LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 2:22 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Thanks, Nate!

No, it's Home Depot racing pipe. Good stuff, but they don't stock it. Took two weeks them to get mine in special order last time.

In other news, I am officially in Reassembly Mode! :cg: Got the wiring harness strung up pretty much in place. Odd...I recall it being a whole lot more tidy when I took it out. Hmm... :?

-dave "in a mood" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 4:50 am 

Congratulations on reaching the final straight! And :cheers: to having enough gas in the tank to take the checkers. 8)

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 12:42 pm 

Hat Dave:
In an earlier thread you were going to measure your front suspension components and post dimensions. If that happened, where can I find the post?

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 10:06 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

1ducatiboy wrote:
If that happened, where can I find the post?

What if it didn't happen? ;-)

I'll measure them sometime in the next week or two. I've promised this several times in the last year, so maybe this time I'll come through.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 11:57 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Attention, Hempy Fans!!! My car will be returning to drivable state this weekend! :D

Currently, these are installed: harness (hung but not connected to anything), hard fuel lines, steering column, and the handbrake lever. I guess I just lack the engine, right? ;-)

-dave "busy, busy, busy" hempy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 12:44 pm 

Yeah Dave! I'm glad to see that you have resisted the temptation to drive an unpainted Locost. You will be much happier with the painted frame. Its looking great! I love the color.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 3:11 pm 

dhempy wrote:
Attention, Hempy Fans!!! My car will be returning to drivable state this weekend! :D

Ooooh... big talk for a Saturday afternoon! I'll be rooting for you!

Andrew "counting Hempy's chickens" Nether10 :wink:

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 6:07 pm 

This weekend, huh? You must have a different flat rate book than I do.

maxlessca wrote:
Yeah Dave! I'm glad to see that you have resisted the temptation to drive an unpainted Locost.

I think maxlessca is giving you a friendly tease here. Were it a mean spirited tease, it would have read, "...glad to see that you have resisted the temptation to drive an unwelded Locost..." but hardly anybody remembers that any more. You're lucky we're all so warm hearted here. :)

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of the miles/hours you drove before tearing it down for paint?

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 6:53 pm 

[My car will be returning to drivable state this weekend! [/quote]

No Jack, if he was nasty he would have said "that never stopped you before" :D

Ron

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 12:46 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
This weekend, huh? You must have a different flat rate book than I do.

maxlessca wrote:
Yeah Dave! I'm glad to see that you have resisted the temptation to drive an unpainted Locost.

I think maxlessca is giving you a friendly tease here. Were it a mean spirited tease, it would have read, "...glad to see that you have resisted the temptation to drive an unwelded Locost..." but hardly anybody remembers that any more. You're lucky we're all so warm hearted here. :)

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of the miles/hours you drove before tearing it down for paint?

This was actually a follow-up to a post I made a couple months ago, when he first got the car on the road. My post read:

Quote:
...But now that you will be driving it, I don't know if you will ever want to finish it. :roll: I've had that problem myself. My car has been on the road for about 5 months now, and I'm just getting around to painting the body now. Its more fun to drive it than to work on it...

I was just commenting on the fact that he's going through the effort to finish the car.

Good luck this weekend! It sounds like your going to be working hard. Your almost there! :zoom:

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 11:15 am 

Dave, It is now Sunday morning and less than 24 hrs till drive time......... :rally:

If you make it, Congratulations.

If you don't quite get there, It is one he** of an effort.

If you are reading this before your are driving, GET BACK TO THE GARAGE!

I'm hoping you make it! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 1:55 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Hit a couple of setbacks yesterday and didn't get nearly as far as I'd hoped. I figured I'd be in assembly mode, like Legos when you following the instructions with pictures. Somehow, I spent a good part of the day engineering, fabricating, and painting. WTF? I thought that was behind me!

Found a few fussy little mechanical changes to make, most of which involved fouling the paint. :evil: Welded a steering column tab on, chiseled it off, welded it again...cut out at least three welded nuts or studs that I didn't mask (man, that POR-15 is some tough paint!) and welded in new ones...bent the firewall 1/8" to allow a wiring connector to pass *over* a tube instead of around it (like anyone will ever see it)... Those kind of annoying little jobs that should take 2 minutes but actually take 20. :?

I redid the plumbing on the fuel tank for a reason that I can no longer recall. Seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm sure.

Then I hit the biggie. I realized I never painted the rear subframe. It used to be the best looking part of the car, with its shiny black Mazda paint. Well, now it pales next to the shiny silver frame, and is a prominent feature in my tail-less car, so I talked myself into waiting to paint it first. Ugh. There is no hurrying paint.

I started it around maybe 9 or 10 last night with a black coat of POR-15. Did some other stuff (mounted the steering rack, dressed some wiring, and it still was wet, so I went to bed and set my alarm for 2 AM to go put the silver coat on. I only had enough silver for the rear and top of the subframes (the parts that show). Used the dredges in the can to paint my bench vice. It's much classier now.

Attachment:
subframe.painted.jpg

This is roughly how the car looked at the end of the day:

Still got 24 hours of Kitchen Pass, so we'll see how far we get...

-dave "build on" hempy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 2:00 pm 
Always Moore!

Looking good Dave. You're almost there.

Post subject: Modified fuel fittings
PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 2:18 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Okay, so I gave up on using AN-6 bulkdhead fittings on a tank drilled for AN-8 fittings. I mean, it worked, and didn't actually *leak*...just maybe weeped ever so slightly sometimes. :leave:

I didn't have enough room to use the regular AN-8 fittings, so I ended up with 90 degree AN-8 bulkhead fittings. This design fits much tighter to the tank than the 90 degree bend fittings. Stepping it down to a 5/16" barb (or some other combination of plumbing to get to my fuel filter) proved to vex me. I thought I had it figured out and came home from the race shop with $70 in fittings and line that I thought would do it, but I was wrong. Ugh.

Poring over the Summit catalog, Internet, Home Depot, Advanced Autozone, etc., I couldn't figure out a solution with less than 43 adapters at $25 a pop! ARGH!

Then I remembered something...I have a lathe!!! :idea:

So, a few minutes later, I'd converted an AN-8 to AN-4 adapter to an AN-8 to 5/16 barb adapter! :mrgreen: Try and find that one in your speed shop catalog!

Man, aluminum threads disappear in a hurry! I'd prefer a bit more length to the barb, but I'm happy with it.
Attachment:
fuel.fitting.turned.jpg

I opened the bore up from about 1/8" to almost 1/4" for better flow.
Attachment:
fuel.fitting.bored.jpg

I'm embarrassed to display my worst safety wire job EVER! I can only excuse it as being a one-hand blind job inside the tank, with my wire twisting pliers 30 miles away in the hanger. All the same, should keep them snug. I have a lot more respect for OB/GYN's now.
Attachment:
fuel.fitting.wired.jpg

The result is a very tight installation. I think it would fit in a 2" cavity with room to spare.
Attachment:
fuel.fittings.slim.jpg

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 8:09 pm 

Looking good, sure is nice to have a lathe around. I grew up in my dad's shop with one and sure miss it now.
Kristian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 57  Next