LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: May 10, 2014, 11:12 pm 

Well thats it, all burned out now after a long winter, last task to do was to install a set of spats, at least that is what I think they are called.
I was going to try some Xpel Ultimate and actually ordered a small piece, but my talents were lacking when I installed it, (read that as screwed it up) so I used the traditional metal instead.
So now if it would ever quit raining I could go test and adjust my brakes, tranny and new rear gears as well as my wings and set the speedo, etc.
Supposed to be sunny next week, we'll see if all this work was worth the aches and pains :D

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 2:04 am 

Very nice, Raceral! I still love the way this car turned out.

SamM

PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 6:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Yeah, what Sam ^ said... Car is looking good Al!
(How do you keep the garage that clean???)
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 10:23 am 

+1 on that, Al. It looks great.

As far as rain goes, I don't know what an El Niño does for British Columbia, but they keep talking about it down here like they expect it to happen. I guess we have to wait until June 30th before they call it one way or the other.

So, if it happens, will you get a hot, dry, sunny summer and lots of road time in your Locost, or will your next project be an ark? :D

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 7:07 pm 

Well just like that we hit sunny and 80 degrees, time for some testing after all the mods over winter.
Now, not one to announce my dirty underwear in public I got around it by not wearing any.
No wait, that was when I was younger, now I am old, I tell all.

So with that, I started the car and backed in and out of the garage about a dozen times...seems to stop ok.
Fenders vibrated a bit on fast idle but smoothed out once I kicked it down to 900.
Since I already had a measured 2 miles for the speedo from last time I might as well run the same route, set the speedo to the new gears and tailstock.
Park out in front of the house and push the speedo button, umm, nothing, supposed to go to full swing then half gauge, didn't do anything.
Push the button a couple more time more forcefully, uh, now what, my odometer just cleared off all of last years miles.
Thought it wasn't supposed to be able to do that, well must have screwed something up.
Worry about it later.
Go for the drive instead and test the brakes.
I get about a block away from home and hit the brakes moderately, seems to stop better than it used to, looking good.
Drive another block put on the brakes and now I hear a grinding noise, bummer, what's that.
I do a few swerves back and forth nothing, touch the brakes lightly and 'el grindo'.
That ain't good, so I do a U turn and decide to head home instead, whoa lots of grinding on the U turn.
I creep home grind grind grind, whoop dee doo, now everyone notices my car.
I get home and back in and out of the driveway applying the brakes, seems to get worse, but at least I know it is the drivers side.
I get out, get a light and take a look.
Interesting there is a gouge on the very outside edge of the rotor.
Since I ground my own Wilwood adapters I am thinking what did I screw up.
Screw up I did.
Al, bozo the great, I had one of the pads in backwards.
The irritating thing is they fit easily backwards and I checked it, double checked it and triple checked it.
Still screwed it up, so rather than blame myself all night long, I blamed it on my torn retina that I had to get surgery for during the winter.
Ahh, felt much better.
So I took the caliper off and switched the pad around, luckily the pad sits just below the gouge, which was made by the pin on the back of the pad.

And a bonus, my wheel just comes off without removing the fender, awesome.
So time for another drive, but before I go for some reason I get an urge to look at my Autometer speedo instructions, so after 10 minutes digging around I find them.
Well that is interesting they say to hold the button then start the car, not start the car and hold the button, my memory is starting to suck.
So I give it a try and darned if it doesn't work; two thumbs up for the bozo.

So I drive and set the speedo up, it all works good, shifter works fine, brakes work real well and I haven't even adjusted the bias bar or the proportioning valve.
The rear end has a bit more back lash than my old 3.73's, not overly so, but enough I notice it.
I am running 2300 rpm at 50 mph in 4th with the new gears, at 50 5th gear seems to lug a bit, but good at 60mph.
Car doesn't quite have the immediate snap it had before with the 3.73's but on the other hand the tach isn't at 4000 rpm all the time, so all is good.
The 3.08's are quieter so I hear more car noises than before, not so good.

The car definitely has less wind buffeting, now I can see the wind wings certainly do help in this regard.
Now I wonder what if any the effect also might be switching from clamshells to cycle fenders.
Still windy but not near as bad, before my ears would ring for a week at 60 miles an hour, now they are fine.
I won't question it too much as I don't want to screw up my good luck.
Speaking of cycle fenders I had a BB sized rock whiz by and hit my spat, so a new awareness I didn't notice before with clams.

