LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently February 24, 2020, 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 7:17 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I didn't realize you were looking for that type of glass molding. I added Auveco to the supplier forum.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7182

Auveco has a lot of special fasteners and moldings that are hard to find, as well as universal upholstery fasteners. I received 1/2" drain plugs and ford type windshield molding clips a couple weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 8:59 am 

Your making good headway Dave. I find that the build gets very tiresome when you near the inspection. It is very intimidating. The key is to just keep working on it. I cracked my first windshield myself. I had no idea how it happened. When I installed my windshield for the first time, it looked great. A few days later, when I was in the garage, I noticed a crack in the windshield. I had no idea what caused it, and I got very mad at the world. I was only a couple days away from getting my safety done. I to had to spend another $75 to get a new one. Haven't had a problem since.

Keep up the good work!

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 9:03 am 

Sounds like your motivation is still in the right place, which will be key. It's probably worth being extra clear with the glasscutter that you want the new piece the exact size of the old piece since they cut the last one undersize from the template. Also a transfer punch would be the "right" way to do the tape wrapped punch thing, and since harbor freight carries them you almost should have a set.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3577

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 10:13 am 

Hey Dave,
I too stressed excessively over my inspection/registration process. I think I stressed over each and every milestone of my build, so far. Just like every other milestone on the build the inspection turned out to be much less traumatic than the anticipation. Keep pluggin away at it, and you will soon be trying to figure out where to mount that stupid ugly license plate that big brother issues you.

'79 Alfa Spider Veloce
http://tomsuppa.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 11:25 am 

Sorry to hear about your setback. Keep plugging away and you'll get-er-done.

I've not gotten to the windshield part yet on my build but have installed a windshield in my other toy. I cracked 1 layer of the glass in an obscure corner. I added some crack repair liquid (some form of superglue?) that seeps into the crack. It has not grown in length in 8 years.

:idea: I offer this as an alternative to hammering in the wedge strip in the rubber. If it sounds OK to you, then try it. If not then don't take the chance. Wrap a few turns of tape over the tips of some channel-lock pliers to prevent damage to the rubber. Squeeze the strip into the rubber rather than beating it into place.

Anyway, lets hope that your work doesn't interfere with your car prepthis week.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 4:09 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Thanks, everyone! I'll be picking up a transfer punch set, for sure...thanks for the tip.

MiataV8 - Great catalog. I've saved a copy and I'm sure I'll be going to it frequently. I ordered some of the McMaster-Carr stuff posted on the last page last night...it looks pretty ideal.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: August 10, 2009, 12:56 am 

Are you going to have the glass shop upsize your template a little bit. I thought I remembered reading that you said that if you were to do it over again you would have made it a bit bigger. Here is your chance.

PostPosted: August 10, 2009, 9:42 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I did tweak the template a bit. Gotta make liabilities into opportunities, right? Just dropped the glass off this morning. It went like this:

"I liked the first one so much, I'll take another just like it!"

"Uh-huh...How'd you break it?"

*blush*

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 1:28 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I just picked up my replacement windshield. Total cost? *zero* They wouldn't charge me for it. They wouldn't even bill me for the materials.

Anyone in central/east Kentucky, please take your glass business to Justice Shamrock Glass. Looks like they have 8 locations from Ashland to Frankfort to London. 800-432-9343.

Inspection highly likely this week. Maybe tomorrow?

-dave "end of well-deserved plug" hempy

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 1:57 pm 

Dave, that is great!!! Got any trips planned this fall? Russ

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 2:09 pm 
The voice of reason

I'll cross my fingers, good luck!

Post subject: Inspection (NOT!)
PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 6:13 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I got up early and towed the Seven to the Sherrif's office first thing Saturday morning. They close at noon Saturday, so I got there at 11.

Had the all-too-familiar discussion I've had so many times with so many bureaucrats on this project:

[Chorus]

"It doesn't have a VIN"

"Look in the corner of the windshield"

"Nope. No VIN there. I built it from scratch"

"Yes it does. It comes from the manufacturer with one."

"I am the manufacturer. I have the form here titled 'Application for VIN' from the capital. See?"

"Well, the company you bought the kit from should give it a VIN."

"There was no kit. I bought some steel and built a car."

"Well, we can't inspect a car without a VIN."

"Yes you can...here's the letter I got back from the capital telling me to come to you and have you inspect it. They included a checklist of tail lights, horns, seat belts and such. See?"

About this time, another receptionist walked by, overheard "No VIN," and said, "Look in the corner of the windshield."

Do me a favor and save me some typing...scroll up and re-read:

[Chorus]

So, they decided I'd have to wait until the deputy on shift got back to the station in a few minutes and talk to him.

He arrived, asked if that was my dune buggy on the trailer, and I said, "Yes!" Before we got any farther, the receptionist told him that it didn't have a VIN.

[Chorus]

"Well, I can't help you," (even though you have state-issued forms telling me what to do) "...so you'll have to come back Monday and talk to Po Po O'Malley. He'll know what to do."

*sigh*

I'm hoping to visit Deputy Po Po Tuesday or Wednesday...we'll see how work goes.

-dave "polite persistence" hempy

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 6:18 pm 

Po Po ?????

[repeat chorus] :-)

Mikey "ex-Bluegrass-er" Bynum

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 7:09 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Took the Seven to a CKR SCCA autocross today...FUN FUN FUN!!!

I brought a co-worker along. He's never autocrossed, and I don't think he's driven a stick shift in about ten years. But, we got Clark signed up all the same...why not put him on slicks for his inaugural race? :twisted:

I'm pretty sure he had a blast...he sure was smiling a lot, anyway. We were doing great until the fuel filter clogged up late in the day. I blew it out to clean it a bit :ack: and it we got another run or two out of it until it completely gave up the ghost. I picked up two more filters on the way home.

FWIW, this is a cheapie see-through plastic filter, first thing out of the tank. There's the Miata high-pressure filter after the pump, before the injectors. I recommend this approach to protect the pump and the high-dollar filter downstream.

Later, Gators.

-dave

Post subject: Nose heavy?
PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 7:14 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

You know...I've gotten a lot of funny looks for using an eye-bolt for a shift knob. Comes in handy, though...

-dave "hanging from a thread" hempy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 56  Next