LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
PostPosted: July 8, 2013, 4:38 pm 

TLAR= THAT LOOKS ABOUT RIGHT==PERFECT
WAG=WILD ASS GUESS== WHAT MOST PEOPLE DO
SWAG= SCIENTIFIC WILD ASS GUESS= WHAT I TRY TO DO, WHERE YOU TAKE A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE AND STRECH IT TO HELL AND BACK AND CONVINCE YOUR SELF THAT IT WASN'T "wag really"

94% of Americans say "OH SH=T!" as they dive into a foxhole the other 6% are from Texas and say "Here HOLD my beer and watch th

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

PostPosted: August 18, 2013, 10:39 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Actually had the car out a few times this month -- something I don't get to do too much with two toddler seats to fill! ;-)

The car feels as good as ever. Mostly toted one of my neices or nephews here or there. Seems I get lost each time I drive it, and end up 20 miles out of town, attempting to get to the store a mile away. Think I should install a GPS?

I never did run the cable to shut off the heater core valve I put so much fuss into. This is a drag in the summer, as hot air ambles out of the vents. Wouldn't take an hour to fix with a lawn mower choke cable.

Who knows...maybe I'll actually get in the shop and finish the rear body work this winter and paint it next spring. Hmm...I don't think I'd recognize it!

Ride on,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: June 19, 2014, 12:20 am 

I was wondering about how much your frame weighed before you started adding the drivetrain and body to it, I'm about to start a build soon but my main focus is keeping weight to a minimum. And do you think it would be possible to do with round tubing instead?

PostPosted: June 19, 2014, 9:57 pm 

Dave, that gettin lost thing is just taking the scenic route, after all, you get there in the end.

bit like building the car really.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: June 20, 2014, 11:41 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
fix with a lawn mower choke cable.

Lawn mowers don't have chokes anymore. You're just starting your parenting adventure. Expect to notice the world has changed when you next start to really notice it again. In about 12 or 14 years is my guess.
:cheers:

PostPosted: February 7, 2015, 9:46 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Any-thing-that-rolls wrote:
I was wondering about how much your frame weighed before you started adding the drivetrain and body to it, I'm about to start a build soon but my main focus is keeping weight to a minimum. And do you think it would be possible to do with round tubing instead?

Seems I recall it was 54 pounds, without the floor or rear end... But I'm not sure. There's a picture of it hanging from a Scaife in my build log somewhere.

Round tubes are doable, but a big pain in the ass mounting things to it. This had been discussed extensively in another thread.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: December 12, 2015, 9:38 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

This is why I have that big, ugly windshield frame: http://www.rhein-zeitung.de/region_arti ... mwiIGSrRaE

The article happily reports that the driver's face stopped inches before the guard rail wiped his nose, and that he was relatively uninjured. Close call!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 12, 2015, 11:43 am 

Yes. This and the omnipresent hooved furry woodland creatures around here are excellent reasons to deviate from the classic form.

PostPosted: December 12, 2015, 11:55 am 

Very lucky fellow.
It says he came from where the police car is parked, so he probably had the backend step out, hit the guardrail and then snapped around. To have your face within a fraction of an inch at the guardrail must be horrendous. He now drives the only monster truck in Germany. :shock:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: December 12, 2015, 12:32 pm 

Pictures like that that are making me include a front hoop as well as a rear. tradition matters little if you can't live to carry it out!

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: December 12, 2015, 2:21 pm 

My Locost (When I ever get around to building it) will definitely have a full cage. Besides our vigorous White-Tail population, this is also cattle country, and they're not real great at recognizing fences and/or boundary lines. On more than one occasion I've woken up and found the neighbors herd in my front yard. And we've got some wild Tom Turkeys around here that could put a serious 'hurt' on a Locost!

PostPosted: December 13, 2015, 1:24 am 

Good thing he was driving solo at the time. It appears the passenger side of the roll bar is what stopped the car from submarining under the guard rail completely, and a passenger's head would not have fared well 'twixt guard rail and roll bar.

PostPosted: December 13, 2015, 10:36 am 

Way back when the feds established a standard 18" bumper height we had some ability to avoid drive under accidents. That all went away with SUVs. The knobs in my town think guard rail bottoms should be at Miata cowl height. So trucks won't roll over the top. :x

PostPosted: December 13, 2015, 12:48 pm 

At least you still have guard rails. ARDOT has gone nuts for stringing steel cables between I-beams, with the open ends turned to face traffic. They'll slice-n-dice a motorcyclist, and I've seen them shear the side off a car like a knife.

The only reason I'm going with a cage is the prevalence of Satan's Hooved Minions in my area. My wife calls the front hoop the "Bambi bar."

PostPosted: December 20, 2015, 5:52 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

"Bambi bar!" I love it! That's what I'm calling mine from now on. Will save a lot of conversation time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next