LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rolvotus Se7en
PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 5:47 am 

300D50 wrote:
One of the indicators at this search may meet your criteria.

Digikey Link

I preselected 12V, non-solder terminals, in stock, and the closest to 9/16 diameter I could find.

That's great thanks, i'll certainly look into those.

PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 5:56 am 

I got home and the wifey wanted to go up into the Canyon with the dog to see the changing leaves on her day off.

I'm super glad we did

Didn't have much time to work on the car after that, but I ended up at least getting the fuel lines finished up. I'm not super happy with it and I think eventually i'll go with some kind of hardline between the two carbs. I have time to think on that. But this is my 1 photograph of car productivity from yesterday.

Pan baked Swai fish, roasted root vegetables smothered in hollandaise sauce for dinner .

PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 7:08 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Pan baked Swai fish, roasted root vegetables smothered in hollandaise sauce for dinner .
Y'all sure do eat good out there. Maybe instead of sending you some Cajun coffee, I'll just bring it to ya... And show up around dinner time!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 7:34 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Y'all sure do eat good out there. Maybe instead of sending you some Cajun coffee, I'll just bring it to ya... And show up around dinner time!

Well I believe in eating healthy home cooked food, and I love to cook. I think its good for our son to see that it's okay for dad's/men to cook and to eat a hearty, sit down meal at the table each evening. Our front door is always open to visitors, and if ever you do find yourself in town, 6pm is dinner time, and there is always room at the table for more folk.

PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 6:24 am 

Had some pretty rough news this weekend so progress on the car was halted, however Joshua from 8Eight fab sent me some progress pics of the exhaust which looks beautiful:

PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 11:48 am 

I think I'm going to have to give Josh the commission when it comes time to do the headers for my car. He does really nice work!

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 5:57 am 

Yesterday afternoon the sun was shining and it was warm enough to finally tear into my new (to me) carbs. These are Weber 36 dcd's sitting on a Rotary Engineering intake manifold, made for that purpose.

I had had the car kind of idling under choke a few days ago but it was rough. I popped the tops off and started tearing into the jets, venturi tubes etc. They were coated with a white fuel residue that was blocking quite a few of the holes in the jets etc. Cleaned them all with carb cleaner and a little piece of welding wire to poke the holes out. I put it all back together and figured, why not give it a shot.

Unfortunately I did not get pics of the process above due to my hands being covered in gas and cleaner, but I did video the results. Now please bear in mind that the volume of the engine is not transferred very well in these videos, meaning I can't have the engine running too long while I don't have a muffler on it. There fore the carbs are not balanced or tuned yet.

For your viewing pleasure (excuse the vertical camera syndrome) :

https://youtu.be/Vg49Xqj7lBQ

https://youtu.be/dCCMLf4uPbg

I then went on to hook up my tach and voltage gauge, this video is shot from the drivers seat:

https://youtu.be/NWtUyjWfTyQ

And with a little bit of heat/daylight left I finally got my rear panel back on:

And.... I also got finished pics from Joshua:

Breakfast sausages, curly fries and Heinz baked beans drowned in HP Brown sauce for dinner.

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 6:07 am 
We are Slotus!

A buddy of mine introduced me to HP sauce some years ago. It's good stuff!

Our man Josh does some purty work, don't he?

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 6:12 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:

Yes, very yes indeed, my parents bring it over from England when they come to visit each year.

GonzoRacer wrote:
Our man Josh does some purty work, don't he?

It's beautiful, so glad I went this route.

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 2:38 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
I think I'm going to have to give Josh the commission when it comes time to do the headers for my car. He does really nice work!

Let me know when you are ready, and what you have in mind.

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 2:40 pm 

Thanks JD! Really glad he gave me a chance to do his exhaust for him, granted Aidan did all the hard work.

Looking forward to seeing it on the car and videos. Maybe one day I'll make it over to Utah and meet the man and the machine.

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 3:24 pm 

Briggs wrote:
Maybe one day I'll make it over to Utah and meet the man and the machine.

If you're going to Utah from the Carolinas, you'd better stop in Missouri and say "HI"! :wink:

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 6:27 am 

I dug my trusty old air/fuel ratio gauge out of the garage, it has been in a few of my cars over time, plus on a test stand motor and i've also shoved it up a few tailpipes prior to taking emissions tests.

Here it is in all its beauty, Innovate LC1:

2 1/8" Hole cut:

Wired the module up and fastened it behind the dash:

Mounted in the dash:

We have power!!

The red led flashes to let you know what stage of the calibration you are at, and the red push button 'grounds' the afr gauge for the actual calibration.

And once its calibrated it should give you the read out (around 14.7), in the meantime with the wideband not plugged into anything or reading anything it just flashed at 7.4.

So once I get my exhaust from Briggs, I can plug in and see where we are at.

I also had a bit of time left so I started fastening the rear tub 'officially' with permanent rivets. These are 3/16 wide head pre-painted rivets from Speedway. Steel shank and aluminum heads. The rear tub is made from plastic, we will see how it lasts.

First one goes in, no turning back now!

Then I got carried away:

Then I mounted up the fender flanges from Jack.

Skip forward half an hour:

I also installed by hi-tech oil measuring device, this is to add two stroke oil to the fuel mixture:

And I started work on closing up the gaping hole in the hood from the various cab setups I've tried out. The black paint on the aluminum piece that's cleco'd will obviously not be on there and the edges will be 'made nice'

Pasta, chicken, vegatables and cheesy sauce.

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 7:03 am 
We are Slotus!

Nice work on the A/F Ratio gauge.

Might have ya beat on dinner. We browned some Italian sausage and drained it, then simmered some slightly modified Newman's roasted garlic alfredo sauce until it was bubbling and put the sausage back in it for a while. Then we boiled some cheese tortellini (sp?) and mixed the whole bizness together. (I was in charge of stirring the pasta.)

It wuz goooooddd stuff!

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 7:53 pm 

aidandebradney wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:

Yes, very yes indeed, my parents bring it over from England when they come to visit each year.

Have them bring you a bottle of Daddies Sauce also. It's another brand of brown sauce, like HP, but with a slightly different flavour. It is very good!

Weber 36DCD carbs are some of the best carbs that Weber ever designed/manufactured. Abarth used them on a lot of their small capacity race engines back in the 60's and they were really easy to dial in, tuned very easily, and didn't suffer from long periods of sitting inactive as race engines are prone to doing. I've had one on my Abarth since the early 70's and it has only required opening up for a big cleaning once in the ensuing 40 years ( although I've been running 100LL aviation gas in that car since premium leaded disappeared from the gas station).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next