LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rolvotus Se7en
PostPosted: October 23, 2017, 9:24 am 

seven13bt wrote:
Well, I answered your request for info based on my experience with 70's RX 2,3,4 and 7's. The "ribbed" case tranys have a separate bell housing from the main case which has both horizontal and vertical ribs about 2" apart.
I just went back in your log and looked at your powertrain and see that you have the '79 only 4-spd "smooth" case. The "smooth" case has an integral bell housing and no "ribs". But, it should also need about 2 quarts. Just add until it runs out the side plug. We ran 2 quarts in our 5-spd Mazda Comp racing boxes.

Thank you so much!! That's really good information. The guy I got the motor from said that he had no idea what year the motor or trans were. He had the motor in a Triumph Vitesse race car of some sorts and didn't know the full history of it. I basically got more information from your sentence than I did from countless conversations with the po.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: October 23, 2017, 7:04 pm 

In both my '79 RX-7 and '84 Mazda pickup, I found both transmissions were sensitive to the type of gear oil used, and neither much liked the usual Pennzoil or Valvoline 80w90. I'd had good luck with Dexron II ATF in other boxes, but the Mazda boxes didn't like that, either.

GM "Syncromesh" 30-wt gear oil (yes, 30) worked best of anything I tried, but it was still never as nice to shift as the nasty black goo that I drained out of them in the first place. The Mazda dealer just shrugged when I asked about buying whatever Mazda put in at the factory.

PostPosted: October 23, 2017, 7:57 pm 

I've been happy with the NEO 75W90 HD in the 5-spd in my car. But, consider that when a synchro has worn past its prime, the lube can only do so much. I had to replace the syncros in my '86 RX7 due to wear. Only had to make one special tool to get a bearing retainer nut off (a 16" deep socket).
But, TRX is right, all gear oils don't work the same.

PostPosted: October 24, 2017, 6:05 am 

Thanks guys for the tips on the transmission oil. I'm still at a loss what to use, but i'll figure it out.

Yesterday afternoon I spent some more time working on the side panels:

I still have to cut the hole for the exhaust.

I also got thinking about some seats I have, fiberglass baja bug types. However they're a few inches too wide so I took the saw to one of them to see how it could potentially work. Well it fits, and maybe with a bit more cutting to get them 'even' they could work.

The head rests are out of a Volvo 240.

Initial fit:

A bit of vinyl paint:

I quite like the look of them and they might work especially with a helmet. Then a guy reached out to me locally with these:

They might happen to fit so he's going to drop them off, so i'll check them out when they arrive.

Keeping my options open.

Dominoes delivered. Hand tossed, garlic parm base, chicken and pineapple. And some spicy wings.

PostPosted: October 24, 2017, 7:56 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Dominoes delivered. Hand tossed, garlic parm base, chicken and pineapple. And some spicy wings.
CHEATER!!! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 24, 2017, 8:31 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
CHEATER!!! :mrgreen:

Well......After doing car stuff, homework with the kiddo and then clothes shopping for him (do eight-year-olds ever stop growing? I guess not!) I kind of ran out of time to prepare our regular healthy feast of food. Plus..the wifey had a $5 off coupon! Bonus! :cheers:

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 6:15 am 

I should have taken more pictures, but it was overall a busy day at the shop (read: Driveway) yesterday.

I finally got around to fixing my pedal dilemma. I had unknowingly built the pedal box too far forward, which meant the drivers seat would have to be scooted forward about 3 inches from where it looked sensible, steering wheel rubbing on knees but the gear shifter would be fine. So the solution was to either remove the whole brake pedal assembly and try to re-engineer (read: walk around cussing a lot) the whole pedal box, steering column hangar and therefore scuttle frame or to think like a chimpanzee. I chose the latter, and therefore I introduce to you, the; Bradney Pedal Extenderator (*#%& - see footnote)

(This next part is best read in the style of a British 1940's accent)

Made from the finest grade stainless steel in a whopping 5/16 thickness these pedal extenderator's are an ideal solution for those with short legs or lack of fore-thought in the design process. With literally 30 minutes of design heritage these extenderators are sure to make your daily drive, or track days a breeze.

Here you can see the highest quality of finish of these wonderful products, so that your car will not only look good, but feel good too!

And did I mention, they're adjustable?!

In this picture you can see them mounted on the previous pedal assembly, thus bringing the pedal pad closer to the rear of the car by 3"

In all seriousness though, it's a solution to the problem. I'm not a huge fan of the single shear aspect of the bolts, I think that once we have found a final comfortable position for them I will possibly weld them to the brake arms as well as upgrading the bolts from the grade 8's to some driveshaft bolts for there shear strength. Or maybe just upgrade the bolts. We will see.

