LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: January 21, 2018, 7:26 am 

You're welcome to any files I have.

You can do it by hand no problems. You will need to fold some of it on a brake though, that center fold gives big strength and allows thinner material. I tested 0.025" steel sheet and it was fine due to that center rib offering a lot of strength, as well as the support flanges. I would happily use steel by the way, the thicker aluminium does have better oil canning properties though.

But wait, there's more! I ordered my nose from the old molds, and getting an old mold f'glass bonnet as well, and I'm going to try an easier way to do the steel/aluminium bonnet through the week. I will then decide the preferred method.[/quote]

The centre rib is a great idea. If it were two ribs instead, one could perhaps roll 2 half inch beads to achieve the same rigidity. It may not look as nice as what you have done though.
To bend round my .040'' sheet steel I have used a 4'' steel tube, some flats and clamps. :cheers:

PostPosted: January 21, 2018, 10:28 am 

No rocket science about the center rib, many mature members will remember all cars used to have them.

It's just 3 x 45 degree folds, about 3/8" or 10mm apart (bend lines prior to folding).

MUST remember though that the folds pulls the width of the sheet in by about 1/4" or 6mm.

PostPosted: January 23, 2018, 8:16 am 

I am making a large car too. I like your work a lot - i also try to be very practical in my designs (these days, i generally describe myself as a pragmatic capitalist)

102 WB, chassis is 51" wide across the drivers compartment, 29.5" to top of cowl

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 23, 2018, 1:40 pm 

Sean, that is simply inspiring.

Excellent proportions, reminds me of one I worked a lot on in 3D and wanted to do, and may one day. a 1950's Indy roadster for 2 full size people.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 2:30 pm 

Should have a fresh nose cone tomorrow, and at the same time I'm having a glass bonnet made up as well just to compare.

And who doesn't love it when a box of bits arrives! These lower wishbones already have coil over shock mounts from the factory ....

Attachment:
wishbones arrive.jpg

Attachment:
wishbones arrive 2.jpg

PostPosted: January 30, 2018, 2:11 pm 

Just plodding along, while singing a song, getting my front suspension all sorted while I'm waiting for my nose cone and bonnet to be ready. Playing around with components from a couple of different vehicles to see which works out best.

PostPosted: January 30, 2018, 4:20 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I apologize in advance, but every time I see this build title it registers as LARD O in my brain.

I'm not against the size in any way because I feel they need to be either large enough for 2 to fit comfortable or just make it a commodious single seater. Wasn't it configured for 2 originally due to either some British laws or else some racing class originally?

(JD commodious does not have the root word commode)

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 3:25 am 

carguy123 wrote:
I apologize in advance, but every time I see this build title it registers as LARD O in my brain.

:lol: the following is answer in general to this 'larger' enquiry, not your post specifically.

Because you may only be viewing from a singular context, that being a comparison to a book Locost or Lotus 7. It was always intended to be larger, and it's certainly not aimed at, nor ever was aimed at the pure ethos of the Lotus 7, i.e. ridiculously small and as light as possible. By the way, have you ever seen a 442 parked next to a Lotus 7? Ever stood at a car show with *Caterham/Locost/etc* and watched large men take one look, shake their heads and walk away?

It was always intended to be more of a larger Sports Tourer, able to hold 2 people, including larger people, in comfort within the confines of the frame's perimeter without needing to be best friends with your pax, and shoulders/arms hanging out the sides. My Mate has a Fraser 7 (New Zealand), is 7ft tall and no one but a small child can ride with him. 2 of him can fit in mine with ease.

Further, the frame is intended for, and is torsionally fit for V6 and V8 accomodation. Another Mate waiting for his Largo, has already obtained a GM 3.6 V6 with (shock horror) an auto. As will mine likely be a GM 3.6 and auto (dirt cheap and thousands in Australia).

Yes, it will be heavier than a typical Locost at around 700kgs/1550lbs, so what, it will also be fantastically lighter than a, for example, 1,700kgs/3,750lbs Chev Camaro/Holden Commodore that you might lift the 3.6 V6 or 6.2 V8 out of, and of course that's the comparison that's relevant, not a comparison to a book Locost.

