LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: SteyrTMP's Seven GTR
PostPosted: May 10, 2013, 7:59 am 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Congrats, :cheers:

Yeah, what he said! I hope Mama and Ayrton J are doing well!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 10, 2013, 11:35 am 

They're still upstairs in the deliver, now im in er for possible appendicitis.

::update:: Apparently I have a kidney stone. Better than appendicitis, but still not fun. This is after waking up in the Labor & Delivery, hurting, walking down to the ER and spending 6 more hours there. Oh well, back to L&D. Will post pictures soon.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: July 28, 2013, 11:07 am 

Well, it's been a busy life lately. Other than Ayrton, now 2.5 months old, I had an interview at the job I wanted to apply for, and, starting Monday, I will be working at Brilex. I had safety training Friday, and will have the rest of orientation Monday. I have to bring all my machining tools there to be calibrated... and I'll be bringing all my shop backups as well. Most of the stuff I have had calibrations expire in January or March.

Finally, I managed to get outside. I first hacked off the back cosmetics, and then yesterday I managed to start on the new look. Before:

It looks horrible without any panels or fenders, but once the fenders are on it, it will all make sense. I think I am going to form some sort of ducktail to help meld the fenders to the back panel, as it doesn't follow them exactly. It's a lot closer than the rounded back end was. The top section was extended by roughly 4", and the bottom by 1". Nothing is pretty about it, but after some grinding and welding, it should be more presentable. Yes, that is conduit. It's strong enough for cosmetics, and there is going to be more triangulation for even more rigidity. At $1.48 per 10 feet, it works pretty well. I just have to brush off the galvanization, but oh well.

Right now I don't have a mixed gas tank, so I only was able to borrow one over the weekend. My other two tanks are both argon tanks. Might trade in my empty for a mixed gas, but my buddy is supposed to be aquiring a mixed tank, as I do work for him as well. I like having two argon tanks, so I can have one for purging.

Work is going to keep my very busy... Not only am I having to change my lifestyle--I usually get to bed between 4-6am, and I now have to wake up at 430-500am--but I am going to be working roughly 55 hours a week. I'll still try to get the fenders on ASAP.

I almost forgot I still have a M45 supercharger from my now-deceased Mini. It's the original blower, with bad bearings, but for about 40-60 bucks, I can get a rebuild kit... Hrmm. Twin-charging, anyone? In all reality, I highly doubt I'd have room in my current configuration. I'd probably over-pulley the supercharger, although the current turbo is small enough to have no lag, so perhaps the two both working at full capacity would be better. I figure another 50-100hp with the blower would be pretty feasable, especially if I rebuilt my second engine for this. Turbo, supercharger, built block, and water/methanol injection... sounds like 400hp-ish to me.

I am still looking for anyone in the Ohio/PA area that is good with fiberglass. I really want to make molds of the fenders before I start driving with them on regularly. I'd much rather daily drive with 'glass fenders, that can be reproduced in a day, than the original aluminum fenders, that took months to make. I am a little worried about trying to make the molds myself. I under the concept, but I only have one try at this, and would rather not screw it up. I doubt I could remake the fenders.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 11, 2013, 8:32 am 

First off, awesome build, great dedication, and good inspiration!

Secondly, the M45 will end up being a bit small for a twin-charge, but useable.
When I ran my numbers for my future setup, I found I needed an M62 or an M90 to stay in the center of the chargers efficiency island and gain the benefits of the setup.

You'll effectively be multiplying the turbo's pressure ratio by the superchargers ratio, and the efficiency islands dictate whether or not you'll reach your boost target, or if you need to intercool.

I'd spend some time in Garrett's turbo tech page (here} and also snag a copy of the Eaton efficiency map for the M45.

I think yours is the 5th gen with teflon seals on the rotors, so this would be the proper map.
(click for larger)

I don't remember seeing you give the actual turbocharger part number, so I can't do the exact math and see for sure what the M45 and turbo would stack to, but the guess is that you'll need a pressure ratio of around 1.6 to 1.7 to get your 400Hp.

The back of the napkin stuff follows.

Your 400HP target will require a MAP of 46.35 PSIA with a 12.0 AFR on a 2L engine turning 6500 RPM.

