LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 442e BMW M10
PostPosted: November 11, 2017, 8:53 am 

Hi Allen, Welcome. Thats the same engine I have. At that milage the only thing that would worry me is rings and or oil consumption. They are a solid title engine. There isn't a whole lot to do to them as far as power. The by far cheapest power to get out of them is a turbo. and they are turbo ready from the factory. Mazda built them for a safe 15psi. to get more change out pistons and rods the crank is already forged your at 40psi. have fun, your on a good start.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: November 11, 2017, 7:37 pm 

Well, the motor runs! Even on crappy old gas (2/3 of a tank) that probably has been in it since Sept 2015 when it was written off.

That may sway me to using this motor/transmission over the BMW setup. I'm not sure how much fun it would be to cut down a two piece drive shaft and fit it in.

Wow, the dash was a pain to remove!

PostPosted: November 11, 2017, 7:52 pm 

The only thing you will need to make your drive shaft is your rear end yoke and tranny yoke. Set your tranny yoke in the rear push it all the way in, then pull it out 1". Then measure between the two yoke centers on the bearing holes. That's your measurement. Take the 2 parts to your machine shop. It cost me $200 for the shaft. That 1.8l rear end will take as much as 350hp. The 5speed in that light of car is probably good for 300hp. The newer 6speed is good for what ever you can throw at it.

PostPosted: November 11, 2017, 10:29 pm 

Unfortunately, there is no front yoke. The 2002's and E21 (and probably others) have guibo (rubber bushing) between the driveshaft and the transmission, and then there is a u joint after a center support bearing, and another at the flange at the diff... By doing this, they can use a much smaller diameter tube for the same power.

And I think the drive shaft I have is an 'older' one, so the area by the center section is even longer...

THe old M10 can sit until I re-do the tii's motor. Its megasquirted already using an E21 intake, but have plans to build ITB's for it.

The all Mazda setup doesn't bother me. Lots of reference material out there. Only thing that bugs me: the exhaust will be on the drivers side, where the M10 has it on the passenger side.

Oh yeah, when I had a drive shaft shortened for my 5 speed in the tii, most places didn't know how to do it (no front yoke scared them), and the one that knew how to (they just asked for the flange from the transmission, bolted it together) charged $400 to take out 90mm :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 12, 2017, 12:13 am 

Wow. The Germans are great but man they can really go out of the way to make life difficult. Just put a big can on the exhaust and quiet it down. I ended mine short because of the step over bit. We’ll see how it goes for noise.

PostPosted: November 13, 2017, 9:35 pm 

Re German parts: I like to think purpose built, but a pain to modify :)

So, does anyone re-use the donor wiring harness? I'm 3/4 way through pulling it out (passenger side north of the firewall left) and that is A LOT OF WIRE!!! I guess the only other car I've taken apart was a 68 carb'd BMW, which had significantly less.

I'm thinking that a Megasquirt (I've already done a BMW M10) and custom wired may actually be easier, at least from a troubleshooting point. I'd probably re-use a bunch of the existing connectors/wire, but....

PostPosted: November 13, 2017, 10:44 pm 

Being a little on the lazy side and easily confused I went with the Painless setup and Mega Squirt's harness. I liked the wires all being labeled 8<]

PostPosted: November 13, 2017, 10:57 pm 

If you reuse the harness and just take out what you don’t need you can use megasquirts
Plug n play. You need the OEM ECU plug for that. As long as you have all the plug connections you might as well use them. Otherwise splicing them onto megas harness would work too.

PostPosted: November 30, 2017, 12:48 am 

Well, after a bunch of disassembly of a miata, I have parts.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a YAM build (Yet Another Miata). The flanged two piece BMW drive shaft would cause me too much grief, and I've got a Miata drive train now. It fired up on 2 year old gas, and didn't make too many bad noises.

I've got the shell tucked away in a corner of the garage waiting for someone to come get the shell, and see how many parts he wants. Shell goes for free, parts, we'll see.

I've got a megasquirt 3.0 board/v2 CPU on order. They don't look to bad to hook up to the Miata engine. I labeled everything on the wiring harness in case I re-used the whole thing, but I'll probably only use the connectors. Shame to cut up a harness, but getting the connectors would be another pain. Anyone need a ECU for a 94? :)

I realized (should have much earlier) that I need some plans to hang that Miata diff. Found the VoDou plans, and will run that way. There will be a little bit of thumb in the air/one eye closed/head tilted engineering, but it should work with out too much back tracking. Front suspension mount points will be off a touch, but should be OK. I'm not sure if I'm missing parts of the plans, but there a bunch of number that are a pain to find. It can be done, but jumping back and forth in the plans to find them... The McSorley plans have a lot more information. Ended up drawing up the diff hanger in CAD just to have the numbers all in one place.
Pictures are giving me grief right now, so I'll see if I can get some up later

Night all

PostPosted: November 30, 2017, 12:56 am 

Well posting worked better tonight, so I'll see if I can get some pictures up.

A couple of the donor, Diff hanger, and then tonight the diff place for initial fit.

Night all

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 30, 2017, 1:21 am 

Good start! Have a couple of things to say. The M1 and M2 tubes are vertical for locating a live axle. When using IRS it's best to run the bottoms of these tube back to the rear bulkhead tubes, triangulating the area. At this point it's not too late to move them.

I do suggest the DIY wiring harness. All the wires you need are there and all are labeled. A little less headache producing head scratching.

Good building!

PostPosted: November 30, 2017, 11:53 am 

+1 for relocating M1 & M2 tubes!

PostPosted: November 30, 2017, 7:50 pm 

OK, I don't have to be told 3 times :)

I'll probably leave the existing ones there, then angle from the bottom corner up to the top of M1-2. That's more or less what the VoDou plans have

PostPosted: December 1, 2017, 2:07 am 

xferboy wrote:
OK, I don't have to be told 3 times :)

I'll probably leave the existing ones there, then angle from the bottom corner up to the top of M1-2. That's more or less what the VoDou plans have

Apparently you do my friend.

PostPosted: December 1, 2017, 2:12 am 

xferboy wrote:
And there was Roughriders hat in the trunk!

Which Roughriders, Saskatchewan Roughriders? You up in Canada?