So, in the case of GM power units, 250hp V6 or 420hp V8 pushing 1500 to 1600lbs that betters power to weight ratios of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, and that in no way can be claimed as "Lard O".

A closer comparison, and Sports Touring ethos, is to that of a Morgan Plus 8, at 850kgs/1900lbs, would you consider the Morgan to be obese? Testers actually rave about it's power to weight. Incidentally, virtually every Morgan ever sold in the USA was a V8, indicating the market preference for "Lard O" there. The Largo is a bit smaller all round than the Morgan.

With the properly located rear axle, larger brakes and increased tire patch, I am quite confident in it's ability to match a typical Locost at a track day too, not the intention though, I simply feel there's a hole in the market for a larger, touring 7 that has more road presence.

And far more important above any other reasoning, it's the car that I want. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 8:52 am 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
And far more important above any other reasoning, it's the car that I want. Hope that helps.
Well said, Sir! A logical and reasonable explanation. You obviously don't belong here... :mrgreen:

And yes, that last bit sums things up perfectly.
:cheers:
JD "Built an Odd Ball Car Myself" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 31, 2018, 3:20 pm 
Toyotaphobe

As I said, I prefer the larger car. I wasn't trying to pick on you, it's just the way my brain works (or doesn't work). Largo kept translating itself in my head to Lardo. Even if I hadn't know you were building a bigger one that's what would have happened.

The original 7 fit for it's time, but times have changed and since engine physical dimensions are so much bigger as well as HP it is only "fitting" that we have larger cars. But even the largest 7 type is still tiny by comparison to modern iron.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 1, 2018, 2:15 am 

Besides "simplicate and add lightness", Chapman's suitable donors were small sedans; laughably small by American standards. Early cars used a Nash rear end which was intended for a sedan, where the cockpit could be wider than the rear end. In the 7 and its predecessors, the chassis and seats had to sit between the rear wheels, which narrowed the cockpit considerably.

Also remember that "cycle-cars" were still being made in England, and some of them were even narrower than the 7...

The Ford Kent four was a big engine in its day, but it was still easily stuffed up in the nose of the car.

Stuff a modern OHC engine in, add a bulky modern transmission instead of the breadbox-sized original, start with a donor rear end eighty pounds heavier and a foot wider than the original, Miata front uprights instead of Triumph, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, bigger tires, and weight ratchets right on up there. You can go nuts trying to "be faithful to the original", or you can just build to accomodate the donor bits you're using.

PostPosted: February 1, 2018, 12:33 pm 

[/quote]
Yes, it will be heavier than a typical Locost at around 700kgs/1550lbs, so what,

And far more important above any other reasoning, it's the car that I want. Hope that helps.[/quote]

:) Size matters as they say.
I built my first seven to about 1700 lbs, including a spare wheel and a 442 chassis, all steel body and pontoons. This was not an accident. I did not feel that I had to build a track racer nor to emulate Collin Chapman's miniature kit car. I followed Uncle Champions' book as a guidance because I understood it. But I also followed my instinct (and the knowledge of others) on the size of material to be used. Safety being my priority, etc My view is that builders have to answer basically 3 questions before the start: How big a driver am I, how big a donor engine do I have, and the main one: am I going to race this thing. :cheers:

PostPosted: February 1, 2018, 4:15 pm 

Thanks for your notes Guys.

Nothing to report, been busy the last few days, better check to see if my nosecone is done tomorrow.

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 7:21 am 

Nosecone done, grabbed a bonnet/hood while I was at it, not sure if I will use it or part of it yet, it's a bit bland, needs some louvres and a scoop maybe ..

PostPosted: February 9, 2018, 3:32 pm 

I think I sorted out the bonnet/hood now, maybe sticking with the fiberglass after all after cutting it into 3 sections it doesn't look so bulky now.

I also MIGHT look at using struts up front like I did successfully on my Exo.

I was looking at the Robin Hood setup and it's not pretty because it's an overwhelmingly large structure, but it's a good idea, just use a lot less of it as I have paint'shopped here ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next