LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: November 5, 2017, 2:52 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome to the fabulous Team Slotus. Honored indeed.
However it's a little late for a build log. As soon as I'm finished with some interior things I will post some bad pics in 'Completed Builds'.

Cheers and kiss my Kodak goodbye, I've gone digital!

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 11:43 pm 

I starts to weld! I feel like I have enough of the tubes tacked together that I can begin fully welding.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 12:46 pm 

I started on the rear end!

So, I've made the decision to use the Vodou Miata rear end plans and mate them up to my Book chassis. It would have been easier to just use the entire Vodou plans, but oh well. This will work too, and I think it will work out just fine, unless anybody has any warnings!

Started with making the square base for the lower arms. I also had to cut out "O3" tube and replace it with a 1x2. I already had about 6 feet of it from an old build so it worked out!

Set the stock arms up on the table just to check it out.

How it sat after a day's work on the rear.

I made a plate out of 1/8" cold-rolled for my Klutch Northern Tool bandsaw. The blade moves a little slow for a vertical bandsaw, but it it kind of hard to change the speed. It sure beats a cut off wheel though!

Ok, a new day in the shop and I start working on the diff supports. The first thing I did was make the buckets. I used stock 240sx toe arm bushing housings that I cut off the arm. I burned the rubber bushings out and left the outer sleeve pressed in there, that is why you see a double wall. I welded 1/8" plate to the bottom with a 1/2" hole. I bolted both of the buckets to the subframe studs and made the connecting tube between, then welded it up.

Here I have the diff hanger tube clamped into place. There is a lot going on here, just to put the bar where it's supposed to be, square and even. The center line was spot on, but from the side tubes, it was about 2 mm off. I hope the adjustable control arms will make up for that. How perfect are you guys getting your tubes?

I start with the longer tubes that connect it to "O3". They were a compound cut!

Here I am cutting those difficult compound angles.

I am happy with the results.

The diff is bolted in and hangin on its own!

Much care was put into getting as good of a fitment as I could.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 12:54 pm 

I haven't posted in a couple weeks, so there are a few videos that will catch you up!

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 12:55 pm 

More work on the rear suspension pick up points.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 12:56 pm 

Starting the diff hanging process.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 1:33 pm 

Car Sick wrote:

When you get bored you can come over and weld on my chassis for a while!

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 4:36 pm 

TRX wrote:

^^^^^^ What he said! :shock:

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 8:48 pm 

Great work - inspiring. I still think I am going full Haynes, but your build made me consider going back to the Book (if for no other reason than to have Jim McSorely's great drawings!). I had asked if you knew what the weight difference was between the tubing and the rear subframe, but I don't think it really matters, since there is no way I'm using the big ugly subframe.

Your welds are great! When I built the last chassis (which was a Book), everything was dead nuts. There was a lot of cursing and fussing to get it that way. I agree with you that 2mm can be taken up with the suspension adjustment - is it 2mm on one side, or 1mm per side, or just a little here and a little there?

Keep those videos coming! They are a lot of fun while I'm drinking my coffee getting enough motivation to go tackle the donor car some more.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 9:40 pm 

Acerguy wrote:
TRX wrote:

^^^^^^ What he said! :shock:

lol, I don't have time to be bored! Although I did just order a really expensive welding helmet, so I have to start welding some more to justify it. I'm not a full time welder, but I do weld enough at work to need a good helmet. Maybe not as good as I bought, but I splurged a little. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm really excited for my new helmet.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 9:44 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
Great work - inspiring. I still think I am going full Haynes, but your build made me consider going back to the Book (if for no other reason than to have Jim McSorely's great drawings!). I had asked if you knew what the weight difference was between the tubing and the rear subframe, but I don't think it really matters, since there is no way I'm using the big ugly subframe.

Your welds are great! When I built the last chassis (which was a Book), everything was dead nuts. There was a lot of cursing and fussing to get it that way. I agree with you that 2mm can be taken up with the suspension adjustment - is it 2mm on one side, or 1mm per side, or just a little here and a little there?

Keep those videos coming! They are a lot of fun while I'm drinking my coffee getting enough motivation to go tackle the donor car some more.

Thanks! I like knowing that people enjoy all the hard work I do. You commented on YouTube right? You're right, the MsSorely drawings are very nice. Big, nicely drawn, easy to read when printed out. I'm actually having a hard time reading some of the Vodou plans because there is so much crammed on to one page when it is printed on regular size paper. Of course, if you had them on your phone or computer next to you it isn't as big of a deal. I don't bring my computer to the shop, it's just a little too dusty for my nice Mac.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 9:54 pm 

Yes, I did comment on YouTube about the weight, and I also answered your question - I do have the Vodou plans. Let me know if you need anything from them or the Saturn Sports Car plans. I have both.

:cheers:

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 10:27 pm 

Car Sick,

Your fab work and design talent are outstanding. Enjoying the stills but no videos are loading for me. Dang!

I used the subframe but not the Miata diff. So I trimmed the subframe significantly so I doubt there is more than 3LBs difference. Your's however is much cleaner (and prettier) and not taking up space that could be utilized like mine is.

Cheers

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 11:21 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
Yes, I did comment on YouTube about the weight, and I also answered your question - I do have the Vodou plans. Let me know if you need anything from them or the Saturn Sports Car plans. I have both.

:cheers:

I was looking for the Saturn stuff but I don't remember if I found them. I probably should have studied both first, but I just like to dive right in and get moving. I just can't deal with another 5 year project. I need to get this thing done as fast as possible while the SWMBO allows it.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 11:25 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Car Sick,

Your fab work and design talent are outstanding. Enjoying the stills but no videos are loading for me. Dang!

I used the subframe but not the Miata diff. So I trimmed the subframe significantly so I doubt there is more than 3LBs difference. Your's however is much cleaner (and prettier) and not taking up space that could be utilized like mine is.

Cheers

Thank you sir, but there are many more on this site who design better than me. I am just splicing a couple good chassis plans together and double/triple measuring. I was partially concerned about space. Part of me still wants to do the subframe. I bet I would have been done day one or two. I'm working on I think 4 or 5 days work on this rear so far.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next