That means you'll need to make 31 PISG of boost, with an overall Pr of 3.15 or so.

If you use the 1.7 Pr for the supercharger, you'll have a base boost of around 10PSIG, and your engine will be making around 215HP before the turbo even enters the equation.
With 45 cubic inches of air per rev, you'll need to be spinning 11289RPM on the charger snout, which means a 1.7 overdrive.

The flow at this RPM will be around 498 M^3/hr (294 CFM), which will put you at the 55% efficiency island.
The M45 can handle that without much issue.

Now if we stack on the total 400 HP, your mass flow goes to 928 M^3/hr (546 CFM) which is off the chart for the M45, and the M62 as well when they are the only charger. You'd also be spinning over 22K at the snout.

I'm stopping here because much more would clutter things up too much, and I don't have the real world numbers to back things up.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: September 30, 2013, 7:31 pm 

Thursday, on the way home from work in the Seven, I stopped at the local Speedway to buy Icees for my wife and daughter. Picked up a few things I had freebies for, came out, climbed in... nothing. No click, no try to turn over, nothing. Called the wife, she came in the van, she helped while I poked around, trying to figure out the problem. I had power, and after looking closely, I had injectors and fuel pump.

After a bit of messing around, stopping home to get the laptop and come back, I verified that the ECU was fine, everything else was fine. A NAPA guy from across the road verified that the battery was fine. Finally decided must be the starter. I got a push, and jump-started for the first time. Only took three tries....

Once I got it home, I parked it for the day. Friday, I took it out, and brought the starter to my parents, and my dad and I went to Autozone and had some imbecile test it. It tested ok, with a little cloud of electrical smoke. Then it wouldn't do anything... when I realized that the moron had short-circuited the starter. That little security bar they slide the starter on, to keep it from rolling off, was too long, and he had it touching the copper wire/cable going from the solenoid to the starter itself. In doing so, he managed to fry half of it. Needless to say, I was not too pleased.

Today, I finally had a chance to reinstall it. Tried starting it... nada. Irritated, I started following wiring.. and found the problem. The heavy-duty wire between the key and the starter button had come loose from it's crimp. A quick re-do, and double crimp later, it starts up fine.

I feel better now. It's been very reliable, and I didn't like the idea that it died for no reason. Noone likes their daily driver dying with no reason.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: March 7, 2014, 3:43 am 

Whoof. Been very busy. Little work done on the Seven, although a few things are in the works.

I did finally get around to purchasing some larger injectors... 550cc RX7 injectors. I put them in and adjusted the MSIII for them the other day. Still needs a good tune, but it should keep the lean issue at bay. I haven't gotten a chance to do any major driving, although I did drive around doing errands the week before last.

I plan on driving tomorrow. I'll see how it goes.

I'm looking hard at the idea of a sequential push-pull shifter. More to come with that.

I also got two tablets for Christmas. I hope to have one serve as my dash. Still working out the bugs; it's been too cold to do much work on it.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: March 7, 2014, 12:16 pm 

SteyrTMP wrote:
I also got two tablets for Christmas. I hope to have one serve as my dash. Still working out the bugs; it's been too cold to do much work on it.

I love this idea. What kind of platform/software are you looking at? (Android, I assume...?) Are you planning to tie it into the MSIII?

PostPosted: March 7, 2014, 7:14 pm 

One tablet is a no-name 7", and the other is a Wal-Mart specifiS, the Stealth G2 10". I'd like to use the larger tablet, but it doesn't have a regular usb port, just a micro. Is have to go from micro to a full size usb jack. Neither have Bluetooth, which I didn't think to check... both are Android, btw.

I'd like to use ShadowDash, but it rewrites Bluetooth. I bought a Bluetooth dongle, but I have yet to see it function...

