LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently February 24, 2020, 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Mudfest!!!
PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 12:56 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I came across these photos today. I thought I had posted them this spring, but apparently not. We decided we weren't afraid of a little off-road excursion through the mud. More fun than smart, really.

Enjoy!

-dave "good, clean fun" hempy

Attachments:
mud_track.jpg
mud_track.jpg [ 35.1 KiB | Viewed 3524 times ]
File comment: Yes, that is my hat. Yes, I still wear it.
mud_hat.jpg
mud_hat.jpg [ 46 KiB | Viewed 3523 times ]
mud.car.jpg
mud.car.jpg [ 56.94 KiB | Viewed 2273 times ]
mud.smile.jpg
mud.smile.jpg [ 114.45 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
mud1.jpg
mud1.jpg [ 44.86 KiB | Viewed 3522 times ]

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]
PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 1:05 pm 
Hack

I guess it's no garage queen!

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 1:06 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Nope...I've NEVER been a hangar queen kinda guy. My toys are for ME, not the spectators.

BTW, I took this shot LAST WEEK. How in the world did mud get on TOP of the gauge cluster, under the scuttle?!?!? To this day, I find mud in the darndest of places. I'll never do that again.

-dave "yeah, right" hempy

Attachments:
mud.dash.jpg
mud.dash.jpg [ 40.96 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 1:10 pm 

WHOOOOOOOOOO----WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! DAAAAV-UUUD, GET 'ER OUT HERE AND LET'S TURN 'ER LOOSE IN THE RED DIRT!!!! I'LL BRING A BOOMBOX WITH SOME SKYNYRD!!!
JOE (REALLY A DEADHEAD) G.

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 10:10 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Just have a sec to post, but I noes you guys are teeming with anticipation.

Installed the frame in the glass and the whole assembly clamped in place on the roll bar. Having second thoughts about the mounting tabs on the inside but may proceed regardless. Mostly, I don't want to remove the glass from the frame again, and don't want to weld (or solder) with the rubber gasket and glass installed.

I had considered running a bolt from behind the bar, through the bar, and into a tapped hole in the frame. Much like the regular stanchion mount, but from the rear, not the sides. I don't like that idea much, but haven't ruled it out entirely.

Also realized that I have yet to weld in the tubes between the front and rear roll bars (well, I knew that part...) but have already fished the tail lights wires inside the roll bar and buttoned everything up. Again, I don't want to undo that part to do another part. Maybe I'll weld the tubes and just see if the lights still work. ;-)

Anyway, can't work on the car tonight... :crying: Some servers blew up at work and I'm the only one dumb enough to answer the phone. Guess where I'll be tonight. :skep: I took some pix last night. I'll post them later if I have to wait on a server for something.

I'm still expecting to get my inspection tomorrow. Not *quite* where I'd hoped to be by now, but close enough, probably. Note - I've never claimed I'll pass the inspection this week...but I want to go ahead and go through with it and get over this whole aversion thing.

Later, gaters.
-dave

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 10:53 pm 

Good luck Dave!

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 1:55 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Pix from last night...

Tools of the trade:

Attachment:
windshield.tools.jpg
windshield.tools.jpg [ 33.7 KiB | Viewed 2272 times ]

I'm glad I chatted with the guys in the glass shop, not just the girls at the customer counter. (Gosh, that sounds sexist, but it is factual (except that one of the "girls" could be my grandmother) and a pretty accurate stereotype, so maybe its not a stereotype and maybe not so sexist?) Anyway, one of the gender-inspecific technician employees said he (or she) was glad I didn't bring the frame in, because (s)he wouldn't want to be liable for hammering on it. "Hammering?" I asked. He told me to use lots of dish liquid or silicon and whack it (the frame, not the glass) pretty good with a mallet.

If he hadn't told me that, I'm not sure I would have thought of it, and certainly would have taken a long time to muster the solid whacks that it took to get it seated. Dish liquid wasn't enough (or maybe I wasn't hitting hard enough yet) so I went to the heat gun set on high. This softened the rubber nicely. I quickly added soap, but I think it steamed off before I got things lined up and started hitting it. The heat seemed to be the trick.

