LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 8:25 pm 

Well, its about time I started my build log. I started locosting a while ago, actually, I started reading the forum about 4 years ago, maybe longer I can't remember. For a while I think I kept up with every post on the forum, but my time shrank, and I felt like I had a pretty good understanding of locosts. I probably didn't, but I felt like it :) So like any good engineer I tried to find the most optimal form that my locost should take. I decided that it had to have a book frame with 4 cylinder under 2 liters, so the first years of the s2000 seemed to be the best choice, but not cheap. I figured this would make it more useable if I ever get the chance to do some racing since it fill still fall into D mod. I bought a totalled s2k a year and a half ago and stripped it completely apart, and labeled everything and started trying to sell parts. It takes a long time, but it brings costs down. You could spend as much money on a locost as you want and still come at free if you part out enough cars, but you'll spend the better part of your life doing it. That's probably enough rambling for now. I'll start posting some pictures and more rambling later.
Sam

Also s27sam = s2k + seven -> s27 (I thought it was cool and the name wasn't taken) :)

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 9:17 pm 
The voice of reason

Welcome S27sam. I think we hope there are a bunch like you, that silently take the stuff in and then come out of the woodwork with a started build. The more the better.

I am sure many people will enjoy reading your log, hopefully some of them will be silent readers that one day pop up with a started build. Your going to have a huge adventure! :cheers:

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 8:09 pm 

Well, I thought I had more pictures of the very beginning of things, but I guess I lost them in computer transitions. Here are a couple of pictures of what the donor looked like after I started taking it apart
Sam

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 8:37 pm 
The voice of reason

Looks like no shortage of work or storage space, nice wheels too. Winter comes early there though! :)

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 9:45 pm 

Here is some of the beginning of my frame building. At first I was planning on going all out making my own independent rear end, coilovers all around, but the frugal (cheap, poor, ...) side of me realized that I could save quite a bit by using the rear subframe from the s2000. This would have a number of advantages, it would save money on shocks, heims, tubing, fuel tank, fuel pump and wiring. This would also speed the build up considerably, eliminate a bunch of work by using the original location for the fuel tank, and provide a solid mounting foundation for the rear end since the s2000 mounts the entire differential to the rear subframe with no frame extension like the miatas. It has some extra benefits too, but I don't realize this till a little later, so I'll hold off on that for now. It also appears that although I may gain a little weight (hopefully just a little :) ) I shouldn't get much longer than the original plans, maybe not any longer at all, I have taken the final measurements yet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 10:09 pm 

Yeah, august is over and we're ready for snow here in OH. (I may be ready to stop mowing, but the snow is a product of my lazy internet effort) I think I decided Dec/Jan would be a great time to remove the engine and put the shell of the car on a wagon to go into another barn for some shop space. At this point I've had the donor about 6 months, but only started stripping id for a few weeks, the frame didn't start till the next year at the beginning of fall/end of summer. I worked a bunch on it for a week or so, then basically stopped for another year except for setting the rear subframe up behind it to see what it would look like. At this point I had sold my '90 miata about 1.25 years ago and had been driving my inherited buick century (giant sponge on wheels). By last Christmas I had decided I couldn't wait I needed a miata again. I couldn't/shouldn't afford one, but I needed one in the worst way possible. The second generation is my personal favorite, and it is becoming affordable enough to tempt me beyond my self control. Obviously I need the limited slip rear end, so I need to step to the nicer packages = more $$. I bought one on ebay (christmas morning), and before I take off for Pittsburgh to get it on a trailer I talk to the guy and find out it has bald rear tires (not the end of the world), and one other small thing, the check engine light is coming on every now and then (not acceptable for a daily driver that I paid plenty for to get a low mileage car). So it takes me another month or so and I have a green '02 SE sitting in my driveway. This fills my needs for donut capability for the time being but I (and my wife) am concerned about my fun money spending rate. Its about now, or actually a little earlier that I decide to sell the project because I NEEDED a miata again. No-one buys my project, even for what I thought was a pretty decent price, so I get over feeling guilty about $ and just try to go with a more budget (relatively speaking) build. Here is a picture of what the frame looks like with the rear subframe tucked up behind it. I put it on the table myself, and I think it took me the better part of the afternoon to get it up there. I really just like being out in the shop whether I make much progress or not.
Sam

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 12:24 am 

Nice start. Does that s2000 motor fit in a book frame? I seem to remember it being quite physically large and tall.

