LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 1:09 am 

I figured with all the road construction over there, you were trapped in the house. I need to stop by and see things.
Now that I have power to the garage, we have decided to buy a house in town. I just paid this place off last month. I just can not stand not having a payment. Now have to move the garage and wire it again.

Gene

http://www.scrabblegod.com/locost

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 12:14 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

You're welcome any time, Gene! Want to help paint? :D

BTW, how long does it take for POR-15 to wear of your fingers? And nose? And scalp?

-dave "wonder why I ran out of paint?" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 1:20 pm 
Hack

You sound like the first time I used Great Stuff. I figured it'd wash off like latex paint.

I managed to completely coat my hands and large sections of my face (hey, it itched) with a nearly indestructible layer of polyurethane foam. Ever try to get expanding foam out of leg hair?

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 8:14 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

A friend just posted this photo. It's from one of my test drives last spring, before I got street legal. When you can't drive on the street, you have to get creative where you can drive.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 12:42 am 

Any chance you'll make it up to River Downs/Bend for the autox this Sunday?

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 1:29 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

krepus wrote:
Any chance you'll make it up to River Downs/Bend for the autox this Sunday?

Like the string said... "No, I'm a frayed knot." Unless maybe I bring sweetie's car.

-dave

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 1:47 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Attachment:
cabin.side.JPG

Attachment:
body.inside.jpg

Attachment:
body.template.curvy.jpg

Attachment:
body.template.jpg

Attachment:
paper.jpg

Attachment:
body.engine.side.jpg

Attachment:
body.engine.2.jpg

Attachment:
body.joint.jpg

Attachment:
body.driver.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 7:47 pm 

The angle os a nice twist on the front panel.

I can't wait to see how it will turn out with the nose

Cheers,

Fred

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 8:28 pm 

dhempy wrote:
You're welcome any time, Gene! Want to help paint? :D

BTW, how long does it take for POR-15 to wear of your fingers? And nose? And scalp?

-dave "wonder why I ran out of paint?" hempy

lol, that reminds me of when I used POR 15.

I had to take a week and a half off work (part-time at a restaurant), because the paint wouldn't come off. I think it took two weeks total for it to finally come off for me.

Good luck! LOL :mrgreen:

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 8:51 pm 
Always Moore!

Looking good Dave.

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 11:25 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Sorry...I've been sitting on these for a week and a half.

Gosh...in the photos, the paint looks like I dipped the car in hot tar or something. I mighta put it on a bit too thick, particularly on the backside. I put two coats on the bottom, realized I didn't have enough to do the top, so I just put the last 1/3 quart on the bottom as the third coat. Probably overkill.

The chalky metal is the result of the etching.

Just a few days ago, I flipped the car over, thinking I was ready to paint the top part. Well, it turns out I'm not...I keep finding little things that really should be tended to before painting. *sigh*

-dave "there is no overkill, really" hempy

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 11:59 pm 

Looking good there. I managed to warp the driver's side floor on mine while welding it in too. I wish I would have practiced on the passenger side first so I don't get reminded every time I get in.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 12:27 am 

i take it you rolled the POR15 on and not sprayed?

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 12:36 am 
Lumbering Giant

POR-15 doesn't appear to level as much as one would hope, so I suggest that on your roll bars and anything else that will be visible, you may want to knock off any patches of scale with a wire wheel and re-prep. Or, you can sand, fill, and topcoat at your leisure.

This guy has some very credible suggestions for topcoating POR-15, worth a look:

http://www.vanagonauts.com/-POR-15-Frank-s--Recipe178.htm

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 1:19 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Brushed on. First I used disposable foam brushes. They worked well, but the paint ripped the foam of the stick after a while. I switched to a regular brush, and didn't like the results as much. When I continue, I'll go back to the foam brush, or maybe a miniature foam roller...all from Home Depot.

I don't really care about the warped floor. It's really not so noticeable (to me!) when not admiring a photo of light reflecting off the shiny paint at a low angle.

Oh, I also drilled a few 1/4" drain holes here and there in the floor pan. I then stuck a drift in and bent the hole, much like a double louver. Does that make sense? Anyway, it should deflect spray from below. Thought I took some pix, but can't find any now.

For the rivets, I tried to put them through the floor, inboard of the chassis tubes. For the front panels, this worked well, as I cut the sheets to suit. For the cockpit sections, the sheet was miraculously cut and bent to exact size...straight from the recycling yard! Go figure. As it ended up, those went into the tubes.

I'm considering drilling a hole in each tube (or at least those suspect to leaking, such as riveted tubes) and injecting some boiled linseed oil and then welding the hole shut. For threaded fittings (e.g. windshield to roll bar bolts), I may try filling the hole with silicon before installing the bolt. We'll see...

-dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 57  Next