I'm going to delay trimming the rubber as long as possible. I have this nagging suspicion I'm going to need to take the glass out of the frame before this is done.

Use eye protection and gloves, for shatter and heat protection.

Attachment:
windshield.frame.align.jpg
windshield.frame.align.jpg [ 41.25 KiB | Viewed 2271 times ]

Using a "stretched" frame made alignment critical, but not too tricky. It probably made it a lot easier. I can't imagine what it would have taken to get the whole thing beat into place in one piece. Jack is going to send me a 6" piece to fill in the gap. I might weld/solder it to the other pieces, but honestly I think just the rubber will keep it in place. We'll see.

With stanchions, I imagine you can get away with just about anything, so long as the bottom width is close to right and the bottom profile matches the scuttle reasonably well. With my design, there's an awful lot that has to be right...angles, dimensions, and the bottom curve. Having the frame as a two-piece unit gave me some flexibility in mounting.

The glass was cut a hair smaller than the template. Within tolerance, but perhaps 1/8" on each edge. That gets dicey when you've got perhaps a 3/8" target you're shooting for in the channel depth. I split the difference when I made the template, so knocking 1/8" off that really put it close to the minimum limit. I would recommend making your template at or close to the maximum size you want. I believe they can take more off later...the edges all appear to be ground.

I couldn't just push the two sides together, as they would have then not been touching the front plane of the roll bar. That is, the frame wouldn't rest on the "front" of the roll bar tube, but would nestle inside it, which would have been very unstable.

However, I could raise them up slightly, then move them in slightly. I chased the alignment up, down, left and right for a good 90 minutes until I was happy. Very fussy, tedious work. :roll:

BTW, I'm not advocating a two-piece frame...just commenting on how it affected my build. A one-piece is absolutely the way to go. I was just using what I had.

Attachment:
windshield.dot.bug.jpg
windshield.dot.bug.jpg [ 29.17 KiB | Viewed 2275 times ]

I was pleased that they got the bug (DOT imprint) on the glass. We're required to have laminate glass in KY. We're not required to have the bug, but it makes me feel better all the same.

Attachment:
windshield.car.jpg
windshield.car.jpg [ 58 KiB | Viewed 2273 times ]

Ta-Dah! I like how the frame and glass diminish the front roll bar. I think I'll paint that hoop flat black. The rest of the roll bar (and car) will be hi-viz.

I'm not entirely sure how to treat the lower corners. I'm inclined to leave them bare...I think they look nice. However, I'm not sure I like the vulnerability to debris kicked up from the tires.

I need to find some big rubber molding for the scuttle edge of the glass. Given the adjustments described above, the lower gap increased from a scant 1/4" to nearly 1/2". Not sure what I'll find to fill that gap yet, but I'm sure something will come up with. Any suggestions?

Still need decide on the mounts and fasten it to the frame. Drilling the roll bar is one of those commitment moments I'm good at dallying about.

Inspection tomorrow is still likely. I've taken the day off, and there's good odds they won't call me in anyway. Should be able finish the windshield mounting, replumb the tank well enough for inspection, and tow it downtown during business hours. Don't know if I need/can get an appointment tomorrow or not. We'll see.

-dave "bugsplat" hempy

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 8:26 am 

Dave, Nice work and good luck on the inspection today.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 10:51 am 

Dave,
Quote:
I need to find some big rubber molding for the scuttle edge of the glass. Given the adjustments described above, the lower gap increased from a scant 1/4" to nearly 1/2". Not sure what I'll find to fill that gap yet, but I'm sure something will come up with. Any suggestions?

Take a look here,http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-edging/=33jt3c orhttp://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-edging/=33jrvq. Looks like it might do it.
I really like the way the windshield frame hides the roll bar, lookin' good!!
Brian

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 2:20 pm 

So are you calling that a windshield or is it a front mudflap?

