LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 9:45 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Where does your head end up relative to the headrest?

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 10:07 pm 

The headrests have 2 tubes six inches apart and about 8 inches long that are .40 in diameter. I have some steel tubing that has an interior diameter of .40 as well.
My intention is to attach the steel tubing permanently to the back of the seat and insert the headrests into the steel tubes.
I will use a lock collar or some other device to be able to adjust the headrests to the height needed.
This will be required more for the passenger side than the driver as I will probably be the only driver while I will have various passengers of different heights (all the grandkids are already lining up).
Considering who is lining up if there is any concerns on the safety at all of the headrests then I will look for alternatives that are better and stronger.

Al

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 12:09 pm 
-the man.

Al,

Looks like I'm mirroring you again....A friend told me yesterday that he is parting out his daughters Kia Sportage. Since Kias and Hyundais are about the same I was going to grab the radiator. I saw in a post on radiators that you are using a Hyundai. Which Hyundai? How is the size? The guy is 100 miles away and I won't be able to measure his so I'm doing research.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 1:02 pm 

I dont think it will be the same radiator as I believe the only other place the radiator was used was in one model of a Mitsubishi product.
The Hyundai Excel rad is from an 1986/87 model.
I would do a google serach or EBay search for the Kia rad to see if you can find out the overall dimensions.
At this point I located a good Excel rad, but so far I haven't installed one as I would need to buy a small fan for it and I still have a 2800 cfm thermo adj puller fan with a rubberized bakelight shroud that I am finding a hard time to let go of.
As a result I still have a bit of a search on to see if there might not be a more ideal rad so that I can use my existing fan.
Al

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 2:58 pm 

I've installed a Hyundai Excel rad in my Lotus Alfa/7 project car. I dont know the year.
I believe the Excels were 1.6 liter engines.
The Alfa/7 is 2 liter but less than half the weight of the donor vehicle.
Overall width is 20" (with rubber grommet mounting holes) Rad body is 16" wide.
Max height to top of pressure cap is 17".
Rad body thickness is 2 1/4"
Front of rad to total fan depth is 7".
I paid $60.00 at local wreckers.
Hope this helps.
regards, Wilf

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 5:08 pm 
-the man.

It looks like the Civic radiator off of ebay is hard to beat if you didn't have to pay shipping.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 8:04 pm 

Go-Parts has brand new Hyundai Excel radiators made in Taiwan for 74 bucks plus shipping in case you wish to compare.
Al

http://www.go-part.com/hyundai-excel-c- ... ?year=1987

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 6:41 pm 

I should post some more photos of my build, but nothing really exciting is going on, just sort of putting it all back together.
I did put together a new build stand a while back so I am off the table so to speak.
I have a half dozen chassis stands I collected over the years, so I used them for my new car table, though I guess table is not really a correct description.
It works very well, the plus side being it is height adjustable with the stands, which makes it easy on my ancient back as well as it will be easy to put it all on the ground when I want to.
I do have to watch though with the 6 inch wheels I can give it a little push and when it starts to move it wants to keep going.
It is very stable and takes the weight much better than my old table.
Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 7:48 pm 

Very cool stand, Al. Really clever...

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 2:45 pm 

I thought I would post a photo of how the 3.4 V6 sits in the engine bay with a picture of Jacks new Haynes nosecone.
Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 6:21 pm 

I like the dolly. I was thinking of making one but I never came up with a design like that. I'm probably close ennough to the end (does it ever end?) that I won't make one now. On the other hand the car's sitting on 4 jack stands now and even after it's done it would make it easier to move it sideways etc. for storage.

Ron

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 7:29 pm 

Princess Auto has individual dollies. A buddy stores his Miata on a set - they work and they're cheap.

G

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 8:28 pm 

Actually KMS's regular price was cheaper than Princess Auto's sale price when I looked a couple of weeks ago in Langley.
The dollies are great if the car is already done, I just needed to save my back with some adjustability as I am porobably older than you guys, wait, what do I mean 'probably' :cry:
Al

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 12:35 am 

The ability to get the car up higher to work on is one of the features I like about your design. But what I really like is the fact that when you don't need it the jack stands can be stored out of the way or just used as jack stands and the relatively low dolly can be stored on edge out of the way.

Any design I thought of that would hold the car up in air was so bulky that I didn't go ahead with it because my space is at a premium and it'd be in the way when it wasn't needed. Your design solves that problem.

You were only part right with your "probably" comment. Greg is the only young guy is this crowd, I'm almost eligible for seniors discounts. Too bad they don't give seniors discounts for car parts.

Ron

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 12:16 pm 

I mulled around for awhile over what to build for a new stand and I had all sorts of exotic ideas using bottle jacks and maybe trailer tongue jacks and such, but in the end it came down to something simple without having to spend to much on materials.
I had a half a dozen or so stands I collected over the years and the heavy duty 6 inch wheels, so in the end it was the cheapest way to go.
The two support tubes are just ties and are not a structural part, they are plenty strong enough as long as any weight is distributed on the four corner stands.
The other thing is it probably could be made adjustable length wise by making the two tubes into slip tubes, the other thing is to make sure the legs of the cherry picker will have enough clearence to slide under the stand.
I used cheap chain to secure the jack stands and drilled the mounting holes so the bolt would go in at a slight angle. That way the chain tighten up as I tightened the bolt.
So far it as worked well, is cheap and I am happy with it.

By the way Ron, if you grow a white beard, look a bit pathetic, sometimes you can get a break on car parts, especially if it is a younger woman selling them, it is like they feel sorry for as you remind them of their dad or something. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next