LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: May 30, 2018, 11:34 pm 

Yes, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 5, 2018, 5:54 pm 

There are now hot air outlet louvers in the hood and a cold air box underneath the cold air inlet where the air filter resides.
Also added a roll bar. The main hoop is welded in, while the forward stays are bolted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 14, 2019, 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: June 5, 2018, 11:06 pm 

Where did you get those louvers? It looks like they are fabricated pieces that are then bolted into cutouts on the bonnet - correct? I like it.

PostPosted: June 5, 2018, 11:35 pm 

Randy,
Yes, the louvers were fabricated using the procedure that I posted on May 29th in this log. The only thing different from your description is that they are riveted in-place using 3/32" countersunk solid rivets.
Thanks,
Ron

PostPosted: June 6, 2018, 11:19 am 

Don't know how I missed that! Thanks for posting all of the steps. That finished product looks great!

PostPosted: June 12, 2018, 4:03 pm 

Per the suggestion by TRX, the car was put back crossways on the trailer and the rigging/loading/measuring parts attached.
With panels, rollbar and braces, the torsional stiffness is 4,190 ft-lb per degree. With the rollbar braces disconnected, the measurement dropped to 3,670 ft-lb per degree. Reconnecting the braces resulted in an increase to 4,110 ft-lb per degree, but not all the way back to the initial measurement. All calcs were done using the average of three loadings with the load removed and dial indicator measuring the deflection zeroed if it didn't actually return to zero (it usually did).
The results appear reasonable since the bare chassis (2,830 ft-lb/degree) had no triangulation in the floor area and it now has an 1/8" thick pan bolted in.

PostPosted: June 24, 2018, 2:36 pm 

Ducting was made for the nosecone opening to radiator face as well as a classic grille. Since the clamshell fenders would go with the Caterham (wake up - it's for sale), I didn't want to paint them white. So, I made my first attempt at vinyl wrapping (drivers side). It didn't go well. Compound curves are the hardest to do. After more video study and a heavier emphasis on patience, the other side was a 90% improvement. The longterm plan is painted fenders and body.
My wife sewed up some covers for the seat padding made from layers of backpackers bedroll. Seat belts have been installed. I'm hoping to do some testing this Friday. Since the tires are five and six years old, I proly won't race it yet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 29, 2018, 7:32 pm 

The car was taken out today for some load testing and AFR adjustments as necessary. After one pass the 5k and 6K VEs were richened slightly. More fine tuning will be done when there are some fresh tires on it and it's really being pushed hard. :D

https://youtu.be/8tUUDF-TSK0

PostPosted: June 30, 2018, 11:46 am 

That display in the lower right [Tach, AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio?) and G-meter] of yout YouTube video is totally cool. I assume you've joined some other input from a data collection software package into a video creation program?

Do your camera and data collection instruments have a common sync signal? What S/W do you use for data collection? What do you use to create the combined video?

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 30, 2018, 10:49 pm 

The sync is just time. The Innovate Motorsports pocket logger starts when I push the button. Since I don't push the button (remote) on the GoPro at exactly the same time, I sync the the two using the video launch movement with the acceleration g's in the datalog. The IM data are saved to an SD card, The files are opened in Logworks and after any adjustments ( i.e. zero g's when stationary) the file is saved in .csv format. The GoPro videos are just downloaded to a desktop. The files are merged and synced using RaceRender. This s/w gives you the capability to create the gages and designate which .csv column(s) of data to display. When this is completed, you click "create video" which yields the product that can be uploaded to youtube.
Sounds complicated and time consuming, but after you've done it a few times it's done with ease.

PostPosted: July 2, 2018, 8:41 am 

Thanks for the details. I'm trying to make myself more aware of what's out there and how it's used.

I haven't made a serious effort to understand the whole data logging world (that term seems to cover a lot, including the instrumentation) yet because it's a ways off in my future, but I plan to use it in my "test and development" stage after the car is on the road. I'll never race, but I do want to get the most from my Locost, and I think data logging will be essential to doing that.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 10:24 pm 

I've been spending all of my time and money on converting the Caterham back into a street car, so the Locost doesn't have fresh race tires on it yet, but I couldn't skip an autocross weekend just because the car was going to be slow. The important thing is that it's drivable. :D Here's the first run from today.

https://youtu.be/l9ZiZqBQRng

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 3:32 pm 

Updated photos, since old EMod car doesn't exist anymore and I needed a new avatar.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 14, 2019, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 3:35 pm 

Awesome.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 3:48 pm 

Thanks locofinn. I hope you can find the solution to your vss problem soon. Hang in there. Sorry I can't contribute to the effort, all I've worked with is aftermarket ecu's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next