LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: 12/05/2007 - Pedals
PostPosted: December 11, 2007, 2:35 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

In order to get the MC's out of the scuttle, I'm considering a forward-mount pedal rack. I didn't think it would work with the steering column, but I think shooting the column trough the front wall of the footwell (instead of above it) would avoid most of the interference problems. I think this layout probably allows the highest pedal placement without putting a bulge in the hood.

Here is what it might look like. I'll have to forgo a windshield, so I can reach the pedals. And install and anti-gravity generator in the reservoirs. ;-)

-dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11, 2007, 3:12 am 
Weight watcher

David -

I don't know how familiar you are with a mod called "coolant re-route" that is commonly done on miata motors.

Basically the idea is that the BP (and B6) motors are originally made for FWD cars and east-west mounting.
When Mazda went ahead and put those motors in the miata (north-south mounting), the original place that the thermostat was installed was now at the back of the head, right under the coils and shoved against the firewall, or in short - a royal PITA to service.

So Mazda reconfigured the routing in a way that the T-stat will be service-able, but the cooling system of the miata isn't as efficient as it was on the FWD cars and the #4 cyl tends to run hotter.

This is of course more crucial on a boosted motor that sees boost all day long at the racetrack (like the one that I had), but I do think that it is a good idea to convert the system to the original config again, especially given the fact that it's perfectly accessible on the locost.

Why am I telling you this whole story?
Because your broken T-stat housing can actually be used in the creation of the coolant re-route pieces.

I'm attaching pics and diagrams of the re-route from my miata for you to see the idea.
Keep in mind that you don't need the external T-stat housing like the one that I built for myself, there's a recess at the back of the head that will take the T-stat and the elbow as is.

Moti

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11, 2007, 10:02 am 

Nice post Moti, great information. :thmbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11, 2007, 3:05 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Blackbird wrote:
I don't know how familiar you are with a mod called "coolant re-route" that is commonly done on miata motors...

Thanks, Moti...that's good stuff. I've heard mention of it, but didn't know anything beyond that until I read your post.

Sure makes sense... it's a wonder the #4 cylinder gets much cooling at all, really. I'll probably make that mod, although maybe not before getting it on the road. If the engine wasn't already pretty well committed in my build, I'd look at that first to make sure I didn't lock out any options. I've got that engine pushed back just as far as it will go. But as it is, it will either fit or it won't. If not...well, I'll make sure my *next* car accommodates it.

I am planning (well...expecting..."planning" is such a strong word...) on having a heater, so I'll be retaining the heater core plumbing. Not sure what I'll use for a core...the Miata's unit looks way too large.

I've also considering using a heat exchanger on the exhaust, like carb heat on an airplane. I'm pretty sure that won't happen, but it would be fun just for it's novelty. ;-)

Thanks again for the insight, Moti!

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

Post subject: heater
PostPosted: December 11, 2007, 9:27 pm 

Dave H said I am planning (well...expecting..."planning" is such a strong word...) on having a heater, so I'll be retaining the heater core plumbing. Not sure what I'll use for a core...the Miata's unit looks way too large.

Dave even though there are a lot of small heater cores on E-bay, believe me it will take a lot of time to make a heater, probably 40 to 45 hours for the system and if you need defrosters for the state inspection probably another 25 hours to make fiberglass ducks and vents.

Unless you are obsess like me and have to make everything, the easiest approach would be 12V hair dry(s) for defrost and/or a heater from the rear of a van or a tractor. the tractors seemed to have the smallest. The smaller heaters for the Hot rods still did not have defrost. The first thing in your PLAN is the check with the Kentucky state requirements on the defroster.

Good luck on the heat!!!! Dave W

Post subject: Re: heater
PostPosted: December 12, 2007, 2:26 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

davew wrote:
...believe me it will take a lot of time to make a heater...heater from the rear of a van or a tractor...The first thing in your PLAN is the check with the Kentucky state requirements on the defroster.

Good luck on the heat!!!! Dave W

Thanks, Dave W! No, I don't need to build every part...don't mind at all adapting components from other sources. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

As for The Man, I went down to the county clerk before I started, and couldn't get much info from them. I don't think he was familiar with the process, but didn't seem opposed to the notion, which I find a pretty encouraging state of affairs. :)

I get the impression Kentucky is far more reasonable than some other states. Let's hope I'm right! :?

-dave

PostPosted: December 12, 2007, 3:07 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I got my nose and scuttle (super) from Kinetic Vehicles a few weeks ago. This is what they look like mounted with gravity and electrical tape. I'm not sure what to do with the nose...cut it so it reaches the bottom of the frame, or leave it high and ignore the frame peeking out under the chin. I could lower it an inch and clear the engine, I think. Maybe 1.5", but that would require some fancy footwork to keep the engine under the hood.

The scuttle is equally confounding. Given the flexibility of Jack's Super Scuttle system, I can cut it higher or lower. Dangit...another decision! Why can't anything be simple??? ;-)

(Sorry for the cruddy pix.)

-dave

PostPosted: December 12, 2007, 3:23 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

The transmission mount is nearly done. I installed an X-brace to support the tranny bracket, as well as stiffen up the tunnel. Probably overkill, but what the heck.

The bolts will go in from below into the blind nuts from the PPF. This allows installing/removing the tranmission/engine from below, without a helper, access panels, or 43 socket extensions with swivel joints! There will be another bracket like the one shown to go on the bottom. That one will bolt to the frame, so I can still pull the engine.

I'm not sure yet if there will be any rubber in this mount. If you have opinions on this set-up, please post them over here: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=26804

-dave

ps. As of this post, my build log is officially UP TO DATE!!! :yay: This means that the great feedback you guys provide can actually be usefully applied from here on out. The downside is that I will no longer be able to maintain the facade of setting such a blistering pace. ;-) </immortal>

Post subject: Nice pix!
PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 1:55 am 

I'm glad you're documenting everything so well. Now I know what you're doing when you disappear for days at a time! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 2:48 am 

Let me guess.....brothers?

J. R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 3:51 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

junior wrote:

J. R.

No, but I'll give you a hint...Her name wasn't always "Hempy!"

-dave "gotta start watching my language around here..." hempy

ps. I lub you, schoobies. :kiss: (And no...I'm not talking to you, J.R.!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 4:12 am 

Hi Janine, welcome aboard!

And Dave, if you're going to watch your language, you could start with "I lub you, schoobies." Crimeny, you're a grown man--write "I love you, schoovies" like everybody else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 11:04 am 

dhempy wrote:
junior wrote:

J. R.

No, but I'll give you a hint...Her name wasn't always "Hempy!"

-dave "gotta start watching my language around here..." hempy

Well I started to blush there for a second. Call you this weekend dave when its FREE CELL PHONE TIME. I have answers to our questions.

J. R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 12:22 pm 
dhempy wrote:

Eww... I just threw up a little in my mouth there. :lol:

--JOsh

Post subject: A-Arm prototypes
PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 2:35 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I'm using the A-Arm prototype system from Kinetic Vehicles, which makes sense since I'll be using their A-Arms. Jack was kind enough to loan me all the connectors. I bought the rod ends and brackets from him and found the tie-rod ends locally.

This is what 2 minutes of tinkering looks like. I like fast progress!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next