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 6:40 pm 

Jack sells a piece of trim in his windscreen kit that should fill that lower gap nicely.

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 12:39 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Well, Friday came and went and Saturday as well, and no inspection in Hempyland. :-(

I lost two nights this week to work, so I took Friday off to try and catch up. Things were looking hopeful, if not downright likely, for getting the windshield mounted, the car on the ground re-wheeled, trailered, and towed down to the next county before the sheriff closed at 4.

Well, that didn't pan out.

At one point late morning, I decided to put the mounting tabs on the outside. Seemed like a safer bet. But, vanity got the better of me and I decided to put them on the inside after all. Not only did I like the design better, but I didn't want my first aluminum welds to have such prominent visibility on the car! I figured if inside didn't pan out I'd put them on the outside and no one would be the wiser. I won't say I wish I'd put them outside, but I'd sure have made better progress and ended up with a more sound product if I had.

So I beat some 1" x 1/8" aluminum strip into curves, cut them, and drilled them. I used some leftover roll bar material as the mandrel and the drilling jig:
Attachment:
windshield.tab.drill.jpg
windshield.tab.drill.jpg [ 50.26 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]

Speaking of jigs, I was having an awful time clamping the windshield frame to the round roll bar. Somewhere along the way I figured out to tack some little steel tabs to the roll bar.
Attachment:
windshield.jig.jpg
windshield.jig.jpg [ 26.64 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]

This ensured perfect alignment each time I placed the windshield and provided the "third hand" that never seems to be around when you really need her. I mean it. Did I say her? Slip of the tongue. Honest, honey ;-)

Anyway, those will pop off when I'm done with them, and probably not even need any sanding/grinding. Sometimes I overlook the simple solutions.

I then spent several hours learning how to badly weld aluminum under very challenging conditions. I wasted about 50' of aluminum wire to bird nests alone. (Grr... :x ) Turns out the first two were from forgetting to ground the frame...boy I felt dumb after I figured that one out! I know cleanliness is key for aluminum welding, so welding right on the rubber probably wasn't very kosher. Oh, well. My welds were crappy, messy, and caused much damage. It pitted the glass where the slag landed, and set my speedometer on fire:
Attachment:
File comment: Ugly as all sin, but (most of them) turned out pretty sturdy. The rubber held up surprising well, and will be trimmed off later. I did have the foresight to slice the rubber flush with the frame under the tabs *before* mounting them. For once I did something in the correct order! ;-)
windshield.tab.weld.jpg
windshield.tab.weld.jpg [ 33.76 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Hard to tell, but that's where the speedometer housing/hood was burning. Like for-real burning...flames and all. Funny how you never notice the flames until you smell something funny and look down.
speedo.burnt.jpg
speedo.burnt.jpg [ 22.46 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]

It was late in the game before I realized the glass damage. After that I shielded it with some aluminum sheet...but by then it was really just for show, as I'd already done seven of the eight tabs.

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 12:53 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

So, overlooking the quality of the welds and the blemishes on the glass, I was frankly feeling pretty good about things! :-) Two of the tabs broke off. One worked fine the second time, but the other took a good 3 or 4 tries before it was better-than-marginal. Eh...I figure 8 fasteners was a bit overbuilt anyway, right?

Honestly, I like how they look. They're very discrete if you aren't hunched over in the cab looking up at them:
Attachment:
windshield.burn.jpg
windshield.burn.jpg [ 19.22 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]

If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I'd do it this way. It's just a whole lot of bother. I might put them on the outside, or do something completely different. Hopefully I won't find out...until I build my second car!

I adapted a suggestion by Jack (I think) to accurately center-punch the roll bar for drilling. I wrapped tape around the punch to fit the hole, as I didn't have any rubber tube small enough.
Attachment:
windshield.punch.jpg
windshield.punch.jpg [ 37.64 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]

It worked well. One or two of the holes ended up very close to the glass, such that the bolt would have pointed too much toward the glass, per Chuck's concern. On these, I "cheated" the hole and drilled at an angle close to parallel with the glass, instead of toward the center of the roll bar. This made tapping a challenge, but was worth it.

