LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 11:18 pm 

Hi Rod
I kindof wished I'd ordered one of the unisteer rack kits from summit. My summit parts get here in 4 days. I ordered my flaming river fr1520(manual quick ratio) from Rjays and it took 3 months! Now I still need all the ujoints and shafting. What kind of ujoints are you using?. Do they come apart for welding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27, 2008, 12:01 am 

I'm using Sweet Mfg joints from Speedway, you can take them apart for welding. I wish I ordered from Summit too, I ordered direct from Unisteer and it took 2 week and they sent me the wrong tracking #.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post subject: Exhaust
PostPosted: January 27, 2008, 10:10 pm 

Finished trimming and welding collector flanges and O2 bungs. Exhaust is all on except for rear hangers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 6:52 pm 

Its funny how things work out

I've been searching for a posi with some decent gears for my rear end. Ive also thought about upgrading to 31 spline axles(cobra or explorer).
So I bring my aluminum mark VIII driveshaft in to be shortened, and the guy at MIDWAY Driveline in pickering looks at mine(one end is rubberized ) and says it will be hard to do. He goes off into the back and comes out with another aluminum driveshaft(from a C4 corvette) and says it will be easier to shorten.He gives a quote of 120$. As we look over my flange for the differential and transmission yoke, we select the correct U-joints. By this time I'm fairly greasy so ask If I can use his washroom to clean my hands. As I walk there I see all these carriers lying around so when I get back out. I ask If he has any 8.8 irs limited slip differentials. He says I have a few we rumage through them and there it is . The differential Ive been searching for ! An all aluminum 8.8 irs from an Explorer with 3.73 gears and posi. I think I got a great deal at 100$. The thing is like new inside.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by pmatolcsy on February 5, 2008, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 8:55 pm 

Great job Phil. Nice score on the diff. Awesome workmanship and progress as usual. :thmbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 3:49 am 
Nice work. I got an explorer housing and cover but decided I wanted a 4 point mounting, FWIW it appears that the rear cover is the first thing to break on the Cobra and the Explorer cover should fix that. What halfshafts did you use?

Post subject: Rear end
PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 6:13 pm 

I'm going to try 2 left hand explorer axles. Their assembled length is half way between a cobra axle and a markVIII/tbird axle. Right hand side is quite a bit longer. In regards to the front differential mount, the markVIII aluminum housing has two seperate 0.5" thick front mounts and no ribs on the outside of the case. The early explorer case has one 1.5" front mount and is heavily ribbed . I understand that the later model explorers(not sure of year) have two front mounts. It looks stronger to me.
How is your search for rear rotors that fit the tbird knuckles and brakes with the cobra pattern hubs going?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6, 2008, 5:23 am 
I caved in and had a pair of SN95 11" rotors turned down they were the same in all respects except for diameter now the diameter matches. I was looking for an off the shelf solution but have not found one. In the research I did the Terminator Cobra didn't have any problem with the housing except when they broke the rear cover then it was possible to trash just about everything in the rear at one time. This was fixed by solid mounts and a crutch on the rear cover further fixes generaly were taking compliance out of everything and going to 31 spline outers. I believe the weight of the 7 will provide enough of a fuse to cut down on breakage. I'm using 03 Cobra shafts because I found a deal on a new set minus the tripods which I already had.

Last edited by locostv8 on August 25, 2008, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 11:11 pm 

Finally got back out to the garage. I've been trying to work out my next parts order and have been doing a lot of research.I try to work as far as I can without parts because shipping seems to work out better on larger orders.
I've just about finished up my steering linkage(need to mount a real support bearing ). The driveshaft is in and fits well. I wanted to test the clutch system before finalizing the pedal box. I had a lot of trouble finding a GM style quick disconnect for the slave cylinder, so I hacked the end of the fitting off and welded an AN3 male adapter to it. A couple of flexible brake lines joined together and I was able to Bleed and test the clutch. Works nicely . Fully disengages (I can spin the tailshaft with trans in gear)with about 1.5" of pedal travel(less than 1/2" of master cylinder travel) Effort is less than expected but not sure of clutch condition. If it gets too high I can put in a smaller bore master cylinder(currently 1") and use a bit more pedal travel.
I'll be starting my sway bars soon. I'm going 3/4" in front and 5/8" in the rear. Hope to have then very adjustable and the Energy Suspension Greasable Urethane mounts I'm using can be had in several sizes with common mounting centers. I was originally going to use tube for the sway bars. That way I could just vary their wall thickness for different rates ,but I dont have a tubing bender so solid should be easier to work with. I hope to make the front and rear bars interchangable. so I can make other bars for tuning up or down.

Regards Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2008, 10:10 pm 

whyd you go with the ford IRS and not a C4 corvette IRS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2008, 7:54 pm 

The corvette c4 irs uses the axles as the upper control arms and this translates allot of wheel hop problems right into the suspension.Generally it doesn't work very well from what ive heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2008, 7:06 am 
A couple of more problems is breakability and $$$$$$$$. It causes real problems when something happens to the axle like twisting it or breaking a Ujoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2008, 10:33 pm 

how much do these ford setups weigh? how much power can they take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7, 2008, 4:08 am 
I can give weight for the diff at 70lb. With compliance removed and DSS 31 spline half shafts in an 03 Cobra with 900 hp & slicks over 300 passes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7, 2008, 5:39 pm 

so the 03 cobra rear end/suspension is the same as explorers/mark VIIS? 8.8"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next