LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: April 7, 2022, 8:45 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Are you sure the fenders you bought originally were sourced from Jack?
Maybe Jack sent a regular fender by mistake instead of the wider version.

I probably would bolt it on, support the outer lip with a saw horse and wood, have a flood light under the bowl, then add a weight on top. Make sure it doesn't get too hot with proximity of the flood lamp. Measure the bowl depth when you start to gauge progress and check twice a day.

Another alternative is to buy the other side so they match, then space away from the body as needed.
Sell the first two fenders.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 7, 2022, 9:19 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Are you sure the fenders you bought originally were sourced from Jack?
Maybe Jack sent a regular fender by mistake instead of the wider version.

I probably would bolt it on, support the outer lip with a saw horse and wood, have a flood light under the bowl, then add a weight on top. Make sure it doesn't get too hot with proximity of the flood lamp. Measure the bowl depth when you start to gauge progress and check twice a day.

Another alternative is to buy the other side so they match, then space away from the body as needed.
Sell the first two fenders.

I did ask Jack to make sure he had sent the wider fender. It is very strange that the fender flattened out that much. WIlliam had said that they had set in a backyard storage shed for several years without being even fully unwrapped.

I had also thought about getting a replacement fender for the rt side and inserting a spacer as well.

As far as the flattening of the left fender, I could try laying it on its back and using a series of "spreaders" with heat lamps to see if it would uncurl enough to meet my needs.

The last option would be to abandon the clamshell fenders and use the steel motorcycle style front fenders that came with the frame. But it seems that everyone has noted that the amount of road debris that bounces into the car makes that not a pleasant experience.

PostPosted: April 7, 2022, 10:54 am 

So, I went online to see what has been done with fiberglass car bodies to get panels to fit better. It appears the magic temp for a panel to be able to be reshaped is above 150 degrees. I can see how a fender in an outdoor shed in Florida in the summer could easily reach that. And if it had other items piled on top of it for some weight, it would start to reform its curvature!

It looks like using a heat gun and a surface temp monitor people have heated panels to 150 degrees F and applied pressure to reshape it. The heat is applied to the mat side of the panels. It can be bent and shaped somewhat. But it does tend to have a "memory" to the original form. I think I can, as I mentioned before, turn the fender, bottom side up, strap it down with ratchet straps and some 2 X 4s. Then heat it up again to flatten it more, tighten the straps a bit more and heat it again. Once I reach the general needed size or shape (actually a bit beyond due to its memory) I let it slowly cool down before releasing the pressure.

I will need to go in stages it appears to get the final dimension I need. I will go to HF to get a heat gun and see how it turns out.

Will keep you posted.

PostPosted: April 20, 2022, 7:59 am 

So, my shocks came from Jack! Excited to get them! But they will have to wait a bit before I can get them installed.
Attachment:
RR Shock.jpg

Attachment:
Frt Shock.jpg

I am trying to finish the sheetrock in the (small) basement I have been using for a workshop. The previous homeowner had started to finish it, but I think did not know how to work around getting the plumbing hanging down boxed in. They had even left enough new sheetrock to cover it all. I should get it finished by the weekend.

Then I move my shop equipment out into the garage to make way for the basement to be set up as an exercise room.

I think completing this is "exercise" enough! :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 20, 2022, 8:03 pm 

Was that some drool on the coilover box I seen in the second pic?
Just kidding, nice :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 26, 2022, 5:11 pm 

Lots going on right now. But not much directly on the Locost.

I finally got the basement cleaned out and semi-finished. Just in time to list the house for sale. We had a couple of long talks, and my wife has decided to retire! And we will be headed back to our house in Wisconsin. So, once the house is sold, I will be renting a car trailer and dragging it back there to finish. I hate to have to rent a car trailer ($600- one way) and tow it at the cost of fuel right now. I will have to drive my SUV out (ouch), load the rented trailer and drive it back (ouch again). The good part of it is I have a much larger space and more tools there in my shop than here.

In the meantime, I "test fit" the front & rear shocks. They fit! Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut! Will need to change out the upper bolt (temp some threaded rod right now) and add spacers top and bottom so as not to cause binding or misalignment.
Attachment:
Frt Shock test fit.jpg

Also, my badges from ebay finally arrived! They were coming from Malysia. Very nice quality and "as advertised".
It was just held up with masking tape for a shot. Will have to, of course, wait until I finish the fiberglass and paint it of course.
Attachment:
Lotus nose badge.jpg

The valve cover had a large "MG" cast into the top. So, I JB welded the Lotus badge over it. I like it! Just did not seem right to see the MG logo there.

Will keep all posted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 14, 2022, 7:29 am 

Not a lot of progress on the car lately. We have been focused on getting the house ready for listing it for sale.

But as we move forward, I have been studying the approaches to transporting the Locost to Wisconsin. Since I do not have a vehicle here capable of towing it on a trailer, I would have to fly to Wisconsin, drive my SUV back (1100 miles-2 days), load up the Locost, and drive it back. I add up the cost and it comes to $1500 with the price of gas, meals, motel and rental of a trailer, one way.

Then I looked a renting a truck, one way, taking the car apart (have to do that yet to paint the frame) and loading it up and driving it back. That comes in at $1600.

Next, I looked at having the car shipped out by a carrier. The quotes are coming in at $1775, all three quotes within one dollar of each other.

