LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13, 2008, 8:40 pm 

I havn't done much updating on my builders log lately, so I figured I would add a few photos of what I am working on at the moment.
Basically I have mounted my seats, the passenger seat is a little more up right than the drivers as my wife didn't want it leaning back so much, it also is fixed in a position, the drivers seat is adjustable.
I have placed the foot pedals where I want them and they feel very comfortable, I have not permanently attached the gas pedal yet, will do that later.
I also figure I might cut 3/8 inch or so off the right edge of the brake pedal.
That will still leave plenty of surface for my size 8 booties.
I also found a set of headrests at the wreckers, so I have decided to attach them to the seats instead of the roll bar, they will be adjustable and have a sort of period look, at least in my mind.
I am also fabricating a roll bar, the hoop portion will have a cross bar for the shoulder belts and it will have 2 down down tubes going down to the outer corners at the back of the car.
I have tacked in the two non removable corner tubes, the rear down tubes will bolt to those and also the hoop will bolt to the back so that it is removable.
I am not building a track car so I am not going overboard on the roll bar setup for street use.
I also installed the fuel tank mounts, I used some 3/8 aluminum alloy rod I had laying around and just sort of made a battery clamp idea with a 1 inch plate running across each end.
Each day I get a little closer to painting the chassis, looking forward to that day.
Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15, 2008, 11:20 am 

raceral,
Looking good! You're making some great progress on the car. Can't wait to see more.

SamM

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15, 2008, 1:19 pm 

Love the seats!

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 12:10 am 

I haven't posted any photos for awhile on my build so I thought I would include a few of my spare tire carrier.
I still have to round off a few corners yet but basically it is complete.
I bolted it onto the bottom of the car using two 1 inch tubes, right now I am just using some hex head bolts, but will switch to some allen head or other kind that wont be so easy to remove unless you have the correct wrench.
I plan to put the licence plate onto the back as well as a couple of plate lights.
I have also made up another mount using 1 inch by 1/8inch strap, that way if I dont wish to carry the spare I can take the assembly off by unbolting 4 bolts and then re install the smaller plate that will just hold the licence plate.
I will have to get a couple of extra plate lights and make a disconnect plug for the wiring.
I probably will never swap them back and forth but just wanted the option.
The wheel is bolted onto the back through a wheel stud and a wheel lock, not that is the most secure arrangement, but it is good enough that I am not going to worry about it.
The wheel is roughly one inch away from the back of the car, so it shouldn't rub against the aluminum on the back, as well I should get a little bit more protection for the fuel tank having the spare as a buffer.
The tire in the picture is not the spare, as I am to cheap to spend a pile of money on a new tire, I will go to the wreckers and look for a used tire and mount it on the same style wheel in the photo.
It adds a little extra weight, but I am looking more for a sort of classic look on the street and the spare mounted on the back should help that illusion.
Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 4:25 pm 

Al,
Looks great! I'm planning pretty much the same type of carrier for my car. The Caterham has a tire carrier option and I'm going to copy their design. I'm also going to make a small luggage rack that fits over the tire. This small rack will carry a picnic basket for weekend getaways with the wife.

Do you have any pictures of the car with the wheels and tires on it yet? Can't wait to see more! :mrgreen:

SamM

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 1:13 am 

Thanks for the compliment. I dont have any photos at the moment as I have stripped the car back to the frame and am looking at prepping it for paint. It should go back together a little quicker the second time.
Al

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 11:20 pm 

I thought I would throw a few photos of the rear end going in, for whatever reason I seem to be always way behind with my photos.
Over summer I will try to catch up in posting my progress.
Al

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 11:41 pm 

Wow Al, that looks great! Which motor and trans. are you using?

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 12:27 pm 

Thanks for the compliment, I am going with a 3.4 GM V6 motor with a T5 transmission.
Al

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 1:09 pm 

That's what I assumed, but you know what they say about assuming...

Now, excuse the noob question, but I've wondered this about many builds, in this picture
download/file.php?id=7343

what is that black metal piece attached to the axle? I'm assuming its to attach and hold the axel to the frame or to mount a damper or something...but I've never had the guts to ask.

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 4:46 pm 

I understand there are no 'noob' questions on this forum, if there is I have done my fair share of them. :lol:
In the photo you attached, the long rectangular brackets at both ends of the axle hold one end of my trailing arms with the other end of the trailing arms attaching to the cars frame.
The small brackets the chains are attached to are for my shocks and the far right side trailing arm axle bracket has an additional position for my panhard rod.
The left side of the panhard attaches to my frame bracket shown in the photo just below the chain.

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 5:38 pm 
-the man.

Al,
Do you have a handle yet on routing of the serpentine belt? I've been looking at pictures of Stalkers trying to determine what they have done. It looks like they are mounting the alternator lower on the right side. I think the alt. mount is part of the idler and if thats the case I may pare that down a bit. I'm about to get my engine so I can work on it without geting nasty. That's going to be a major milestone.
I see you are making great progress. I'm hoping things here have loosened up so I can spend a little more time in the evenings.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 5:59 pm 

Dan
My 3.4 is a GM crate motor and is set up for a V belt system. The serpentine belt came along a bit later and the water pump turns opposite direction to the V belt.
You may have seen this link before but it does have a some interesting info.
Al

http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyoutoo ... 20swap.htm

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 10:33 pm 
-the man.

That's some good info. I pretty much have my engine clean. Tomorrow I'm going to chop the alternator pivot off of the idler and make the mounting brackets for moving the alt. lower.

I mounted the shifter from the Camaro onto my transmission today. I hope that 17 degree angle won't cause any negatives with the extension.

If you don't have the link to the Stalker Gallery here it is: http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gallery ... ?g2_page=1
Most of the newer cars are Super Stalkers withe the SC 3.8, but the early ones have the 60 degree motors. There are some good ideas in there. And you know me, I love other people's good ideas.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 8:57 pm 

Interesting site, I am beginning to think it is difficult to be original when building these cars :lol:
Al

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next