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 6:20 am 

It seems to fit fine, it is kind of tall, but I don't have any reference to how a "normal" engine fits. I think there was a side picture of a miata engine and the s2k posted by brianGT a while back that showed them very similar in size. The transmission is much larger, its wider, and taller. so I will have to widen the tunnel, and adjust the crosmember that's supposed to go straight across the top of the tranny at the firewall. I hope it still works OK with the nosecone. I haven't gotten one yet, and I don't know for sure whether to go with a "normal" one or a TTL. I thikn I like the proportions of the normal better, but we'll see what it takes to fit. I'll put some pictures of the engine in the frame up when I get a chance.
Sam

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:26 am 

good to see someone with the sam locost, miata, S2k habit. check my build pics I had to drop the miata motor by 2" and rasie the nose by 1" to fit it with the non TTL nose (and it just fits). I am betting that the motor will hit the hood when it moves. Also the miata trans takes up most of the pedal room (very tight).

Good luck and keep posting should be very fast with the S2K drive train. :)

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 9:01 am 

Here are a couple of pictures of the rear tacked onto the frame and braced up some. I'll post some closer pics of how it is attached, so you can let me know what you think. The engine is sitting pretty much where I expect it to go, but I haven't welded the engine mounts down yet. I am using the stock mounts bolted to tubing, which will be welded to the frame. I think it will be strong enough, but the stock mounts may let the motor move around too much, so I might have to make up something stiffer. What you can see from the pics I think is that I am able to use the stock driveshaft right where I want the rear to be and the shifter to be. I only had to move the engine around about an inch, and no cutting, welding, shortening, or $$ on the drive shaft. :) :)

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 9:19 am 

Well, I'm looking at what I just posted, and I guess you really can't see both ends of the driveshaft that well, but I am able to use the stock length driveshaft. I just set the engine, so half of the play in the driveshaft is used up when its just sitting there, if that makes sense. I can pull the CVs in or out about 1 in total on the driveshaft, so I set it in the middle. Here are a couple of closer pics of how I have the rear subframe attached to the back of the frame. Basically I have 3 places on each side. The front piece of the subframe itself sits on the back bar of the main frame. There is a bar from the top of the frame to the subframe at about 45deg, and there is one on the bottom of the subframe that goes out at an angle to the main frame. This lets the subframe go into the frame section a little, but should still be able to covered with a rear "firewall" pretty easily.
Let me know what you think. I will be adding more around where the subframe sits on the back frame rail, but I may add some more in if it looks like it needs it.
Sam

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 4:40 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Hey, nice to see your start, Sam! :-) I'm sure other s2000 fans will be watching with interest.

Xenia, huh? Not to far from Lexington! Come visit here and I'll spring for lunch...if I come there, you're buying. (Maybe we should brown-bag it in Cincy?)

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 5:12 pm 

S27sam wrote:
The front piece of the subframe itself sits on the back bar of the main frame.
Sam

Personally, from what I see, I would be trimming that forward subframe mount "arm" off flush with and at the same angle as the inside of the reab bulkhead. If you feel the need, then after the trim (maybe in conjunction with), brace or box up that forward mount. Then you won't be having to "work around" in order to sheet the inside of the bulkhead. After all, it doesn't look to me like the subframe will ever be going back into an S2000, leastwise not that one.

Mikey Bynum

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 9:43 pm 

Hi Dave, I've got inlaws in Lexington, so I'm sure I'll be down eventually, but there's a good Mexican restaurant here in town if you do come up! I'd love to come check out your car.
Thanks,
Sam

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 9:46 pm 

I'm not against cutting off the front arms of the subframe, but they are at the bottom where it won't look too bad if I just skin around them if they are a significant portion of my structural attachment. I'm a little more worried about the center portion of the subframe intruding a little bit, but I'll worry about that when I get there. I don't have my pedals yet, but it looks like I'll have to move the seat forward a little just to fit, so space wise it shouldn't be a problem.
I appreciate the ideas and comments.
Thanks,
Sam