LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24, 2008, 12:17 am 
Hack

Holy frijoles! That engine looks boss! I'm digging those fat headers too!

Videos would be most excelent.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 25, 2008, 8:26 pm 

I plan to bring this car to the Mad Dog & Englishmen British car show at the Gilmour Car Mueseum on 7/13/08 - weather permitting. The Museum is located in Hickory Corners, Michigan. Any other LoCost'ers planning to come to the show?

Post subject: Hickory Corner
PostPosted: June 26, 2008, 1:31 pm 

Jim

I did a search and it is only about 2 hours away for me. 350 English cars sounds like a really nice show. Depending on the deck building project, I may try to attend on the 13th.

Will have to polish my wheels. Dave W

Post subject: British Car Show
PostPosted: June 26, 2008, 7:59 pm 

Dave:

If you come, be sure to introduce yourself.

Thanks,

Jim Szilagyi

PostPosted: January 3, 2010, 6:04 pm 

I have moved to the Columbus OH area for work. Is there any LoCost clubs or other builders in this area?

Thanks,

Jim

PostPosted: January 21, 2011, 3:34 pm 

jrs7s wrote:
I can send you a copy of the instruction sheet w/ a suggested bill of material for parts - I need your e-mail or mailing address.

Thanks for the interest.

Hi Jim,

If you're still around to read these posts, I would love to receive a copy of the instruction sheet and suggested parts list.

Thank you,
Larry
rokketride@yahoo.com

(yes, I joined this forum to write this message)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: February 18, 2011, 1:14 am 

jrs7s wrote:
The frame is painted with silver paint. I wish I had used powder coating instead, since it is already starting to get a few small rust marks in some areas on the frame.

This engine is half of a Chrysler/Mopar 340 engine, and is a pushrod style engine. I have tried both the 350 CFM and 500 CFM Holley 2 barrel carbs (non progressive style), and I think the 500 CFM is a little better with this engine.

Thanks, Jim

Just an FYI Holly measures the flow of it's 2bbl carbs at twice the vacume drop that it uses on it's 4bbl carbs. What this means is that to compare the two different carbs you 1/2 the 2bbl flow to get the equal of the 4bbl or double 4bbl to the equvalen in a 2bbl. A 500cfm 2bbl actually flows 1/2 that of a 500cfm 4bbl.

94% of Americans say "OH SH=T!" as they dive into a foxhole the other 6% are from Texas and say "Here HOLD my beer and watch th

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

PostPosted: June 27, 2013, 8:16 pm 

I did an engine change in this car. I installed a Toyota 4AGE w/ a fabricated intake manifold & EFI. I just got this combination running & it uses the following parts:
1.6L 4AGE Toyota - 1987 Big Port
Fabricated Tubular Individual Runner Intake Manifold
Suzuki GSXR600 Throttle Bodies
MSD Programmable 6530 Ignition Box - Using Stock 4AGE Distributor
FAST Self Tuning EFI Retro Fit Kit # 302000 & GM TBI Sensors
Fabricated IAC Block w/ Hoses to each Runner on the Intake Manifold
Fabricated Header 1-1/2" Primary Tubes

PostPosted: June 27, 2013, 8:20 pm 

Here are some photos:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 27, 2013, 8:39 pm 

I went with the self tuning ECU for the EFI since I don't think I am good enough w/ electronics to build the megasquirt setup. I hope the self tuning ECU will help with tuning this engine since it learns to tune itself as you drive it. Maybe this will help in tuning w/o the TVIS valve that blocks off 1/2 the airflow below 4,000 RPM. I can add the TVIS back to the engine if needed, but will try it without first. The EFI retrofit system is not very expensive at $891 w/ the ECU, Software, Wiring Harness (I used the wiring for one bank of V8 injectors & no modifications), wide band O2, and Handheld Controller. I also bought the FAST GM TBI sensors that are recommended w/ this kit (MAP, IAC, Coolant Temp, and Air Charge Temp).

I used the MSD 6530 programmable ignition box since it can be triggered w/ the stock distributor & magnetic pickup. this ignition has a programmable advance curve and can also be used with the MAP sensor if needed (I have not tried this yet). The ignition is a separate system from the fuel injection (the only interconnection is the RPM signal wire to the ECU). This setup is simpler since I can use the stock distributor and don't need to fabricate a crank sensor wheel.

The following parts are stock 4AGE:
Engine
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Rail

PostPosted: May 3, 2014, 12:10 pm 

I just learned that there will be a car show in London, OH that is open to replicas and hand built cars on the weekend of 6/20 - 6/22 2014. I am planning to bring my car to the show. Is anyone else in then area going to attend?

London Turn-Key Nationals

June 20-22, 2014 9am-5pm

The London Turn-key Nationals is open to all makes and models of replica automobiles, rat rods, roadster Model A and T, and other hand-built automobiles. This Years Featured Speaker is Peter Brock Special paddock area open for Corvettes, Datsun, & Daytona Coupes in honor of Peter Brock

When: June 20-22, 2014 9am-5pm

Madison County Fairgrounds 205 Elm Street
London OH, 43140

Cost: $35 per car

To Register: Click here for more information or call Bill Dyer at 6143480689
http://www.turnkeynationals.com/

PostPosted: May 4, 2014, 8:42 am 

Jim
I'm late to the game on this. My big port 4AGE does not have the TVIS system, and my intake and exhaust systems are not close to what you have, But setting the intake cam at 108* LCA made a big improvement in the power band. Exhaust set at 110*. Dave W

PostPosted: May 6, 2014, 9:59 pm 

Hi Dave. We met a few years ago at the British car show at the Gilmour Museum in Michigan.

I will try some cam timing changes as you suggest. The power band has been fine from 2,000 RPM & up to the redline w/ this induction & exhaust system. I made the intake runners pretty long to help torque and also made the exhaust primary tubes pretty long to help with lower RPM torque. The throttle bodies are also pretty small at about 38mm, and I think this helps torque.

The engine doesn't want to run as well at a steady state from about 1,000 RPM to 2,000 RPM - the power is fine but It just accelerates up to 2,000 RPM. This makes it tough to get the ECU to learn the fuel requirements at this RPM since you need to drive at a steady state for it to learn & update the calibration as you drive. I plan to try some changes to the ignition advance curve in this RPM range too.

I can't say enough good things about the EZ-EFI retrofit system. You can watch all of the sensors on the handheld controller as you drive (Air Fuel Ratio, IAC, Coolant Temp, MAP, + more). This system was very easy to install & get it up & running. I was able to reuse the stock fuel injectors, fuel rail, and fuel pressure regulator).

Have you made many changes to your car since we met a few years ago? If so, what changes have you made?

Jim

PostPosted: May 7, 2014, 12:03 am 

Hi Jim,

Wondering why you changed from the Mopar to the 4AGE and can you tell us the actual driving differences between the 2 please?

Was there much vibration with the 2.8 litre Mopar?

I don't suppose by some small chance you know the true weight of the Mopar?

PostPosted: May 7, 2014, 8:50 am 

Jim
I think that big four troque has corrupted your thinking. These 4AGEs are guttest at low revs. I can only motor long slightly less the 2000 RPM myself. You might want to try advancing the timing. I have 20* advance [ W/O the shunt jumper ] @ 1000 and my CR is 10.1, with no signs of detentation.

Yup I recall Gilmore, and I see the other Dave from Ann Arbor occasionally with his Rush running out and about in the area. Dave W

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next