LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: September 24, 2023, 12:06 pm 

Finding wheels has proved even more of a challenge. I did come across these that I like which are available in 7 and 8" widths that will accommodate my chosen tires sizes while maintaining a 38mm offset in the front.
https://enkei.com/shop/wheels/classic/compe/

Tires in 195 and 225 in a 100tw are not as much of an issue. I am a bit weary of going up to a larger rim than 15 for multiple reasons from ride harshness to weight and even looks. Thankfully, the miata market will keep tires in stock at these sizes in the future, but i was surprised how many wheels I came across were much lower offset that ideal.

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 11:03 am 

The frame is coming together nicely, some parts I am waiting on transmission and engine for crossbeams and supports to complete. I intend to do the transmission tunnel in 3/4" steel above the 1" base, and may use 3/4 round for the top bars in the cockpit. This is to aid in forming the tunnel into an appealing shape.

Contact with Kinetic Vehicles has been established and parts will he onnthe way soon. I will drove up and get the body parts myself in November, and I have a running tally of costs and projections. Current projected cost is around 14k, and I think the final roadgoing cost will be in the range of 16k allowing for 2k in cost overruns. This does mean I have to do a faitlr bit myself, such as building a petal box instead of splurging 500 dollars on one, but that is fine. Gad prices are also spiking so sheetmental may prove costly.

I am keeping up with a minimum of 2 pieces cut and tack welded a day at minimum 5 days a week.

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 11:16 am 

Did you check in vsusp the scrub radius, that you will have with those wheels?
I did this mistake, now I will have to add 13mm wheel spacers, I'm just pointing it out, to watch for that.
I have got lucky with some Wilwood pedals, found the whole set(two pedals and three cylinders) for $100 on Offerup. Only one cylinder I had to replace(wrong size), and even that one I have found on Offerup, they were all new, in unused condition.
Sheet metal is very expensive already, I will go steel for the bottom and most of the interior because of that. 1/8th 6061, 2' x 2'= $200(!!!) + shipping.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 11:42 am 

I will have to see what the local costs are when the times comes, but I am fairly steadfast on not adding weight without purpose, I don't want any regrets, despite the budget. I am looking at those wheels because they have a 7" 38 offset and an 8" 25 offset for the rear. Some popular wider miata wheels at 25 offset in the front which would not be ideal, or only come in narrow rims with no wider option for the rear. Once you add inna couple required variables, the list of acceptable wheels drops considerably. Stock offset is 40mm, so 38 on a 7" front should be quite good. I have not messed with Vsup yet, and it will be a month probably before my suspension parts and kinetic contol arm kits are here. I am waiting to do the aft front suspension mount beam until I get mounts and better geometry finalized.

I will be atarting on the rear frame and diff mount section next, and adding trans tunnel, extra supports, and other mounts as parts arrive to fit them.

I am looking at https://danstengineering.co.uk/Ford-Duratec for ECU, engine mounts, and duritec bits like ITB's

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 12:04 pm 

I'm just saying, do not jump in for wheels so early. I did that mistake.
Have the spindles first, measure them, input everything in vsusp and see what you get and need.
I have started building my own ITBS and Speeduino ECU.
The danstengineering parts are nice but costly. I'm a machinist, so for me it is easier to machine, than spend the money.
I made a bit of mistake with the throttle body, because I went with the 2011-2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R onse, and those have an oval mouth opening, which is harder to work with.
I will buy the airbox and use the bottom of it(or use it as a template) with the rubber gaskets and clamps from it. I'm trying to source the bottom rubber boots from Ebay(new are $62 a pair!).

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 12:14 pm 

Overall the Dans itb kit is pretty affordable compared to the 1500 dollar options, I do see they sell the flanges, so I couple possibly fit together my own. I have consodered speeduino as well, but to get one with all the bells and whistles including wode band controller isnt as much of a savings over the ME221 option which is supported and plug and play. There are so many oppertunities to DIY and shave costs, but I do want to finish the car as well.

I am using miata knuckles and lower ball joints so I figure stock miata offset is going to be the way to go to minimise scrub radius. I will of course do a Vsup on it and also wait until I get the suspension mounted before dialing in the exact steering rack length and position.

I have the differential in hand, so I am going to be working on the rear section using vudoo plans, which may require that I unbolt the frame from the table and slide it a bit

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxx_wb8LfIt/?igshid=MmU2YjMzNjRlOQ==

I post updates on my instagram, like and follow and all that zoomer stuff

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 3:45 pm 

If I remember correctly, danst mentions that the ME221 does not control VVT correctly, it just switches it on and off.
Speeduino is super cheap. I'm soldering mine together these days, it is almost done. Even the software is loaded on the Arduino.
One thing that I don't like(or maybe I'm not aware of yet), that I don't see a knock sensor connection for it.
I will make the intake manifold and exhaust complete myself, or a CNC coworker. We have a CNC at work and a laser cutter.
I will make everything out of steel. That is the only thing I can weld. I only have a 110V welder and I don't have 220V in the garage either.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 5:15 pm 

Another bonus of the speeduino is tuner studio for doing a digital dash I believe.

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 6:36 pm 

...and auto tune.
But I will go with regular gauges.
This car is my inspiration.
Some things I'm not planning to follow, like the diffuser for example, it is to much imho.
Windshield most likely won't be not possible either, but I'm still looking for one, that would fit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: September 30, 2023, 11:09 am 

I am going to take some time to decide on ECU. The ME221 can do VVT correctly from what I understand but a simple on off would be ok for me as well. I may consider building a Speeduino or Megasquirt, depending on how the budget is looking at the time. I am very interested in the TunerStudio support for making custom digital gauge clusters which would be another source of cost savings vs other options. I will just have to see how I am feeling on time when I get closer to that point. So many little projects involved in building the complete car from mostly scratch parts, and there are always options for spending more to save time. I will just have to be mindful of the overall budget and where I get caught up time wise.

Post subject: loving this Momo wheel
PostPosted: October 3, 2023, 11:35 am 

Got a great deal on this MOMO wheel. Momo Team Steering Wheel 280mm TEA28BK0B.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 3, 2023, 10:32 pm 

Very nice!

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 3, 2023, 10:40 pm 

It is nice and small. The NC Miata is 14.5". It takes up a lot of space in the car.
I'm about to locate and install the NC steering column and Wilwood pedal assy.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: October 4, 2023, 8:22 am 

A proper steering wheel is a must. Perfect choice!

PostPosted: October 5, 2023, 10:52 am 

I was annoyed to find that the first shop I went to for cutting pieces, didn't intend to get to it for over a week if at all, the that it would cost 150 dollars minimum to have stuff cut. My angle grinder also died trying to cut it, and the chop saw protested as well. Luckily The new angle grinder I got had no issues cutting through and I got the pieces all cut and cleaned up. Ready to press on with these and move onto the diff mount.

I am running low on 1" square tubing, so the transmission tunnel will likely be 3/4 as well as the less structural parts of the rear body.

Transmission is ordered so I will have it on hand to mock up the tunnel for best fit and clearances.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next