With the costs of fuel, the cost to shipping the car is really killing the "Locost" theme here!

PostPosted: May 14, 2022, 10:57 am 

Those prices are surprising. However, given my last tank of regular gas just cost me $104.68 that's not too surprising. I wish I had a clever solution for you, but it looks like you've explored all the realistic ones already. If I had to choose myself, I'd vote for renting a truck (a one way drive) and looking to save some moving expense money by filling the rest of the rented truck with stuff you have to move anyway.

Is your move to Wisconsin permanent?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 14, 2022, 5:34 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Regarding fiberglass reforming at high temperature, yes it's a thing. I used to work around composite aircraft and if the composite got exposed to temperatures higher than the original cure temperature, under a constant load it could soften and slowly deform. It's one reason why composite aircraft are painting light colors.

PostPosted: May 14, 2022, 8:33 pm 

This is a long shot but is there a company that needs a box truck driven to the Wisconsin/Minnesota area?

PostPosted: May 15, 2022, 7:23 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Is your move to Wisconsin permanent?

Cheers,

It is a "permanent" move. We had a summer home there when we lived in Chicago. Converted that home to a more permanent home expecting to retire 5 yrs ago. Instead, my wife took a transfer to Boston. So, we sold Chicago and transferred.

I did consider renting a larger truck and moving everything myself at once. We could do the packing, hire a crew to load the truck, and we drive it back. Hire a crew to unload it at the other end. But this will be my 37th personal move, and it looks like with the profit we made on hte sale of thr house in Boston, my wife decided we earned professional movers. I have a mover coming this week and it looks like they can put the Locost right into the van and it will complete a load. I will have to see where the total cost comes out.

Thanks for the feedback on the fiberglass! Having been in the composite aircraft industry, you might know my ex-brother-in-law, Mike Dilley. He was the construction manager for the Voyager, and owned a company in Ukiah, CA call Featherlight. He made custom props, and a lot of the pieces for the Varieasy and Longeasy as well as custom composites for other planes.

The cost of fuel and lack of truckers has really impacted the cost of shipping anything! We'll see where this all comes out

PostPosted: May 21, 2022, 6:57 pm 

Well, after much research and soul searching, I am listing my project up for sale. Trying to relocate it to the mid-west in the time left (our house sold) the cost is enough to make a grown man cry :(

Here is where I am with it:
442 style chassis made from round hardened chrome moly tubing TIG welded.
Mustang II LCA tubular arms, spindles, brakes and swaged uppers (all new)
Mustang 8.8 rear posi 4:10 end w/Moser axles new drum brakes
New aluminum rad & electric fan from Honda Civic
Kirkey seats
1974 MGB fresh rebuilt motor w/9.5 compression (30 over). Road cam, new valve & guides
New clutch
resurfaced flywheel
4 sp MGB trans
Toyo HP tires, 5 new alum wheels
New clutch, resurfaced flywheel
All gauges
New Triumph TR4 wiring harness
used 4 point harnesses
Lights & switches
Wilwood flr mounted pedals & master cylinders
MGB exhaust w/stainless muffler
GAZ coilovers
RCI alum 15 gal fuel tank
Holley fuel pump
All hard & soft brake lines

Attachment:
May 2022 pic1.jpg

Attachment:
May 2022 pic2.jpg

Attachment:
May 2022 pic3.jpg

Attachment:
May 2022 pic4.jpg

Attachment:
May 2022 pic5.jpg

I have receipts and records for all material & components, well in excess of my asking price. I test fit the car togther as seen. I would suggest it be torn back apart and frame painted after final welding of front suspension attachment points.
Asking $7,500. If not sold in next couple of weeks, I will have to store it and figure out what to do next. :BH:

In Melrose, MA

PostPosted: May 22, 2022, 9:50 am 

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear you must sell at this late stage. Good luck with the sale. If you end up storing it, fuel prices may come down from the stratosphere later in the year, and maybe make moving it more attractive.

Regards,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 23, 2022, 2:56 pm 

Hesitate to do this, because in the past I've been burned some, but I have been involved with transporting stuff cross country with Grassroots Motorsports relays. It's good to help people out,

I live in Orange County CA- on or about June 8 I will be driving a mostly empty 5 x 10' trailer with a 30" high box to Kankakee arriving there or about 16 June- Then continuing on Detroit area on 20 June or so. I these dates would work for you, I could transport for some help with gas. Where in Wisconsin? Wouldn't have alot of time to kill unloading, I am running a timeline.

If interested, e-mail at galanf@juno.com

PostPosted: May 24, 2022, 7:54 am 

twentyover wrote:
Hesitate to do this, because in the past I've been burned some, but I have been involved with transporting stuff cross country with Grassroots Motorsports relays. It's good to help people out,

I live in Orange County CA- on or about June 8 I will be driving a mostly empty 5 x 10' trailer with a 30" high box to Kankakee arriving there or about 16 June- Then continuing on Detroit area on 20 June or so. I these dates would work for you, I could transport for some help with gas. Where in Wisconsin? Wouldn't have alot of time to kill unloading, I am running a timeline.

If interested, e-mail at galanf@juno.com

I did email you. Not sure if you know that the car is in Boston (700 miles away from Detroit) and I'm trying to get it to Lake Geneva, WI, about 80 miles north of Chicago (45 miles west of Milwaukee).

Still, a very generous offer! And I would more than help out with gas costs!

Thom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next