LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 10, 2024, 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 12:44 am 
Databases fear me

mr.peabody.d wrote:

looks very mid eighties supercar

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 3:13 pm 

Fiberglass Update : Sticky
Sorry just couldn't resist
I'm very new to this bodywork and fiberglass stuff
I finished all the plugs in Red Tremclad enamel ,waxed and PVA'd them. Should have taken some pictures before I hacked them all up with fiberglass . Have had no trouble at all with seperating the fiberglass from them ,although I do scratch the paint on the plugs.
I started with a front fender. Decided on Epoxy as its winter here and it seemed better (less fumes and can alter temp to change working time).I work with the window open, then crank up the heat when I leave and I can demold the parts about 4 hours later. 4 layers of 6 oz cloth was hopelessly flimsy. Added another 4 layers and still wasn't happy with rigidity of front fender, considering how close its edges will be to my tires . With a 2" flange all around I couldn't change its radius but In torsion I could twist it almost 45 degrees , even with the cloth layed alternating at 45deg and 90 deg. By that time had 4 layers on the nose. Decided to try some localized foam reinforcements covered in another 2 layers of glass. Rigidity is much improved and parts are still very light.
When I ran out of 6oz cloth, after talking with RAYPLEX (http://www.fibreglass.com) , I switched to 9oz cloth and bought a small sheet of their 1/4" thick polypropylene honeycomb. Used my unuseably flimsy fender as a mold ,rewaxed and PVA'd it . Made a new fender with 2 layers of 9oz on the outside, some honeycomb, then another 2 layers on the inside. I used a curved "shoe" to hold the honeycomb against the outer layers while they set up ,then added the inner Layers. Fender is very light, rigid and I'm happy with it.
I'll see how flimsy the rear fender is with 4 layers of 9oz cloth and then decide if I'll remold with honeycomb or just reinforce with some foam. It has more shape than the front so it may be rigid enough already.
I'll get some pictures up when I'm a little less stickY!!!!!
Can someone PM me on how to add a link properly(like the the one to rayplex above).
Happy Holidays to ALL
Phil[/url]

Post subject: Pictures
PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 4:25 pm 

Photos as promised

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 26, 2007, 4:28 pm 

Looks great Phil. You sure do work fast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 12:23 pm 

I agree. An impressive combination of custom design, good quality, and rapid progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 1:26 pm 

Phil

I love that nose! I have a Spirit track nose that now may show up on EBay before long...

Have you thought about doing a two tier tratment similar to what they use on pavement midgets?

http://www.swindellmotorsports.citymake ... 416415.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 4:04 pm 

Wow every thing looks really good, your sure not wasting any time.

keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 5:18 pm 

Just to be sure I'm following along correctly, you're using the patterns as male molds, right? Tell us a bit more about how you made the patterns, if you would--you're doing a fabulous job and it reminds me that I still have a lot to learn.

Also, got any shots of your rear fenders from the back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 7:17 pm 

Wow
Thanks for all the encouragement!!!! I'm glad its only my wife that thinks I'm off my rocker.
Jack, I found google sketchup (free 3D cad) very useful in visualizing various designs. I went through quite a few before arriving on something I wanted to build. The bucks are made from 5/8 " MDF and 1/8" hardboard. For the front fenders ,I just made up 2 half circles at the radius I wanted then spaced them apart with 3 spacers at the width I wanted . The 3 spacers were all 90 degrees apart and tall enough to hold the sides firmly in the same plane. I then wrapped them in 1/8" hardboard using 1" wood screws to clamp until the glue set. BIG WARNING HERE. Where It says Polyurethane glue may stain your hands and wear gloves , Listen. I had to wait about a week for all the Black stained dead skin to grow out of my hands. No solvent known to man will remove that stuff. After letting the glue dry a couple days, I removed all the screws and radiused the edges with a 3/4" round over on the router. I filled the holes left from the screws with quickset sandable 45 drywall
compound ,sanded and the primered , sanded and painted them.
For the rear fenders the shape on the Inside and outside are different so I marked the shapes I wanted but left them 1/2" big when I cut them . Using a straight edge set across Inside and outside I eyeballed the angle necessary to bring both edges Into the same plane . I used my 5" grinder with a 36 grit disk to cut back to my marked line at the angle necessary to bring Inside and outside into the same plane.Very dusty work. When done I wrapped them in hardboard same as the fronts. I had to eyeball the roundover since the edges were at less than 90 degrees and couldn't be routed. I created them with a 40 grit flap disc on the grinder.
The nose was made in similar fashion using 5/8" hardboard for the front, bottom and sides. but the large round over on the top of the side pieces took about 4 layers of offcuts to get the required radius.I shaped that with the 36 grit grinder disk as well but the pieces were all cut to approximately the correct angles first. The gently curved top was made in 1/8" hardboard and formed over pieces of the required shape similar to the fenders . The parts are mostly curved in 1 plane only but using the method I did produced some shape In the other axis that was unexpected but welcome. In a few spots on the nose I added a bit more shape using the drywall compound where the shape seemed too Flat.
I've never done any of this before and followed the construction of your aero build for inspiration.
Phil

Post subject: Re: Pictures
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 8:46 pm 
Congratulations pmatolcsy,
I welcome your sense of innovation. The nosecone looks great... the deflectors are something I would like to do too one day. I am anxious to see the whole car (I am sure you are too).

Philippe.
Mostly steel Locost

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7, 2008, 12:47 am 

So how does your chassis line up with the book one? I know you said its got the longer wheelbase but what else? Did you use the book as a starting point or start from scratch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7, 2008, 5:15 pm 

In regards to Carsonp's questions.
The chassis is described in my first post . It is basically a one off. I started with my motor and wheel choice and went from there. I did consult the book alot but decided I wanted an Integrated roll cage to also act as a windsheild support. That pretty well dictated how long the parallel portion of the chassis would be. I mocked up one half of the chassis in wood first to make sure I was happy with the dimensions. 48" to the outside of the cage was the smallest I could fit in. Its still pretty tight. My build is quite a bit bigger than a book 7. I could have easily set the rear axle centerline forward almost a foot, but I liked the look with the tail stretched out a bit.I also drew it in CAD and that helped alot.And I followed these forums and got alot of great Ideas from the ingenious minds out there!
Heres an early diagram of the proposed dimensions. These were altered slightly to fit as necessary ie roll bar height confirmed over helmeted head (raised 1.5"),front axle centerline moved back 2" to allow more room for rack,rear overhang to fit desired fuel cell etc. I played alot with the various suspension design programs to arrive at a geometry I was happy with.
Hope this helps

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 8:09 pm 

Progress
We had a nice break over new years at the cottage. Lots of snow. When we got back ,my wife had a few small projects for me (that consumed about 40 hours). Tried bending some sheetmetal using the Book method and wasn't happy with the results so I build a small hand brake. Had some freinds over I dont see very often , so I "DOLLED UP" the car by reattaching the bucks to it. Finally got my steering rack! so thats been mounted up. Also got my fuel pump and hardware so started mounting and mocking up that. Added a fuel level sender to my fuel cell.Both the fuel level sender and defroster came from Princess auto and were very reasonable

Last edited by pmatolcsy on January 26, 2008, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm 

couple more pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26, 2008, 10:09 pm 

Phil,

Is that a Unisteer manual rack, looks exactly like the one I just put in my car yesterday!

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next