LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 11:57 pm 

A couple of you have noticed my lurking and asking questions by now. I've finally made up my mind with what I'll be building and what I'll be building it with engine and transmission wise.

My plan is to use a 442e frame modified to run IRS. Engine will be a mashup of 2 subaru engines. Shortblock will be a ej255 out of a 2010 WRX, heads will be SOHC EJ22t heads as opposed to DOHC that usually comes on turbo ej255 engines. Transmission will be a 5 speed subaru transmission with a welded center differential and no front differential. Rear differential will be a subaru r160 with a 3.54 ring and pinion out of a 02-05 WRX. ECU will be a MS3-Pro set to ran on speed density.

As for as turboing it or not I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing, but currently the plan is to make two manifolds, one for each bank. The manifolds will be simple, the two ports will join directly after exiting the head and then go towards the front of the car, once in front of the engine by about 1-2 inches the pipe will terminate at a v band flange. The v band flange will be for running different exhaust setups. The current plans are just wrap the pipe straight out the side into individual mufflers on both sides without joining the exhaust or join the exhaust in a small x-pipe in front of the engine then out to the mufflers. If I turbo it the plan is to run a stock td04-13t out of a wrx then out the two mufflers. I don't want it very loud :D

Below are a couple pictures of the UNFINISHED frame design so far.
(95% of the frame I did pull off of the google sketchup library, just modifying it to fit an ej series engine)

PostPosted: February 5, 2013, 12:14 am 

I wanted to ask, so far how does the engine bay look? I'm going to tie in the upper firewall into the trans tunnel and triangulate the bottom a bit better also. Any other thought's to make it stiffer and a bit better?

PostPosted: February 7, 2013, 10:00 pm 

Kinda looks like the foot box area is significantly less stiff now. Wouldn't it be better to widen the front end than to elongate and move points in a structural component? Control arms can be shortened.

PostPosted: February 8, 2013, 4:06 pm 

I was looking at that also, I think I'm going to triangulate it a bit more on the upper center and the bottom between the two vertical supports to try to make it stiffer. In addition to that maybe put some supports across the bottom of the engine bay from left to right.

Been so busy trying to get a buddies car running so he can help me swap head gaskets on my wrx I just haven't even touched the frame design since I posted it.

PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 10:43 am 

Long time bump from the dead. Did this end up going anywhere?

Obviously I dug it up because I'm looking to place a Subaru engine into a McSorley 442E chassis as well. Steering linkage will get interesting.