LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7, 2008, 1:23 pm 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

Well, I've gotten some work done on the car recently, despite the nasty weather we've been having here. My main focus is still on dialing-in the rear suspension, which has been going well.

My main focus, over the months too cold to be out in my garage, has been developing a new website, with lots of detail and some neat features such as video build log entries. Everything's up and running, as well as completely up to date @

LINK

I will try to post here every time I update my website, but check back as often as you'd like. The build log is where most of the work happens. I'd also like your opinions on the layout and content of the website, you can either leave me a comment there or post it here if you'd prefer.

Thanks for looking.

*Make way for the luckEseven!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21, 2008, 1:56 pm 

Awesome looking build, keep up the good work!

Quick question about your seats/tranny tunnel and whatnot. I'm doing a miata build and would like to do a book-sized frame, but also want slightly larger seats than what I really need for myself, so that I can show off the car to family/friends easily.

How wide is your transmission tunnel? Also, how far offset to the passenger side is it? I figure the miata tranny/driveshaft/diff and rx-7 setup are pretty similar.. I'm trying to figure out how wide of Kirkey drag seats I can get.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2008, 3:09 am 

The driver's side wasn't the problem, as far as fitting a 15 or 16" seat. The problem was how far offset the diff input flange is, I don't know if it's any further offset than the miata, though my guess is that it is. I'm sure Chet could answer that, as he's had both (prolly still does)

With a book chassis and RX7 diff, you could BARELY fit a 14" seat, let alone a 15+. You'd need to widen the passenger compartment like I detailed on my website. Like I said, the trans tunnel was not the limiting factor in my case, but the diff input flange itself.

Hope that anwered your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2008, 9:59 am 

Just a word about your video to say that it's great that you took time to do it. Thank you!

-S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2008, 10:08 am 

On my book frame it is 17 1/4 from tube to tube on the drivers side and 16 1/8" on the passenger side. The offset is very similar if not identical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2008, 10:15 am 

I could fit a 16.5" seat for the driver and 15.5" for the passenger on a book chassis with Miata diff so Chet and I are pretty similar. Using 15.5" for both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2008, 10:24 am 

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29, 2008, 2:36 pm 

your project is looking really good. i cant wait to see it at auto-x.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2008, 2:54 am 

Me Neither!!!

Though I highly doubt it'll be out this season...

More small updates, mainly just parts received and small rear suspension progress. As usual, check out the website, specifically the "Build Log" link at the top of the website for the most recent content. Then if you need more, you can always read the descriptions of the build photo album, which is also regularly updated.

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12, 2008, 2:46 am 

any updates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 1:14 pm 

Back from the dead.

I recently quit my part-time job that has plagued my free time (and locost build) and have begun making progress again. It's been so long since I've been able to dedicate any time out in the garage, not to mention that my ability to work heavily depends on the weather, as my garage is not at all insulated or heated/cooled. Not to mention we lost power for a week when the snow/ice storms rolled through here last week!

But I'm happy to report that I'm back working on it again. I haven't reached any major milestone or anything, I just wanted to keep you guys in the loop. I can't tell you how good it feels to be back at it! Well, onto the updates.

I've continued work on the rear subframe/trunk area, making shock towers out of 1x2, which will also serve as roll bar mounts. I've also scrapped the diff mounts for some beefier material, which will also strengthen the rear upper control arm mounting points, so I feel better about the whole situation out back.

Once I made the shock towers, I could finally join the back section to the shock tower, and install the bottom trunk tubing I fabbed a while back. It was good motivation to throw a fender on and finally see what the trunk area will look like, since it is pretty much framed in now. I also plan to install a small hitch receiver in the bottom section of the trunk to accept either a spare tire carrier or a tire trailer. There's TONS of room below the gas tank, I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet. Possibly room for another muffler???

I got some 1/8" thick aluminum strips for gas tank straps, precut to my specified width. Once I am finished with the subframe I can fabricate a shield (or tray, whatever you wanna call it) from some 20 gage steel I purchased a while back.

I also picked-up some more a-arm tubing, as well as material to make 2 different size camber shims, again precut to my specified width, I just need to cut to length and add some slots.

I also came upon a Caterham with a paint scheme I've fallen in love with. I may just copy this (minus the "Caterham" script on the side) when it comes time to decide on my color scheme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 8:16 pm 

Awesome to see progress again Emile!

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 9:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

You could always just drop the gas tank to the bottom which would give you a better cg or weight distribution, the floor above the tank and have a carry space or a trunk.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 12:24 pm 
Weight watcher

Good to see you back at it Emile, keep it up!

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: February 5, 2009, 9:25 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Looking great, Emile! I sure understand the glow of garage time after a leave of absence. I'll have to get up your way soon and see it in person!

Where do you get your aluminum? I'm trying to find 3003 H14 (half-hard) sheet, and can't get it in Lexington. Shipping a 4'x8' sheet from Aircraft Spruce costs more than the metal, so I'm thinking of driving up to Cincy or Louisville.

Keep at it,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next