MSDroid is supposed to work with a usb cable, so I'll probably have to settle with that. It's free, also, unlike ShadowDash. I would much prefer the display function and customizability of the ShadowDash, but oh well.
My dad and I plugged the smaller tablet in the other weekend, bit it was 12 degrees it, we were cold, and the battery was mostly dead. It wasn't recognizing the ecu, but I'll try again in a better temperature, and with a full charge. I will keep everyone updated the best I can. I've been extremely busy lately, much to my chagrin, because I'm not getting paid enough for it to show. I hope to get more bodywork finished this spring, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
I'm also looking into a push-pull sequential shifter as well. I'm trying to avoid having to make one from scratch, as the research and testing would be very time consuming, but my budget has no numbers sighed to it at the moment, so.... We'll see.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: March 8, 2014, 2:47 pm 

SteyrTMP wrote:
One tablet is a no-name 7", and the other is a Wal-Mart specifiS, the Stealth G2 10". I'd like to use the larger tablet, but it doesn't have a regular usb port, just a micro. Is have to go from micro to a full size usb jack. Neither have Bluetooth, which I didn't think to check... both are Android, btw.

A buck forty-seven. (Monoprice.com is very much a Locost sort of place for "it'll do" electronics/accessories!) Sturdier units will put you out a whole five bucks!

SteyrTMP wrote:
I'd like to use ShadowDash, but it rewrites Bluetooth. I bought a Bluetooth dongle, but I have yet to see it function...

MSDroid is supposed to work with a usb cable, so I'll probably have to settle with that. It's free, also, unlike ShadowDash. I would much prefer the display function and customizability of the ShadowDash, but oh well.

Good luck, I hope there's an option that works out for you!

I've been idly wondering about using a tablet for some rudimentary data logging/display, but I know beans about how sensors communicate with the ECU.

PostPosted: March 8, 2014, 3:59 pm 

Some obd2 dongles are Bluetooth and can communicate with a phone, if I remember directly, so it should be feasible with a tablet.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: March 8, 2014, 11:33 pm 

Yeah, BT should work just like a wire, so it sounds reasonable to me.

PostPosted: July 6, 2014, 11:16 pm 

Well, I still haven't gotten a tablet to work on it, but I haven't spend a lot of time trying recently.

However, I have gotten a few hours here and there to work on the bodywork. Because I had the left rear corner already hammered together for the first version of the rear, I had to do some work to make it fit the new back end. I'm working on filling in the cuts and whatnot from the original version, as well as adding some material to the bottom.

At this point, I'm welding on all my Dzus fasteners. I think I'm going to run short, so that's going to hold me back some more, as I'm broke, as usual. I'll try to find some money to get however many more I will need. I think I figured out about 28 total to hold the back end down, as well as the fenders on top.

(the left fender looks almost flat, but it's just resting there and there's a decent gap at the base. When up against the fender tightly, it looks much better.)

As for the fenders, I'm stuck on them right now. I have to redo the rear suspension before I can put the fenders on. I realized that when I have the fenders in place, I have 2" of clearance from the current tires to the fenders. I know perfectly well that the worn out, cut-down, stock Miata springs that are on it right now have more than 2" of travel, and a good bump would tear the fenders right off, tossing hundreds of hours of work down the drain.

So, I have the options of making bumpstops, which would suck--I'd bottom out constantly, and it would make the already weird handling characteristics worse. The other options are to either find some heavy Miata springs, or springs that would fit, and have bumpstops just in case, or, finally, find some used coilovers.

The coilovers are the best option. I've tried everywhere, but cannot find just rear coilovers for the Miata. I can use generic coilovers, like the QA-1's I have in the front, but I'd have to redesign the mounting points. I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

Any tips would be wonderful. I'm trying to find a pair used, since I never have a lot of money.

Oh well. At least I'm getting some work done. I think I may have found a source to buy new wire to completely rebuild the harness to fit the car where I want it to. I am contemplating on moving the battery from then back to the front by the passenger's footwell. There's a little space in front of it, and I think I have enough weight in the back as it is. That was my reasoning for placing it in the back in the first place--I figured I would need all the weight in the back that I could, but it turned out, I think I might actually have more weight in the back, maybe 45/55.

I will try to keep posting.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 12:30 am 

In way behind on updates, but well try to catch up one of these days.  Currently am tearing it back down for paint and 
Rewiring.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 1:08 am 
The voice of reason

Wow your nosecone looks great! :yay: :headbang: :thmbsup: That's what they should all look like, I don't know they don't.

How's your little kid?

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 1:56 am 

Both are doing good... I'll post more pictures eventually... I have a picture of Aleyah taking the 7 apart.

I know. I plan on making molds and selling copies of my nose cone, as well as the fenders.

Dean Koontz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next