LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 12:52 pm 

Yeah, a slightly sad story. We blew the $2007 dollar budget through casual dismantling (driving the tie rod ends ot by hammering on the threads, for example) and lost components (biggest one was when the instructor decided the chassis should go to the crusher--goodbye brake lines, wiper motors, and a rear clip that was going to recover the $200 car value for me). I learned a lot, and so did a couple of the kids, but for now I'm scrounging cheap replacements for damaged/missing parts. If successful this may turn into a GRM 2008 Challenge car, if not I'll just make it into a driver and not be so anal about the budget.

Right now I'm leaning toward starting the guys in class fresh with the Corrode Warrior (see Worst Donor Ever thread in the Donor forum), and having the guys who are interested make a few bucks on Saturdays finish this one for me.

Re the plans, I want to see a finished car built here from my plans before I let them loose on the Locost world. But I gotta admit, it's a B-list project for me right now 'cause I'm deep in the 100mpg car development.

Worst donor ever/Corrode Warrior linky
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2731

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 2:11 pm 

who was the instructor and why did it go to the crusher. That thing look awesome!! This is a crime!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 4:23 pm 

Wow, that's a shame. That instructor must have not had his heart in the project, or just wanted to see it gone from his shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 4:31 pm 

Ram- I dont think the locost chassis went to the crusher. The donor did, before it had been full stripped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 6:18 pm 

mcfandango wrote:
Ram- I dont think the locost chassis went to the crusher. The donor did, before it had been full stripped.

Roger that. Only the donor got crushed, but it got crushed without warning me and with the knowledge that I had a buyer for the stern...and though it was pretty well stripped, it wasn't completely stripped so there are components that must be purchased that would otherwise have been free. It's only a setback from the $2007 budget standpoint, but man, it isn't easy to qualify for that GRM Challenge.

I think the core problem was the instructor and I had different visions, starting with different visions of who got to have the car after it was done. In a classroom, like in a business, culture comes from the top down, and his attitude may have guided the attitudes of some of the students on the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 7:16 pm 

whew :yay:

I darn near had a stroke...... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29, 2007, 5:09 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Re the plans, I want to see a finished car built here from my plans before I let them loose on the Locost world. But I gotta admit, it's a B-list project for me right now 'cause I'm deep in the 100mpg car development
I know it is a B-List project, but I thought I would check to see if it had made any movement.

Post subject: Re: "Study Haul" 2k7
PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 2:10 pm 

Hey Jack,

I came across this thread from your links on http://www.kineticvehicles.com/advice.html I'm a lurker here just waiting for a time when I have the time, space, and money to build my own locust based car. in the mean time, just gathering lots of info.

One thing here that caught my eye was the upper rear shock mount on this build. By chance, do you have the measurements/drawings for it? My build, at least so far in my head, is also Miata based and something like that would make it so much easier.

PostPosted: May 16, 2009, 11:12 pm 

I'm a little scarce here on the forum these days, too much going on, I'll be back at the keyboard soon...but yes I do have the drawings, in fact I have the CNC code to laser cut them. I have everything but a completed test program or I'd be selling them today.

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 12:11 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
I'm a little scarce here on the forum these days, too much going on, I'll be back at the keyboard soon...but yes I do have the drawings, in fact I have the CNC code to laser cut them. I have everything but a completed test program or I'd be selling them today.

Too bad I have my metal..... But I do Like that lay out