LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 50  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 3:10 pm 

I don't remember, I'll have to throw my nifto 4-bar protractor on it when I get back home. I was fairly un-scientific about it. I Just dropped the engine in where I wanted it, made sure the head-gasket line was horizontal and the crankshaft cL was parallel to the chassis cL then matched my mounts to where the rubber isolator blocks were.

I'll PM you and let you know.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 6:20 pm 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

rust_bucket wrote:

Taps on order,
Bungs and more rod ends on order,
Found a local guy with a bender for the roll bar,
shopping for gas tank
shopping for exhaust goodies

Movin' forward!!!

You forgot...

-Found someone to trade me rear fenders to correct Coveland's FAILURE.

PS- They go out today, sorry about the minor delay (Life, work, etc...)! You'll get an email later with the tracking number once my boss text's it to me. Thanks again!

*Make way for the luckEseven!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 10:52 pm 

OH YAH, Forgot to post about that. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Thanks Emile!

(Just to make sure we're on the same page, you're sending "ONE" passenger side fender to me right??? By saying "they go out today" you mean it goes out today right?
I sent "ONE" Driver side fender to you FedEx ground on Monday.
If you send two or I send two we just trade who has the two lefts or two rights right? Right. :)

Man, write the word 'right' enough times and it just starts to look funny. :)

Anyway, Yes, to all those locosters who are trying to select from whom you buy fiberglass: "Buy from Coveland at your own risk." You may just have to spend another $50 in shipping to send your duplicate driver side fender from UT to KY, while the other guy who has duplicate passenger side fenders sends his from KY to UT. ALL BECASE COVELAND WON'T RETURN DOZENS OF EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS. ONCE YOUR CARD GOES THROUGH, JIM DOES NOT CARE!
A big ol' pain in the neck.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

Last edited by rust_bucket on April 25, 2008, 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Headlights!
PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 10:56 pm 

Not bad Eh?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 11:00 pm 

Whoa. Those look nice. Makes me almost regret buying the black ones. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 11:14 pm 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

:lol: Oh yeah, sorry 'bout the typo. Yeah, I only sent out ONE right-hand fender...

Ditto on the Coveland flame, they are the epitome of horrible customer service and what KB58 accurately describes as "criminally lazy."

I swear to never buy anything else from them, and I apologize for not giving good companies (like Kinetic) my business. I won't make that mistake again.

Sorry to hijack your thread Nick, keep up the good work!

*Make way for the luckEseven!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25, 2008, 9:47 am 

Those headlamps look great! I assume that the Speedway Motors price ($49.99 for regular lamp) is for a pair, correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25, 2008, 12:14 pm 

Yes, it's for a pair. I debated whether or not to go with the halogens. I figured the standard bulbs was a good place to start.

Also, sorry Winston, I forgot to measure the engine mounts last night. I'll try to do it this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25, 2008, 1:14 pm 

If I recall, the miata motor mounts are at a 55 degree angle (might be off a few degrees here, its from memory). The mounts I got from Coveland matched that. Stock rubber mounts on the miata are pretty soft. They could probably deal with quite a bit of slop there. I know mine compressed quite a bit at an odd angle (lost one of my Coveland mounts and had to jury rig something to hold the engine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25, 2008, 1:32 pm 

rust_bucket wrote:
Yes, it's for a pair. I debated whether or not to go with the halogens. I figured the standard bulbs was a good place to start.

Also, sorry Winston, I forgot to measure the engine mounts last night. I'll try to do it this weekend.

Thanks for the info. I'm picking the standard bulbs too because (a) they're cheaper, (b) I can always retrofit halogens, and (c) I doubt that I will be driving much at night, if at all. Also, halogens place extra demand on the electrical system and I don't want to have to modify anything that I don't have to at this stage.

No problem on the measurement, just whenever you get a chance. My goal is to trial fit the engine this weekend.

mcfandango wrote:
If I recall, the miata motor mounts are at a 55 degree angle (might be off a few degrees here, its from memory). The mounts I got from Coveland matched that. Stock rubber mounts on the miata are pretty soft. They could probably deal with quite a bit of slop there. I know mine compressed quite a bit at an odd angle (lost one of my Coveland mounts and had to jury rig something to hold the engine).

~55 degrees from horizontal or vertical?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25, 2008, 3:04 pm 

Winston wrote:
Those headlamps look great! I assume that the Speedway Motors price ($49.99 for regular lamp) is for a pair, correct?

I got the halogens and they have a really nice really bright beam pattern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25, 2008, 3:22 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
Winston wrote:

I got the halogens and they have a really nice really bright beam pattern.

Stop tempting me ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26, 2008, 5:20 pm 

I did some rough measurements with an angle finder on the stock Miata mounts as they sit on the engine, and the angle appears to be 58 degrees from horizonal (32 degrees from vertical) on each side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27, 2008, 1:43 am 

Winston, I've got an engine-less Miata in the garage right now. I'll be home Monday evening if you want to measure anything.

JRM

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 1:20 am 

Got the nose cone mounted via the dzus fastners. Slick I say.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 50  Next