LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: SteyrTMP's Seven GTR
PostPosted: December 20, 2015, 10:19 pm 

Steyr, an interesting question. The Aussie standards speak to torsional stiffness. Why? Maybe its is a relatively simple test that implies overall quality, or maybe not. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ultimate strength, although a stiffer chassis should make life easier when it comes time to tune the suspension.

PostPosted: December 20, 2015, 11:04 pm 

Interesting points. I've driven mine as a daily driver for several years, including to and from trade school (45 minutes either way), where I did my own laser alignments (I think I spent as much time in the auto shop as I did in the machine shop...), and in spite of rough roads the entire way, there were no deviations of suspension alignment. I've taken the front off and put it back on numerous times, and it's like a M14 scope and mount--take it off, put it back, it's zeroed every time.

I'd be curious to see computer stress/torque models of the original design and the Aussie mods. I have a hunch the change would be minimal. I'll bet closer engine bay G1/G2 bars would make more of a difference than some of that. I bring mine in as close to the oil pan as feasibly possible. It makes some things a pain, but it also allows me to weld more sheet on the bottom for aerodynamics. The less open on the underside, the better.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 10:49 am 

I am only on page 15 of your build, But I had to join the site just to tell you how impressed I am with what you are/did do. I will finish reading everything and give my overall thoughts. Love the DIY attitude!

PostPosted: July 6, 2016, 12:18 pm 

Thanks. I've been pretty busy lately, but things are slowly picking up. I need a few more things before being able to make fiberglass molds, which will in turn make the final appearance possible.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: November 3, 2016, 12:36 pm 

Life has been in the way, but I've been trying to, very slowly, work on the bodywork.

I've waxed the nosecone, and brushed on release agent (will spray for the final mold; this is just a splash mold, and much sanding and bondo is expected for the initial product from this splash mold), and I tried to use thin cardboard for the divider segments, but it became way too flimsy, and had to tear off, along with a good bit of the release agent. I brushed more on, and bought some craftboard, and will try using two pieces of that sandwiched together as integral parts of the mold. Hopefully will get to that this weekend.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: January 2, 2024, 2:31 pm 

I see I am overdue on an update.

Well, where do I start? It has sat for four years now, with minimal driving, as I've had some electrical issues, which happens to be my biggest weak point. First, I was having no A/F response, then it wouldn't run right, and then, qhen we went to update the MSIII, the new (ten years later) version does not read most of the original settings, which I no longer remember.

At this point, I think the head gasket gave up again, so I intend on removing the engine, putting I'm the spare I have, as well as all the mods done on the original engine. After that, I need to make a new harness, as the original one is a rats nest, and I've been having some major electrical issues, some of which act a lot like bad grounds.

Any electrical or MSIII help will be happily accepted. I'm not sure how many are in the Cleveland/Youngstown area.

Also, I have started on another build. I will make it's own log, when I get time. It is not a scratch build, but finishing a build by someone else.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dean Koontz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26