OK. So it's been some time since I've posted and a bit has happened since in life and the car.
Um, Got the car on it's feet with all mechanical stuff working. Fired it, and drove it around the shop a little until a frostplug blew out. I've removed the heater tubes and the frost plug wasn't snug enough. Found one 0.008" larger and should be good. Other things I learned: my "self bleeding" cooling system doesn't self bleed. It's no worse than the factory setup, but I'd hoped to make it better. My rear springs are too stiff by about 40lbs/inch. Likely need a smaller bore for my rear brake m/c. Also found that it's pretty easy to blaze the tires
So life wise: I had some health problems, lost my job, and lost motivation to do much for a while. That combined with other things has given me a new lowest point in my life. On the brighter side, I feel pretty good now that I'm not longer going to work somewhere I dislike. The time off gave me a chance to figure some things out and realize that I can still do the things I want w/o killing myself working. I also have a new girlfriend and things are looking good there too. I guess there is some truth to the saying that the brightest things come after the darkest times....
So I began working on the car again. Although I can't spend much money while unemployed, I do have lots of time time and luckily I'd bought some material beforehand. Started by making some tunnel panels, and mounting some misc items. I then formed the rear panel which went pretty well. I didnt work it perfect which resulted in some extra metal in the middle; Giving it a curved, but uniform back. Honestly, I think it looks better this way once so I will pretend I meant to do that heh. For anyone reading this who hasn't formed their back panel yet, anneal the whole top and bottom edge where you will be folding it. I only did the corners and it would have been much better if I'd done all the edges.
I then moved onto my side panels. No annealing, but it would have been less hammering if I had. No extra material. Im confident that once I get a bit of filler and paint on the car it will look reasonable. Not meant to be a show car.
So then I mounted the rear Steamroller fenders but haven't trimmed them to shape yet. These are SUPER easy to install. I havent decided what fasteners to use to attach the glass to the aluminum yet. So far all body panels are just held on with #8 self tapping screws to be replaced with 1/8" rivets. I also figured out where the nose was going to sit and set it in place. Still need to add some tabs to hold it.
Then came the scuttle which I have been playing with off and on for a while. So far with no success heh. I started off trying to make it out of aluminum formed over a wood buck, but didn't win. So then filled the wood buck with foam and shaped it to suit. Covered in tape and laid some fiberglass over it. Well, the exopy got through the tape and melted the foam. So then I tried what the audio guys do, and stretched some fabric over the buck and coated it with resin. Even with wax it still solidly attached to the buck, and it had sagged. This option would likely work well if you used a stretchier fabric, and left the wood in the buck. I think my next attempt will either be the foam again except buy the resin that doesn't melt it. Or try aluminum again with more experience from the back panel. Not ruling out the fabric method either as it is cheap enough to try again. Just end up cutting out as much of the wood as possible.
Once I get my scuttle set, I can make the hoods.... Note the plural. I've decided to make my hood in 2 pieces since the cutout for the blower would be so large as to make a singular hood too flimsy. I also need to cut a large hole in the rear of the nose with a lip for the radiator exhaust, and build the ducting to get the air to go out it.
I also need to repair some damaged wiring from my metal throttle cable contacting the + batt terminal. Cable got smoking hot and melted a bunch of wires that were touching it. That was a little scary as it could have happened when I wasn't there and set the shop afire. I thought I was safe because my battery disconnect switch was off. Not so much.
Some pictures of the progress here. http://picasaweb.google.com/C10CoryM
The November albums are new, and maybe a few others. Starting to get a sense for how the car will look.
If you want any clarification please ask. I will gladly share any info I have. Not sure how much more progress I can make before I start making money again, but I will keep at it.
PS: most pics the front of the car is on higher stands and the front suspension is at full droop while the rear is at ride height. Also only 1x tire is the correct size. My nice RA1s are sitting at home nice and warm