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 1:17 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

So I went all over town looking for rubber trim. (Somehow I didn't see the posts above until today...wish I had!) Everyone looked at me like I was asking for a space modulator when I told them what I wanted. I went to body shops, auto shops, glass shops, a rubber shop (not that kind!) with no luck AT ALL!

Finally, at the second glass shop, I pressed harder, asking them if they could look in their catalogs or something. Bubba said, "Well, we got some bulldozer trim." A brief conversation later, we realized that was pretty much EXACTLY WHAT I'D BEEN DESCRIBING FOR TEN MINUTES!!! :roll:

Okay, not exactly, but close enough. It's sort of a K-shaped trim:
Attachment:
windshield.trim.profiles.jpg
windshield.trim.profiles.jpg [ 29.78 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]

The top grove fits the glass and the bottom grove fits a plain sheet metal edge.

The side grove accepts a "lock strip," which clamps the other two groves tight so nothing moves. You can see the lock strip to the left, near my thumb. It's really a pretty clever deal.

The lock strip is a pain to install. Soapy water is your friend!!! I tried several methods, including a plastic mallet, a screwdriver, a hard plastic spoon-type thing, and various mythoprofanical invocations, and eventually got it all locked together. The fit was snug, but I was surprised that I could still move it on the glass a bit. I guess if it were mounted on sheet metal it might fit tighter, or maybe there was still wet soap in the grove.

Anyway, I picked up the glass to admire its sparkling beauty:
Attachment:
windshield.fuck.you.jpg
windshield.fuck.you.jpg [ 42.24 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]

If you ask me, I'd rather have less sparkle and more beauty. :evil: :BH: :furious:

At this point *ANY* chance of getting the inspection that day was completely blown away. He might let me get away with no fenders (not actually required in our state, TTBOMK) or paint, but no inspector worth his badge is going to overlook a broken windshield. Heck, I considered going down with NO windshield...my odds would have been better, I think.

Dang.

I figured diagnostics were in order. I profiled the parabolic path of the mallet, made a few percussive tests on the concrete floor, and decibel-verified my vocal capacity. With all tests complete successes, I turned out the lights and went to bed.

Poop.

Mallet? Remember the mallet? I think I got too comfy whacking the trim pretty hard when installing the aluminum trim. This, of course, was beating on the edge of the glass. Installing the lock strip was beating on the face of the glass, which is not nearly so strong. Now I wasn't hitting it nearly so hard, and I did have the glass well supported (by the trim itself), but I guess I got carried away. Funny thing is, I did not noticed the crack when it occurred.

Sigh.

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 1:29 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

So I went back to the garage, to see if maybe it wasn't cracked...coulda been a spider web or a funny reflection. (Who says da Nile is a river in Egypt?) Nope...still cracked.

I kinda like the look of it on the car, even though it's a bit chunky:
Attachment:
windshield.trim.scuttle.jpg
windshield.trim.scuttle.jpg [ 37.17 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]

But I think I decided I like the looks a little better reversed, with the lock strip forward. It thins down the bulk of it, I think:
Attachment:
windshield.trim.reversed.jpg
windshield.trim.reversed.jpg [ 58.76 KiB | Viewed 2265 times ]

At least I've got a shiny, burnt, pocked, cracked template to drop off at the glass shop Monday morning. *sigh*

If I keep this trim, I'll have to trim it a bit (trim the trim?). However, I might order some of that other stuff...it looks far more forgiving than what I have.

Well, that's it for tonight. While I missed my deadline and busted a $75 piece of glass, I'm not actually upset about the week. It's been great obsessively getting out in the shop again, I've made some good progress, and I've committed to facing my inspection phobia. This coming week is looking prime for getting my pre-VIN inspection complete.

Thanks for your attention. I'm going to cry now.

-dave "boo freakin hoo" hempy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 56  Next