this time.

Here is the Klutch Kut.

These close fit ups make me want to TIG weld the frame so bad. I wish I had one. I could borrow my friends, but that would be difficult, and he uses it everyday for work. Maybe when the frame is all tacked together I could borrow it on a weekend and go non stop for 2 days to get it fully welded.

Bottom tubes and front end assembly tacked together.

Starting to build vertical!

Finally got a metric/fractional measuring tape. I ordered it from Sears Outline online. It was only $13 shipped!

I threw the seat in to get an idea where it wants to sit.

I'm thinking that a few small sections of seat need to be trimmed to fit around some tubes, but I should be able to make it work.

Passenger side. If I use 3/4" bracing tubes, and trim the seat slightly, I think it should work.

You can't lay a seat down without sitting in it!

If I fits, I sits. I'm not always thankful for short legs, but in times like these, I hit the jackpot.

PostPosted: October 30, 2017, 10:52 am 

Setting up the Klutch/Harbor Freight 4x6 horizontal bandsaw. It took a whole day, but the results are worth it. My cuts are much much better, and the angles are correct now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next