Also had a perk common to all of our cars, my hat blew off on the highway, I didn't snug it down tight enough.
A break in highway traffic so I whipped around a U turn and slowed down to 10 miles an hour, reached out and snatched it up off the road, hit the gas and took off.
Lets see ya do that in your sport puke, I mean ute..
The other interesting thing is I had to loosen my fenders stays so I could rotate the fender slightly to remove the caliper bolt.
I had used red lock-tite instead of my usual blue.
Well this stuff just undid easily with my tork wrench, what is with that, I thought RED was the end all to end all, got torch it free and use a million foot pounds to remove the bolt.

Now there is a real bright side to all this, when I was doing the husbandly moaning the blues and my wife was feigning concern a friend of mine came by.
During the conversation he remarked that maybe I should switch to the Wilwood dynalite system, then I wouldn't have any adapter crap in the mix.
My honey pie of 47 years asks him what would that do, he replies give the safety of a pro setup and all for only 600 bucks.
She says to me maybe you should look at that for next winter??
Uh, the wife is worried about her safety, and my buddy is sneakily trying to work his way into a free bottle of hooch, from yours truly using man talk on my wife.
All I can say he got his commission and I will have one more winter project, when I find the money, no one volunteered a donation.

So everything has worked out ok......so far.
If anything bad happens passed this post I ain't telling anyone.

Al

PostPosted: May 15, 2014, 1:01 am 

Remember Al, in a hundred years from now it won't matter. Glad it all worked out, it always does.
:cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 26, 2014, 2:04 am 

Very high quality build on your car. I am out in Abbotsford and working on a locost with a 5 liter ford 5 spd. I was wondering about inspections and insurance from ICBC. Any info would be appreciated.

PostPosted: May 26, 2014, 6:34 pm 

banggerlarsen wrote:
Very high quality build on your car. I am out in Abbotsford and working on a locost with a 5 liter ford 5 spd. I was wondering about inspections and insurance from ICBC. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the compliment. have you seen this thread yet, it might help with some answers to your questions.

Al

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4143

PostPosted: May 27, 2014, 11:17 am 

Thank You thats very helpful. From the sounds of it there is a certain burecratic haze to it all. If you are feeling low and in need of more compliments shoot me a line as I would love to see your car in person.

PostPosted: May 29, 2014, 6:20 pm 

banggerlarsen wrote:
Thank You thats very helpful. From the sounds of it there is a certain burecratic haze to it all. If you are feeling low and in need of more compliments shoot me a line as I would love to see your car in person.

Right now my daughter is going through some operations at the hospital, so pretty tied up at the moment.
Everything is going fine with her, as soon as that is behind us I am more than willing to have you come up look at the car, maybe get some ideas and share what you are doing.

Al

PostPosted: June 13, 2014, 3:57 pm 

Changed my 7 in a low rider, or how I learned to love my roof as long as I don't have to drive anywhere. :shock:
Actually just a little of tongue in cheek humour.
Tomorrow I am going to a local care home, which is hosting a car show for the local seniors that are unable to get away on fathers day weekend.
The forecast is calling for occasional showers, which can mean anything around here.
So I pinched one of the wifes patio brellies just in case it monsoons.

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 13, 2014, 4:21 pm 

Good thinking. It looks like it covers it, too. It's much better than having to clean up water out of your cockpit.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 7:08 pm 

Al,
I have gone through your build thread, I could not find out how you handled the clutch slave hydrolic line routing. The way mine sits now the line to the slave is inside the foot well area. I dont really want to have a hump in the skin that the loud pedal foot can catch on.

mind sharing a few pics of the drivers foot well?

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 11:07 pm 

Hello Wax,
I re-indexed my slave cylinder by creating a second notch in the mounting bracket.
This allowed me to rotate the whole assembly enough so I could have the line come off the bottom of the cylinder.
As such nothing intrudes into the footwell, the tunnel is smooth.
And no problem bleeding the slave cylinder after the mods.
I have added some how to photos.
Hope this helps.

Al

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 11:59 pm 

Thank you soooooo MUCH for that!!!!
It confirms my thoughts. Yours is an after market slave.

Do you know if it is this one (see link) this is what looks closest to the one you have.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-c ... /chevrolet

again thank you soo much for the pistures.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next