It also was nice because bringing the pedals back a bit also allowed them to sit in the wider section of the footwell, thus spacing them apart became easier. In this next picture you can see with that some daily width shoes my feet can actually hit the pedals without interference.

Well maybe the picture doesn't really show it all that well but I can. Note that the brake pedal was eventually bolted up correctly, not just balanced on the bolts.

This solves the footwell issue, and makes the car more comfortable to sit in. I will however have to fiddle around with the location of the gear stick, and bring that back a touch, and I still might go for a slightly smaller diameter steering wheel.

I also made a few discoveries;
1- the seats that I bought from a guy in the dark without a tape measure to hand don't fit, they're 2" too wide. They will be for sale, or for another project.

2- My Dzus fittings are two different sizes, which explains why my scuttle was flip flap flopping about and my nose wouldn't cinch down.

Taco Tuesday - chicken, bell peppers, jalapenos, sour-cream and cheese in flour tortillas (because corn tortillas are just wrong)

* - Patent Pending
# - Copyright 2017
% - Trademark
& - Other BS so people don't steal my s**t

** -hi

Last edited by aidandebradney on October 25, 2017, 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 8:33 am 

"Bradney Pedal Extenderator*"

Make sure you copyright that name, too! :lol:

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 8:38 am 

ngpmike wrote:
"Bradney Pedal Extenderator*"

Make sure you copyright that name, too! :lol:

Edited, thank you.

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 9:46 pm 

seven13bt wrote:
Only had to make one special tool to get a bearing retainer nut off (a 16" deep socket).

Hey, I have one of those too! Well, I bored out a socket and welded a handle on it to make a wrench to get one of the inner bearings off.

Anyone who needs it, it's yours for the price of shipping.

PostPosted: October 26, 2017, 5:35 am 

TRX wrote:
seven13bt wrote:
Only had to make one special tool to get a bearing retainer nut off (a 16" deep socket).

Hey, I have one of those too! Well, I bored out a socket and welded a handle on it to make a wrench to get one of the inner bearings off.

Anyone who needs it, it's yours for the price of shipping.

I'll take it, just in case. Pm me or text 8zero5-259-9026

PostPosted: October 26, 2017, 6:27 am 

Well guys, yesterday was a great day!

Wrapping up some little "need to be done but can't be motivated'" projects, such as a stainless steel battery tie down strap thingy:

Then I went grocery shopping with the wifey, and she had a job interview (and she got the position :lol: ) and when I arrived home, something was on the porch:

'Twas like Christmas, couldn't get the boxes opened quick enough:

Them pipes got hot pretty quick:

And a couple of videos.

I turned my speedster around:

https://youtu.be/wdGzxZkz8Fg

And running engine on the Locost:

https://youtu.be/jCprSeMndt0

Went to the local church for trunk or treat and had Chilli and hot dogs.

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 6:07 am 

Morning/afternoon/evening all!

Well yesterday was certainly a milestone day for me. With 80% of the nuts and bolts tightened up and the tailpipe on, figured it was time for a test drive. Well, not really a huge distance but I couldn't resist.

Things I learned from this very short drive:

1- I need softer shocks especially in the rear
2- I need to centralize the tie rod ends and center the steering
3- This thing is going to accelerate like crazy
4- This is an amazingly fun project

Link to video:

https://youtu.be/hznTkgFEYQU

I figured 163 days from first cut to first drive. Minus 30 days for June where I did absolutely nothing.

Pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, lettuce, peas and bacon bits.

PostPosted: October 30, 2017, 6:04 am 

Well last week I sold my Model A Speedster thingy to a real nice chap on the East coast, which meant for me a couple of things;

1- A little cash flow to finish off the things that I still need to finish, seat belts, roll bar, windshield etc. on the Rolvotus

2- I could take the family away for the weekend, stay in a hotel, eat plenty of prime rib and do some swimming

3- Made a little space on the driveway, so I could pull my winter beater project out of storage.

I intend by the end of November to have Rolvotus winterized and tarped/bagged up out of harms way until the spring. But I want to carry on building through the winter so meet See-Jay:

A 1959 Willys Jeep CJ5.

I know hardly anything about these, but this kind of fell on my lap a while back, no engine,trans or transfer-case, no driveshafts, axles unknown condition.

Plan is to drop into it a Volvo B18 motor I have lay around here, mated to a volvo gearbox and some sort of transfer-case, minimum complications as far as wiring and beautifying.

I have been looking for some CJ5 forums, I have found a few, but none of them are as nice as this one. just sayin'!

Does anyone on here have knowledge of CJ5's? I've got myself a Haynes on order, but I'm sure that wont answer all the questions.

Chicken pot pie....simples.

PostPosted: October 30, 2017, 9:31 am 

What do you need a CJ forum for? With your expected B18 mods, I don't think anyone there will be of any help. :shock:

Stick around. You'll get some good ideas from some great thinkers right here.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next