LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 12:06 am 

Yeah I'm back in the game, the game that started here ... viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15967

Attachment:
roller 1.JPG

2017 a year I would rather forget, and sadly only left with memories now of my Mum.

No need to explain everything out, unless you're a policeman, but Largo 'take 2' draws heavily from the original with some simple, but at the same time, major differences in mechanical components and a change from fiberglass bodywork to steel or aluminium sheet. It still retains the philosophy of large, large for real sized people to fit inside with comfort and safety, and excellent touring capability.

Attachment:
snug as a bug.jpg

I intend to devote one clear day per week to the build, and hours here and there when I have them. From scratch this is what i have done in the last 2 weeks. Note the bodywork panels are just test patterns to fit everything up.

Attachment:
chassis new.jpg

Attachment:
initiate bodywork 1.jpg

Attachment:
scuttle panel fitted.jpg

Where possible I will be using off the shelf OEM components to keep costs down and availability high, these lower control arms complete cost under $20 for example ...

Attachment:
lower arm.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 2:35 am 

Good to see you back Cheapie. Sorry to hear about your Mum. I’ll be watching this build with interest!!

PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 10:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Cheapy! Glad you're back.
Sad news about your Mama. Happens to all of us, I guess, but still, hard to get through. Hang in there.

Interesting chassis pics. Keep 'em coming!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 12:13 pm 

Thanks Bill, JD.

Yup, statistics say that 99% of us are going to die.

Just sitting here putting my freshly acquired upright into 3D ...

Attachment:
upright.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 1:26 pm 

As others have said, it's nice to have you back!

PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 4:58 pm 

Ditto the others sentiment. Always enjoy yourmposts.

PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 5:01 pm 

Great to see you back. I though we had lost you to the cyber abyss.

Sorry to hear about your Mum.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 5:15 pm 

Like the others have said, good to have you back. You've always been a good resource for this group.
Sorry for your loss. :(

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: January 17, 2018, 4:49 am 

Thanks Guys, appreciated.

Another thing I have been doing recently is building a plane, a lot of involvement in sorting out build processes suitable for what's available in my surrounding districts. I have become quite proficient with aluminium and laser cutting, I do all my own 3D and 2D work for it, and have invented a few successful assembly techniques that will be applied directly to the car. The bonnet, or hood, is a direct example of some of that applied thinking.

I designed it last night in 3D after a trial run with cheap tin and a few dimension mods, flattened it to 2D, sent it email to my laser guy, and this morning picked up the pieces and started to assemble it, alas had to go go do some real work halfway through it.

PostPosted: January 17, 2018, 12:39 pm 

Welcome back! May this year be better than last year. :cheers:

I'm glad to see progress resuming. It's definitely hard to argue with the simplicity of basic sheet metal shapes.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: January 18, 2018, 9:50 am 

Thanks D5.

Bit more with the bonnet today, getting the fitment right with this test one, and eventually will make the final one which will include you not seeing the rivets. .. and of course cut some louvres into it, gotta have louvres!

PostPosted: January 18, 2018, 10:49 am 

Welcome back, Cheapie. It is good to have you on here again.

At the same time, I'm very sorry that you lost your mom. I was very close to my mom too, and the only thing that seemed to make things better was time. Eventually, you'll remember the good times more and feel the loss less.

That's great about the airplane interest. Just remember the cautionary phrase popular with hang glider and ultra light pilots, "Don't fly higher than you're willing to fall." Cheerful lot, eh what?

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 20, 2018, 8:22 am 

Glad to see you are back at it! I really like what you are doing !!! I will be watching with GREAT INTEREST !!!

PostPosted: January 20, 2018, 8:46 am 

Glad to see -U back,
I am intrigued at the way you switched from GF to aluminum. You have done an excellent job. I have spend days agonising on the front bonnet myself, trying to create a curved structure that would swing open ...out of sheet steel. I finally managed but it does not look as good as yours. It is also way heavier. The key to your design IMO is to make a hood that can be lifted when needed instead of swung open (the most common scenario). In your case because of the light weight of aluminum lifting makes a lot of sense :cheers:

PostPosted: January 21, 2018, 1:39 am 

phil wrote:
Glad to see -U back,
I am intrigued at the way you switched from GF to aluminum. You have done an excellent job. I have spend days agonising on the front bonnet myself, trying to create a curved structure that would swing open ...out of sheet steel. I finally managed but it does not look as good as yours. It is also way heavier. The key to your design IMO is to make a hood that can be lifted when needed instead of swung open (the most common scenario). In your case because of the light weight of aluminum lifting makes a lot of sense :cheers:

You're welcome to any files I have.

You can do it by hand no problems. You will need to fold some of it on a brake though, that center fold gives big strength and allows thinner material. I tested 0.025" steel sheet and it was fine due to that center rib offering a lot of strength, as well as the support flanges. I would happily use steel by the way, the thicker aluminium does have better oil canning properties though.

But wait, there's more! I ordered my nose from the old molds, and getting an old mold f'glass bonnet as well, and I'm going to try an easier way to do the steel/aluminium bonnet through the week. I will then decide the preferred method.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next